Plum Posted August 5, 2012 Author Share Posted August 5, 2012 Thanks Lesley for sorting us out and making a good job of the swap, no dramas this time I've put the postcards on the first page of this thread so you can see them all together Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
freddie Posted August 5, 2012 Share Posted August 5, 2012 this is mine!11 many thanks to the secret sewer! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jennifer Jane Posted August 5, 2012 Share Posted August 5, 2012 This is mine: and with the maran card: I am still thrilled with it. (Hope the pics come out ok - I always struggle with them on here Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jennifer Jane Posted August 5, 2012 Share Posted August 5, 2012 Thanxs for organising this one Lesley. It was good fun trying to think of something & well done to everyone who took part. We are such a varied & talented group I second that - thanks Lesley And well done to all of us Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 5, 2012 Share Posted August 5, 2012 Wow, two more lovely cards! Well done everyone I don't suppose it's too much of a secret now if anyone wants to ask questions about their postcards? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted August 5, 2012 Author Share Posted August 5, 2012 Another couple of fabulous cards. Well done all Me first - how do you crochet into the card without tearing or making wopping holes? It's beautiful I shall use that idea Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 5, 2012 Share Posted August 5, 2012 I wondered that as well Plum...... I'd like to know if there is a narrow fabric edging on mine or is it the edge of the fabric? Is it a coloured fabric or was it dyed? Does that make sense? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted August 5, 2012 Author Share Posted August 5, 2012 It's hand dyed egyptian cotton ribbon from 'Images of Egypt' that's zigazagged on. I got it ages ago and didn't know what to do with it but couldn't resist buying it - as you do So many questions for all the postcards. How did my swapee put the colour on the rice paper. Could use that technique to pimp my cakes Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scubababe Posted August 5, 2012 Share Posted August 5, 2012 To paint on the rice paper I just used edible coloured powder and a paint brush. To make the colour darker dip your paint brush in either Vodka or Gin and the colour. (The alcohol evaporates...sorry ) (P.S I used vodka!!!! ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chuckmum6 Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 (Hope the pics come out ok - I always struggle with them on here You need to reduce the size in photobucket to fit the whole image on. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted August 6, 2012 Author Share Posted August 6, 2012 To paint on the rice paper I just used edible coloured powder and a paint brush. To make the colour darker dip your paint brush in either Vodka or Gin and the colour. (The alcohol evaporates...sorry ) (P.S I used vodka!!!! ) I reached for the card then. The window and flowers card is charming Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jennifer Jane Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 (Hope the pics come out ok - I always struggle with them on here You need to reduce the size in photobucket to fit the whole image on. I remembered that afterwards I will eventually get the hang of it. I'd like to know about the crochet edging as well, it is so effective. Also the beautiful felt sheep postcard - is that needle felted? Something I'd like to try. I'd love to know how my glass postcard was made also - I wouldn't know where to start. I don't think I'm artistic enough to paint glass, though I would love to have a go. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 Also the beautiful felt sheep postcard - is that needle felted? Something I'd like to try. The felt sheep is a combination of wet felting and needle felting with embroidery. I stitched it onto a plain postcard but wish I hadn't as it looks better without - if I was Emma I'd unpick the stitching Emma had guessed it was made by me and wants to know how it was made..........but I feigned surprise I can post some stage photos of Daisy the sheep if you want Emma? It's hand dyed egyptian cotton ribbon from 'Images of Egypt' that's zigazagged on. I got it ages ago and didn't know what to do with it but couldn't resist buying it - as you do Thanks Plum - I thought it was an edging but your sewing is so neat that I wasn't sure. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted August 6, 2012 Author Share Posted August 6, 2012 We're not very good at secret swaps I knew it was yours straight away Lesley I'd like to see the stages Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chuckmum6 Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 The glass postcard, is fused glass, which needs a kiln. It was made using egg shell thick fragments of glass, plus some sparklely glass called Dichroic glass and frit which is crushed glass for the sky and grass. It is sandwiched between to pieces of clear glass which allows the bubbles - rain drops to form. It heats to 1450f and takes the best part of a day to fuse and cool, it is magical to open the kiln and see the results. I have been experimenting with glass works as I am going to make a stain glass window with the 9-11yr old at school as part of my art lessons. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted August 6, 2012 Author Share Posted August 6, 2012 Wow wish I was 9 again I am so in awe of what you've done Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 6, 2012 Share Posted August 6, 2012 We're not very good at secret swaps I knew it was yours straight away Lesley I'd like to see the stages Somebody else has made a felt card as well, we won't have the photo until the recipinent comes back from holiday........it might not have been mine! I'll post a new thread..... but I think I only have two photos...... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
PurpleTree Posted August 7, 2012 Share Posted August 7, 2012 The glass postcard, is fused glass, which needs a kiln. It was made using egg shell thick fragments of glass, plus some sparklely glass called Dichroic glass and frit which is crushed glass for the sky and grass. It is sandwiched between to pieces of clear glass which allows the bubbles - rain drops to form. It heats to 1450f and takes the best part of a day to fuse and cool, it is magical to open the kiln and see the results. I have been experimenting with glass works as I am going to make a stain glass window with the 9-11yr old at school as part of my art lessons. Wow! I'd love to have a go at that. So clever Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted August 12, 2012 Share Posted August 12, 2012 Didn't have time to join in with this one, but they are all amazing Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...