MiniMinx

HELP!! Ordered Eglu but having second thoughts!!

Hi

I've recently ordered the Eglu but I'm now wondering whether I should have gone for the cube instead?

I'm new to keeping chickens and my hubby thinks we should start off small and that the eglu is ideal but I keep looking at the cube and thinking it looks so much better.

The only issue I have with the cube (apart from justifying the additional expense to my hubby) is whether it can be transported as easily as the Eglu when we go on holiday, as we will be leaving the girls with my parents who live about 2 miles away - is it reasonable to take the wheels of the cube to get it in the back of car or will it be too much hassle?

Any advice is gratefully received. :?

Thanks

Hi, never had an eglu so can't really offer any advice, all I will say (apart from the cube is FANTASTIC and you will almost CERTAINLY want more than three or four chooks) is that the cube is actually VERY BIG. We have a Toyota Previa which has 8 seats, it would go in there with the back seats down, you'd never get it in a smaller car. We started with 5 chooks, never kept chickens before and within a week hubby wanted 4 more! :shock: managed to convince him 2 more was enough and we're already, just under 3 weeks later, getting an average of 4 eggs a day. :dance:

It's the best thing we've done in absolutely ages. You'll love it.

(not helped much tho have I?) :lol:

Mrs Bertie

That is helpful - thanks

Unfortunately we have a MINI so I guess I haven't got a chance of fitting in the back even with the seats down.

Its a shame as they haven't arrived yet and I'm already addicted - I just know I'll end up wanting more chickens

You would definately not be able to transport the cube, it is huge. Actually, i can't imagine getting an eglu into a mini but i'm hopeless at sizes so don't panic. Could your neighbours not watch over your chooks when you go away. Or there are always chicken sitters on the forum who would be willing, there is a list in the chicken sitting section.

We started off with an eglu, and within 5 months got a second one. As we don't have to move our chooks, we are getting a cube but if you really want more, just get another eglu.

Chicken keeping is extremely addictive, there should be a chickaholics anonymous!

But then if you do decide to upgrade, second hand ones fetch good prices, you'd never have trouble selling it, or you could keep it in case any of them are sick, or you decide to hatch eggs under a broody, we've had to keep the box ours came in in case any of them need special attention! What colour did you go for anyway, more importantly! :wink: And any idea what type of chooks you'll get?

Hi - I say go for a cube...you'll only live to regret not having what you really want!

Yes, there are lots of chicken sitters on this forum & you'll probably find that a neighbour will fall in love with your new pets & even offer to look after them when you are away.

I'm lucky, I have a young girl (aged 11) who lives round the corner from me & she is fantastic at looking after my chooks when I'm away. I also have a small animal holiday home place nearby, that would have them if I was stuck as he has some pens for chickens, rabbits, ferrets etc. My mums parrot goes on her holidays there!!! I've got a pet carrier incase I have to transport them anywhere.

Another option might be to buy a huge collapsible dog cage and they could go on their holidays in that - I'd advise bringing the cage indoors at night tho or putting in a garage or shed as I don't know how foxproof one would be. But it is a way round things!

Go on get a cube! Look better value for the money..Well I think so!

Emma.x

If I were you I would go for a CUBE! I got my Eglu from eBay & although it is FAB I would like more chooks, & my son Alexander (alihodg on this forum) & I are saving our pennies for a blue cube :D I am sure that when I do sell my Eglu I will not lose any money on it, hubby said to put it on eBay on a" buy it now" for £250, so I will get back what we paid for it ( apart from the petrol money for the 350 mile round trip to collect it :shock: ).

We have just got a new credit card with 12 months interest free for purchases, & I am severly tempted to use it :D:D:D

currently we've gone for the green eglu (hubbys choice) figured I had to let him have a say over something - especially when he's so kindly sorting out the bottom of the garden for the chooks!

Not sure about the neighbours looking after them, we've only been in our current home 18 months and we are still getting to know the neighbours (though i know one side loves birds so hopefully that may extend to chickens).

So torn now - i think i'm going to have to give some serious thought to it over the weekend (delivery isn't until 7 August anyway).

We've ordered 3 chickens from omlet, 2 gingernuts and 1 pepperpot but I had a phonecall from omlet today to say they were out of pepperpots and they didn't know if they would have anymore in time for my delivery date - if not I'll just have two gingernuts and then will look into getting 1 ...maybe 2 more :D (see i'm already wanting more and they haven't arrived yet - theres just no hope!)

That is helpful - thanks

Unfortunately we have a MINI so I guess I haven't got a chance of fitting in the back even with the seats down.

Its a shame as they haven't arrived yet and I'm already addicted - I just know I'll end up wanting more chickens

I love Minis- we had to sell ours 11 years ago as you couldn't get a pram in it :(

We used to put all the supermarket shopping on the back seat... & I loved the way you could park it almost anywhere :D

We have a Picasso now and although it has all mod cons it doesn't have the character of what Archimedes & then Jeremy used to have, & I have to be really careful where I park it as I'm not too good at that :roll:

Whenever I pass an old Mini I shout to whoever is in the car "MINI!"

Its actually one of the new MINI's that we've got, so while its small with the seats down you can actually fit alot of things in there - its only ever let us down once when we couldnt fit a garden table in the back!

We've even managed to get a cross trainer in there once so i don't think we'd have too many problems fittng the eglu in if thats whats what we go for

The Cube plus one extension is infinitely better than the Eglu plus two extensions: I have both, and I think everyone in that position would agree.

On the other hand, if your garden is big enough, there is quite a lot to be said for starting off with an Eglu this year, and getting a Cube in addition next year (with more chickens, naturally).

The Eglu is a wonderful nursery for new hens, but it feels like a tunnel because of the inadequate width, and the extensions don't do anything to mitigate this. Bigger hens can only stand up straight if they are in the middle, and that doesn't feel right to me.

I know which one I would like to live in if it were scaled up (with ensuite facilities instead of the nesting box).

I have an eglu and a cube which is the best combination :lol: The cube is really big and I would not fancy moving it in a car! The eglu is there for sick hens, holidays etc. I have had the eglu a few years now and sometimes I just let them choose where they want to sleep and they swap around. The cube is so much bigger and much easier to clean out - not so much bending. Any chance of pushing him into getting both :roll:

Omlet need only to fit the Cube with a tow bar and proper wheels and then problem sorted!!!
Couperman

The best of it is, I'm having an orange cube & my little Triumph spitfire car is an orange colour (Vermillion Red ) & it's got a tow bar!!!!!!!

Sorted!!!!! Chooks on tour! :lol:

I will have to make a photoshop photo of this, this will be so funny to see! :lol:

Emma.x

Gallina wrote:

The Eglu is a wonderful nursery for new hens, but it feels like a tunnel because of the inadequate width, and the extensions don't do anything to mitigate this. Bigger hens can only stand up straight if they are in the middle, and that doesn't feel right to me.

Whoops. I ordered a cube yesterday exactly for these reasons. Oh yes 2 more chickens as well. Hoping my husband is not going to notice. :oops: I've only had my eglu for a month and it was fine until I got 2 more hens. Now it definitely feels very tunnel like. The actual eglu is big enough though. :D

I'm having a cube, just so I can have more chickens! I still love my pink eglu tho. The eglu will always be a design classic as it broke the mould of the bog standard chicken house! The name was very clever too...eglu - igloo! Always cracks me up as I imagine my chooks in eskimo furry hoods popping their heads out the door in the winter.

Original girls (3) and 3 new ones going in the cube. 3-4 new hens or 6 bantams going in the mark2 eglu. I'm tempted to get some week old chicks and rear them indoors until they are big enough to put out in the mark2 - would this be easy ish?

Emma.x