Mercedes55

Just about had enough with keeping hens

I'll happily second (and third!) the advice re tarpaulins - I don't have a WIR, but one tarp over my cube run keeps it pretty dry, very cheap option and sorts out "shade" at the same time.

I also use woodchip in the run. I get the humungous bags from Countrywide, it's actually horsebedding (but woodchip rather than wood shavings) and one bag is slightly too much for my Cube Run, but only just, comes in at about £6.50, I think and is brilliant. I like the woodchip from B&Q but I'd have to make a ridiculous journey to a B&Q that's (supposed to) stock it and I find the Countrywide stuff just brilliant (though it probably doesn't last quite as long as the B&Q stuff).

Keep us posted Mercedes, you've done a great thing in rehoming your problem hen and I really hope things settle down and get a bit more manageable for you!!!!!!

i think the weather this summer has driven even the most committed to despair!!

It has been a constant battle keeping on top of leaking roofs and bedding changes etc.

I am going to allow "natural" downsizing over time.

I have cheated this year though (following some heart problems at the beginning of the year) and have employed my friend's teenage daughter as my hen cleaner :P She comes for two hours every week and cleans eglus, runs, sorts out feeders and drinkers etc etc. She has been an absolute Godsend to me! Its mutually great, she gets extra pocket money and I get to focus on the "fun" stuff of hen keeping, like sitting in the run with a cup of coffee and a hen or two on my lap :clap:

I suppose what I'm saying is don't despair, but downsize if its getting too much.

Thanks once again for all your replies and help. I've rehomed our Sussex Ranger to a lovely lady on here who responded to my post about the problems I had with her. This means we are now down to just 4 hens, the White Leghorn and the 3 pure breeds. We will take the Cube out of the WIR. The run is large, it's 24ft by 7ft plus we have another smaller run along the back of the garden, which we will probably take down now. I think just keeping the Eglu and maybe working out how to fix it to the WIR so it's outside or at least have the egg port accessible from the outside will make things even easier.

So sorry to hear about your frustrations with your chickens. From what you said above, it sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing for you and the birds. I am feeling very down about the chickens myself, but the advice on this forum has been fantastic so far.

I hope it gets easier for you soon and you get the excitement about keeping chickens back :)

x

Thanks once again for all your replies and help. I've rehomed our Sussex Ranger to a lovely lady on here who responded to my post about the problems I had with her. This means we are now down to just 4 hens, the White Leghorn and the 3 pure breeds. We will take the Cube out of the WIR. The run is large, it's 24ft by 7ft plus we have another smaller run along the back of the garden, which we will probably take down now. I think just keeping the Eglu and maybe working out how to fix it to the WIR so it's outside or at least have the egg port accessible from the outside will make things even easier.

So sorry to hear about your frustrations with your chickens. From what you said above, it sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing for you and the birds. I am feeling very down about the chickens myself, but the advice on this forum has been fantastic so far.

I hope it gets easier for you soon and you get the excitement about keeping chickens back :)

x

I'm sorry you are having problems too, what exactly is going on with your girls :?:

Personally I don't think its been a great year for chicken keeping either - mostly I think down to the weather. They've been knee deep in mud & it gets everywhere whenever you go in to them ! I've not been in the garden much & my poor veg patch looks terrible ! Its been hard enough walking the dog between the showers without sorting chickens too.

I have reduced my 'upkeep' time & they don't seem to have suffered - still laying & looking healthy. Last year I did everything and a whole lot more besides 'by the book'. I had every bit of kit, tonic, sprays etc that I could lay my hands on. Now I just feed layers pellets, corn if I remember, and add nothing to the water. I no longer poo pick - the rain seems to wash it all away :roll: I clean the eglu trays about once a fortnight and chuck in some dandelion leaves should I find some in the garden.

My top tips echo what others have said -

- woodchip (i hate that when I use Rapport / Aubiose etc that a small gust blows it out of the shovel before I've even put it down !!!)

- newspaper on eglu trays (then I just roll it up with poo inside & put down clean sheets - haven't washed the trays in a while & they look quite clean) I have to admit that I haven't even washed the bars lately, I just brush off the worst of the poop.

- 2 glugs & 2 grubs for my 4 chickens (thus reducing the number of times i need to fill)

- chicken shoes (crocs that stay at the back door)

- tarpaulins (I got some funky camouflage patterned ones & they really do help keep rain off - just be careful that you are not creating a runoff into the run)

I do hope you can find a solution to help you. The initial £ outlay is large & it would be a shame to give up. I do understand about your anxiety. I suffered dreadfully about 4 years ago & it makes life so difficult at times. You therefore need to get the chickens down to a manageable level that means you get the soothing benefits of the chickens and not feel the stress.

Good luck in finding the happy medium that will keep you & the feathered crew content.

I do feel for you. Last year I lost 2 of my Omlet girls and had only had them a between 12- 18months. I felt like throwing in the towel.

I have learnt that hens are not as robust as cats and dogs and that some things you cant foretell - one had cancer the vet thought but how could I have known that? I now have 4 girls and try to be laid back - anyone who knows me knows i dont do laid back!!! I would love ex batts but I dont feel as a working mum I can give them the time - so dont anyone tell me I am selfish cos I'm not. I will when retired venture into that. Good luck with your decison on your ladies. Dont beat yourself up. Animals take time, energy and money. Ali x

Wise words from Hengery :clap: I keep quiet when people talk about their routines which are generally way beyond what I do for my chickens :oops:
When OH does the hens water he just tops it up with a watering can :shock:
:whistle::oops:

Watering can? :shock: I use the hose pipe :lol: I'm sure the girls get a soaking when I do it...but they all stand in a line and watch me fromabout 2 inches away :roll::lol:

Cathy

X

Had to laff at watering can bit - at least they get some water even its not fresh :shock: hens look wonderful in the English afternoon sun - mucking around. They look less appealing in the rain when the run resembles the Somme and you you have to dress in wellies and waterproofs and cant use jet spray cos of a hose pipe ban. Also less appealing when you have poo in your hair cos you are not offay with said jet spray. We all have our down days and when you have to dig em out of snow before you can feed them or yourself they dont look half so much fun. Hang in there girl.

Wise words from Hengery :clap: I keep quiet when people talk about their routines which are generally way beyond what I do for my chickens :oops:
When OH does the hens water he just tops it up with a watering can :shock:
:whistle::oops:

Watering can? :shock: I use the hose pipe :lol: I'm sure the girls get a soaking when I do it...but they all stand in a line and watch me fromabout 2 inches away :roll::lol:

Cathy

X

Ditto...hosepipe for me...too strong and I blast out the garlic clove which is the only thing I usually add to their water with any regularity

I do use Aubiouse, and know exactly what you mean about the bits...but since we lost our dog, I don't find it trodden quite so far through the house anymore... I like Aubiose though because I only have to clean the girls out once every six weeks (or so :oops: ) and they don't get smelly.

I don't worry about not free-ranging them so often since the Vet told me he never free ranges his!

As for poo picking I use a compost caddy for our kitchen veggie waste (I'm veggie so there is a lot of it) I line it with a compostable bag and then when it's nearly full , I usually have a quick look at the poo trays/bars/ nest box, and pick out the worst of the poo...chuck it in the bag and put the whole lot in compost....about three or four minutes twice a week.... I never poo pick the run...Aubiose takes care of that for me.

I do get very attached to my girls and every time we lose on or have the fox visit, I find myself questioning whether I can cope with it so I know how you feel. Overall though I get a great deal of pleasure from them for the relatively short amount of time I have to spend looking after them...I hope you can find away back into feeling happier about your chicken keeping...x

Hi Mercedes, just thought I'd add my tuppence worth and a couple of observations :D Firstly, the very fact that you're a member of a poultry forum shows that you care about your ladies welfare and I know from previous posts how passionate you are about your ladies.

I would also second what many others are saying re how much time they actually spend looking after their hens. Cubes are pretty well maintenance free so other than basic cleaning you shouldn't have to do too much. Your run : if it's not covered I would def change to woodchip ( free/minimal cost from tree surgeons) Wood chip runs need very little by way of cleaning out thankfully :D

All that remains is food, water and keeping them free of parasites. I'm pretty slovenly these days and have a large feeder which I fill up a couple of times a week. I do change their water every other day but would happily do it with a hosepipe or watering can if that worked for me. :D

My ladies free range all day every day, but I'm sure they would be happy in a good sized run. I've just never been able to to this. If it works for you then I don't see that it's a problem.

I'm sure that your ladies are free of parasites :D

The only other issue is your number of runs. I def couldn't cope with more than one, so I would agree with others that downsizing would be a good idea. When I look back on my early years, life was so simple. A couple of ex batts pecking around the garden and eggs everyday - bliss 8)

Mercedes, I'm sure that you'll get that "feel good " feeling back and I'm sure that if you can be a bit more chilled, it won't be long at all. Take care , mercedes. Alli x

Once again thanks to you all for your replies. I was quite happy to clean up and sell the Cube and just use the Eglu but OH feels that as one of our girls has been broody for ages that we ought to keep it so that the other girls can still lay their eggs and I'm sure he is right. So we have made the WIR about half the length it was so it is now 12ft by 7ft, which I am sure is big enough for 4 hens. OH has taken the Cube apart inside the run and then taken it out and put it back together on the outside and made a hole in the wire for the hens to get into the Cube. I'm not convinced it's up tight enough to the side of the WIR but I got told off for asking too many questions, so I'm going to let him get on with it :?

I'm going to have to try and not be so obsessive about their water etc and as I see many of you just top up the water I am going to start doing that too and just try to be more relaxed about them. At least if the Cube works being outside of the run I don't have to go inside it all the time like I was before, which again should lessen the amount of rapport being walked everywhere. The roof still needs to be done again as it's leaked since we had the run made, which has been an ongoing pain. OH is going to convert the rest of the WIR that is now empty into a shed for himself which saves taking it down :D

I've got 4 birsds in a 2m x 3m WIR, and they are fine. If you need a broody coop, then could you perhaps you get a cheap standalone one and sell the cube? It's a bit OTT for an add on :-)

Totally agree. Now the Cube is actually outside it looks huge! However OH has spent so many hours getting it right I don't have the heart to tell him it would look better without that big purple thing in my line of vision.

Honestly, don't fret about cleaning their drinkers every time, as they would much prefer to drink from a muddy puddle anyway. :D

and if you pop in a splash of cider apple vinegar it puts off bacteria. I just rub them round with my finger when they get low and wash them about fortnightly, top up with watering can between. All are healthy :D