WitchHazel

MicroPedi

I saw this advertised on TV a while back, and I was interested in trying it. I'm very heavy on my feet, spend a lot of time standing up, and hard skin develops very quickly. I've spent a small fortune over the years on various s"Ooops, word censored!"ers and exfoliants, or pedicures and garrufa fish, and usually end up coming back to my rather barbaric-looking razor blade thingummy.

The razor thing (which is the sort off thing that prodessional pedicurists use) is OK as long as I concentrate while I am doing it. The problem I find is that (a) I need to do it while my feet are soaked which means I try to do it in the shower, standing on one leg and slicing the other one; and (b) I often lapse in concentration, which menas I sometimes cut at the wrong angle, or a bit too deep. and end up cutting myself. I don't mind that too much, but footpad cuts do tend to bleed rather profusely, and it's a bit sore for the rest of the day.

Anyway, This battery operated foot sander thing looked like it would be worth a go. I was a bit put off by the price. I paid £39.99 in Boots. I could have got it £5 cheaper online, but I had a number of Boots Vouchers which made it worth buying from them. However, my feet really needed sorting out, it's used on dry feet, so I though I'd buy it anyway.

I've just tried it. It worked really well. Fortunately, I decided to sit on the swing outside and do it. It grinds the hard skin to a very, very fine powder, and so there is a lot of it. I now know that if I plan to do it indoors, I'd better put a towel down, or newspaper, or something.

I know it won't be for everyone, especially at that price. But it worked for me and in my circumstances it was worth paying the money.

Anyone else used it?

EDITED TO ADD: in no way affiliated with the company who makes it, or with Boots. Nor have I been in any way shape or form incentivised to promote this.

I had a microplane one which I think is similar, good idea using it outside, it used to look like it had snowed after I'd used it :oops: I found it good to start with but then found I was having to use it more and more often.

My current favourite is a Margaret Dabbs set that I got from QVC which has a foot scrub, foot soak sandpaper type metal file and an amazing citrus smelling moisturising oil, which is brilliant.

I had a microplane one which I think is similar, good idea using it outside, it used to look like it had snowed after I'd used it :oops: I found it good to start with but then found I was having to use it more and more often.

I have a Microplane one too. The action of the Microplane (and the Pedi Egg, another one of my attempts at finding something suitable) is like using a fine cheese grater on the feet.

The Mediped isn't the same. It's literally like a mini sized electric sander. It doesn't grate/slice the hard skin off, it uses sandpaper to sand it off. It's probably more similar to the Margaret Dabbs foot file , which also sands - but this is battery operated so is much quicker and less effort than doing it manually.

Edited to add: I feel better about spending so much on it now that I've seen the Margaret Dabbs foot file is £24. :D

I wouldn't dream of trying to cut hard skin myself - :shock: - there's a serious risk of infection where feet are concerned, and anyone with diabetes or circulatory problems could be in real danger.

I have had a lifelong problem with hard skin, and now I see the chiropodist every six weeks, I can't imagine where I'd be without her. I wear sensible shoes, wear trainers as much as possible and moisturise my feet every night but I've just become resigned to the fact that this is the way I am.

I don't think I'll be going back to DIY as long as I can afford the chiropodist, but it's interesting to get a recommendation on something like this because I'm never convinced these things really work, and the 'grater' type always look a bit scary to me. If you compare what you spent with the cost of even a pedicure, let alone a state-registered podiatrist treatment, it sounds like good value.

The Margaret Dabbs footfile is expensive but I got the whole set for not much more than the cost of the file when it was a Today's special value on QVC :D

So what you've got is basically a Black and Decker sander for feet :lol: Mind you it probably does the job in a fraction of the time it takes with a file, which I must confess makes my back ache sometimes :(

I'm for the Chiropodist too. She's the only one that can sort my feet properly and deal with the corns etc caused by the 'Booker' feet (thanks Mum and Nana Booker) :cry:

I did have a Chiropodist once who used a Dremel on my toes (honestly) and it was brill! I think he had better control down there than I would up here though so I've not tried it :lol:

Sorry to be so dim....what is the differnce between a pedicure and a chiropodist? I have had several pedicures and my most successful one which I have been using for the last year, removes dry, hard dead skin with one of those knife things along with lots of warm water and moisturising. Of course with a pedicure I get my toes painted as well. My feet suffer from hard skin, so I do wonder which is the best for my feet. I moisturise my feet daily. I have looked at our local chirpodist's website and the fees are double at least to what I pay for a pedicure. '

A pedicure is usually cosmetic - it may involve hard skin removal but usually the person doing has a background in beauty treatments and it's more like a manicure for the feet. I wouldn't let anyone untrained use a knife on my feet!

A chiropodist is trained to diagnose and treat foot complaints, so as well as cutting out corns, callouses etc they can deal with ingrowing toenails, recommend footwear and support insoles and so on, and identify problems. They certainly do charge more than a beautician, and they won't paint your nails either! :lol:

and my most successful one which I have been using for the last year, removes dry, hard dead skin with one of those knife things along with lots of warm water and moisturising. '

Yes, that's the knife thingy that previously I have always ended up going back to. It's OK when someone else (trained) does it, but I find it hard work when I do it myself, as I have to keep my feet soaked. You can't use that sort of thing on dry feet, otherwise you risk the problems that Olly taked about.

T

So what you've got is basically a Black and Decker sander for feet Mind you it probably does the job in a fraction of the time it takes with a file, which I must confess makes my back ache sometimes :(

Yes, that's about right :lol:

It was very quick,and stops if you put too much pressure on. Much less effort (I found) than using a Ped Egg, Microplane, or a file.

Another vote for Ped-Egg here ...

Same here. But not sure my feet will ever be classed as attractive! And up for trying anything different... Might have a look into this new gadget when I find some money - thanks for the recomendation!