LolaLayla

We are thinking of getting a puppy

I am thinking about getting a puppy. This has been ongoing for about 2 years......I am nothing if not cautious! However am soon going to see some small poodle pups. I woke up this morning in a state of panic wondering if I was doing the right thing. However I did exactly the same thing about the hens! I have thought and thought about all the difficulties that may arise. I suffer from allergies so that is a consideration and also how long to leave a dog? I am mainly at home so that is ok. My OH is a bit negative :( .He is talking about the mess etc but as I clean up after the hens I would do the same for a dog. I suppose I worry about the length of commitment and holidays (although we hardly go anywhere). Also the children (all 18 and over now) have agreed to help but of course their circumstances will change over the years.

Why am I such a worrier :?

I felt like that before we got Riley but it's honestly been the best thing we've ever done :D . It was either that or a 3rd child but I think I made the right decision :lol: .

It helps to have a few people to call on for dog-sitting (or just get the dog used to kennels early on!). I too worried about leaving a dog in the house as I worked part-time but it worked out fine. There's not much mess with a dog, I don't think, a bit of fur (but perhaps not with a poodle?) and just a few poos a day to pick up. More at the start with a puppy but that doesn't last too long. Re allergies, have you seen Tibetan terriers? So cute and don't shed fur!

I think it sounds like a brilliant idea :D .

I was exactly the same when we finally agreed to get our puppy. It took 3 years to change hubbys mind, as we first spoke about it and the decision was dog or chickens. And chickens won :lol: I was awake at night thinking I don't know if I can do this. What if I do something wrong? I was the same about having kids and getting the chickens. I take it as a healthy sign that you are not just going into something without thinking about it. All I can suggest is read lots about what things will be like with regards to training etc just so you know the basics and just love your puppy. I certainly will when we bring our girl home in just under a months time :D

Well I have put the deposit down! Still worrying of course but the owner says she will take her back if circumstances change which I know you cannot rely on for ever but it does give a bit of a safety net if for instance we are horribly allergic or anything like that.

LolaLayla, how exciting! And good that you are worrying - you should be worried if you are not worrying :lol: At least you know you will probably have thought of all possible problems/scenarios and what to do in case they arise.

Poodles are lovely, especially if allowed to be 'proper' dogs and not daft, manicured fashion accessories. Good that the breeder is willing to take the pup back in case of problems too, that is a reassurance. Make sure you keep us posted and have fun shopping for all the bits and bobs the pup will need!

I bought a car this weekend - a 1 year old Kia Rio to replace my teeny tiny little Kia Picanto that I have had for nearly 8 years. I love my little car and will be sad to see it go, but it's developed a few problems recently that will cost nearly as much as the car is worth to fix, plus I had been thinking about getting a slightly bigger (and more comfortable) car for some time, as I have to do some long journeys for work. I'm picking it up tomorrow and am very excited!

Thanks all. We have a couple of weeks until we get her and are thinking of names and of what we need to get. We quite like Lara however this means different things to different people. I think of Dr Zivago (sp?) but younger folks think Tomb Raider :shock: I really am not sure :? We had a springer when I was little (looking back I was probably allergic to him) but there were no crates etc then. I am sure there are a lot of differing views :? I think I will get a stair gate to try to keep her in the utility if I go out and some sort of crate for the rear of my estate car. Perhaps I should start a thread asking for advice :?

LB how exciting to get a new car.....have fun driving it :D

We have got a crate for our puppy as from what I've read they like to have somewhere to go that they feel safe. The owners of her mum also crate their dogs so she will be used to it. We can also use the crate in the car and if we are allowed to bring her with us when visiting the in laws then she'll have her 'safe area' with her.

I have yet to buy things for my pup, but my mum (a notorious disliker of pets) gave us a collar and lead and a brush :D I have seen the water bowl I want to get (the one that was on the Dragons den which they turned down)

I agree - a new thread for this is needed. You can share mine if you like :D

You maybe have seen my post on another thread about us getting a poodle puppy in a few weeks, when she is 8 weeks old. She is a mix of miniature and toy. I have no idea what I need to get. My only ideas are that at night and if I need her to be enclosed somewhere during the day I will put her in the utility room (which is actually in the middle of the house - velux window) and have a stair gate over the door so that she is not excluded from things. It has carpet tiles at the moment but I will replace that with cushion floor. I would also like to take her out in my estate car so I will need to get some sort of cage for that. I am not sure how big she will get as her mum is toy x miniature and dad is quite a large miniature. However she is not the largest of the pups so I hope she will not grow too big.

I found this book to be very useful when we raised our dog:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0600614263/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=4131285223&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2132684972884061674&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_3k6ijlfg4s_e

The utility room idea is a good one, we used a puppy playpen which is a similar idea, a crate for overnight may also be useful

You can get dog seatbelts for the car or use a crate

That looks a good book. I have found a website for our pup http://www.about-cocker-spaniels.com/ which has literally pages of info but I think is not for your breed of pup! I need to sift through it and take in what is relevant for us.

We have an unused double pedestal desk in our hallway which has a foot-well space as large as her crate which we are going to fix a mesh door on so she is safe, the cats can't attack her (and visa versa) she can see what is going on in the kitchen and we can keep her away from the cats at night so they all have their own space. However, if she isn't fully house-trained when she comes home, then she will live in the crate in the kitchen as that has a lino floor and our hallway has an almost 1 year old carpet on it :roll:

I can't offer any advice on crates - my last experience of having a puppy was about 16 years ago as a teenager and I don't think crates were as widely used then. We certainly didn't have one for our pup. Hubby and I have never bothered with a crate for Tango as we got her as an adult rescue. I would think that the utility room ought to work well as a 'safe space' for the pup, and somewhere you can pop her when you need her to settle, and at night time.

As Redwing has said, you can use a crate in the car (either a metal crate or soft fabric crate) or a seatbelt harness. We use a harness for Tango, it's an Ezydog harness designed for use both in the car and as a walking harness. It works well for us, as we can just unclip her harness from the car and then clip the lead on and go - no struggling in and out of harnesses to get in and out of the car. You could also put a dog guard in the boot and have the dog travel in there, it's personal preference really.

I would definitely suggest getting a book or reading some of the dog forums before pup arrives (but be aware some of the dog forums are quite scary!). You'll find good advice there on the basics and what sort of things you need to get. I'd suggest not going too mad buying stuff before pup arrives, as long as she has somewhere to sleep, something to eat and drink and a toy to play with you'll not go too far wrong. Other bits and bobs can be added as necessary (and you'll find loads of lovely things to waste your money on once you start looking!). Have fun!

My only ideas are that at night and if I need her to be enclosed somewhere during the day I will put her in the utility room (which is actually in the middle of the house - velux window) and have a stair gate over the door so that she is not excluded from things.

We used a stair gate to keep Poppy in the kitchen and family room as it was easy clean flooring :D:D then we couldn't understand how she greeted us on the other side, She was small enough to squeeze through the bars and she was an 8 week lab so probably much bigger than your puppy.

We got a crate for Poppy, we had not been keen on the idea but it was recommended by a friend who had labs, it was the best thing we did, Poppy is now 8 and sleeps in her crate and Millie our newer lab had a crate from when she came to us at 7 weeks. It is somewhere safe for them to go, for example when grandchildren were little it protected them from over friendly toddlers :D:D

How exciting for you.

I am very tempted by a Sussex spaniel puppy if friends of ours are success at breeding from their dog, but without DD and DS at home some of the time not sure if I could cope with a puppy at the moment, if the dog has a litter some serious thinking wil need to be done :wink:

Chrissie

Thanks for the stair gate information. I will not bother getting one but look at crates. I bought a small one for my broody silkies but I am not sure what size I should get for the pup :?

It is good to get some offers of help. My children all seem quite keen at the moment. However I have been in a similar position with other pets :roll:

You maybe have seen my post on another thread about us getting a poodle puppy in a few weeks, when she is 8 weeks old. She is a mix of miniature and toy. I have no idea what I need to get.

Stock up on newspapers. :wink: And Vetbed (synthetic fleece) is fantastic (can be washed in the washing machine).

Another vote here for having a puppy crate but never put the puppy in there as a punishment or she will learn to hate it. A breeder told me that putting an adult crate-trained dog in its crate gives it "permission to go off duty".

First two or three nights give her a hot water bottle (not too hot, obviously) wrapped in a towel, as this will help her get over being separated from mum and her siblings.

She will need things to chew with her little piranha teeth, so that she doesn't chew furniture etc. I gave my puppy empty, washed-out milk/fruit juice cartons - having cut off any plastic spout - and small cardboard boxes to tear up. Also the plastic trays that supermarkets sell croissants in (removing it from the puppy when it started to look unsafe).

Never give a dog cow's milk - it will give a dog diarrohea - but you can give goat's milk. I used to give my puppy 200ml goats milk first thing and last thing.

We crated our puppy. She is now 3 yrs old and still uses her crate. She loves it. We've always kept it in the living room so that she was always part of things, even when we needed to stop her from getting under our feet (if we had visitors or were hoovering or something). She never chewed furniture or barked/cried through the night.

I can't recommend the crate highly enough. It's still so cute to see Bella pawing at the crate door to get to bed.

Lx

Crate training is the way to go LolaLayla; apart from anything else it makes things so much easier if they need to go to the vet. A crate with a blanket covering it gives them security when they need it and a place to snooze when they need a rest. When Ruby was a puppy she'd always go straight to her crate when Rosie had friends around as she was frightened by noisy kids.

Glad to hear that you're thinking about travelling too; by law dogs must be restrained in the car; that means either a fixed barrier, crate, or harness + seatbelt adaptor. A crate in the boot is good until the dog has learned to 'wait' when you open the tailgate and not just bound out. It will also help them to feel secure and less inclined to be travel sick.

As for reading... The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey is one which most dog people recommend.

When we gor Ziggy our Border Terrier we got a crate. She loved it. She sleeps in a bed in the kitchen now but we still have the crate and she travels in that if we are going anywhere by car. She also sleeps in it if we stay at my daughters. She has never chewed anything and was house trained after only 2 weeks. I definately recommend them :lol: mind you - her favourite mode of transport in on the trike - she is secured by a harness and sits there proudly wearing her bandana and Doggles!!