KateH

Sexing Silkies

Hello! I bought three silkies yesterday. Two are 15weeks (gold and black) and one around 10 weeks (white). I know they are hard to sex so I tried to get the ones with the most pom pom hair do but looking at them this morning I am worried some are cocks :(

I'd love anyones opinion:

This is the younger white one:

white1.jpg

white2.jpg

This is one of the older ones:

gold3.jpg

gold2.jpg

gold1.jpg

And here is the black one:

black3.jpg

black2.jpg

and all three:

silkies.jpg

I also know they are not the best example of the breed :oops:

Thanks in advance!

you probably won't get anyone sexing them with categoric confidence until they start crowing.

I've had several silkies over the years and I've never got it right until then...including - very sadly - a much wanted showgirl who turned into a show'boy' much to everyone's surprise!

I could only tell mine was a boy when he practiced his crowing, I look at him now and nothing tells me he is a boy, the other two boys different breeds from my Easter hatch are clearly boys lovely red combs and wattles.

I think you may have to play the waiting game.

Good luck

Chrissie

The White looks female, the gold looks bit boyish and the black more male than female

If they were mine I'd probably hedge my bets and keep them

Were you sold them as females? An experienced breeder should know, I am quite new to Silkies so I keep mine longer than I need to 'just in case'

Thanks for the replies.

Yes they were sold as females and they said I could exchange if they turn out male but it will probably take a long time to tell for sure and there may be no birds available then I guess? I don't think they have been breeding silkies long; I did the best I could with my limited (non-existent) experience to pick the most bouffant of the lot! Even if i exchange now i'll be in the same boat as I'll have to pick again from the same pens. Guess i'd better just wait it out and keep my fingers crossed. I guess I should have found a reputable breeder and tried to get hold of birds from last years hatching....but i was so excited about having chickens again i couldn't wait.

Hi

I keep silkies and have had this happen twice as they are very difficult to sex, mine started crowing (albeit sounding like he was strangled!) at about 18 weeks and then really began to look like a boy - so as suggested its a bit of waiting game...

The white one looks identical to mine and SHE is a good egg layer, the golden one has the head and plumage of a girlie but her posture looks a little masculine, the black one looks like a male BUT i've had lots of silkies look identical to this who never crow and lay regularly :lol .

I started a thread like this a few weeks back regarding my golden silkie chicks and we are still none the wiser.

Damn Silkies, you just have to wait until they crow or lay.

Sorry not much help.

Adam

Thanks, i do hate waiting, the longer you wait the more attached you get and i definitely can't keep a boy! They are such sweet little things too. When/if they start crowing, do they just do it at dawn or do they start practicing through the day? Just hoping i can catch them at it before the neighbours start complaining...

Hello KateH / Kit06 Whether or not your Silkies are perfect examples they are very pretty :D As to their sex, I could hazard a guess but as it would only be a guess I think I'll hold off and agree with others that you will have to wait. When a HE starts to crow it could be any time of day but it will not be as loud as it will get later and is usually more like the gurgling of a slightly strangled cat. But are you absolutely certain your neighbours would object? You might be surprised. I live in a built up area (end of a Victorian terrace with new builds just beyond the garden fence) and people have actually said they like my boy.

If you do have to take one back there could well still be time this year to get another /replacement Silkie as some breeders will sell on very good but not perfect stock at the end of the show season. In fact I've found that the Autumn is the best time to get some really nice looking birds.

Hi,

I have seven silkies and I could tell well before the crowing stage- probably three weeks or so- because of the comb. I call it a 'gargoyle' comb. It will start sprouting quicker than the others and I am sure you will tell in a few more weeks. To me, the first and last look like hens and the middle one looks like it could, possibly, don't take my word for it, turn into a male. I agree with others- wait until they start crowing just to make sure for certain. You might find your neighbours don't mind- they're not that loud. Surprisingly, my mixed breed cockerel who is sussex size crows higher pitched that my tiny red silkie cockerel! He sounds like an orpington- no exaggeration! I wish you all the luck with your silkies.

Heather.

Thanks everyone, the gold one definitely looks like it has space for a larger comb and the black and gold defiantly carry themselves in a more upright position, especially if they are worried about something. The white looks like a girl to my untrained eye as there is lots of fluff on top and not much room for a comb, but that could be because the white is so much younger, also it tends to snuggle down amongst the others when worried. The white one does make me laugh though as she is always talking to herself, a constant stream of cheeping noise :) I really hope we don't get left with just one, how would i introduce new ones? Would I be best sticking with a 1:1 intro or would a 1:2 be ok if the 1 was older and on home turf? I really don't think I could keep a cockeral. I rehomed some LF girls i had as one was particularly noisy early in the morning and while I didn't get any direct complaints - it put my nerves on edge and i was constantly nipping out last summer at 4.30am trying to silence them!

How did you guess?! I think OH would kill me though. I only went to 'look' at these silkies and somehow three of them found their way into my car :shock: Obviously I always have a suitable carrier in the boot and cash in my wallet.... Poor things haven't even got a house to live in yet as sold my cube when I rehomed my LF girls so they are in a rabbit run in the garage with a pet carrier to sleep in (!). I'm awaiting the delivery of a Solway mini hen coop so it will be interesting to see how it compares to the omlet housing i've had in the past (I'm sure it would fit more than 3 silkies in though!).