Gertie

A bat in the bedroom!!

Just had to share this!!

Laying in bed watching tv when suddenly appearing from nowhere...a beautiful bat! That's the most surprising creature that ever I have seen in the house. Luckily it flew into the bathroom where I was able to close myself in with it and open the window. I was worried my cat - who looked as surprised as me, was going to get it. It flew straight out of the bathroom window. I'm just confused as to how and when it got in!

Gosh, that's exciting! That reminds me of when my older sister, who's rather short-sighted came downstairs one evening - 'there's a big moth in the bedroom'. My dad sighed and went upstairs - and came down roaring with laughter, because it was a bat! She'd taken her glasses off before going to bed and when she saw something rather large flitting about, she assumed it was a moth.

Glad it got out ok. Maybe it came in last night and has been hanging quietly somewhere during the day?

Gosh, to know they can squeeze through such small gaps makes sense of what happened next...it reappeared at midnight. I woke up to the sound of cats running around. The bat was in the bedroom again. It flew into the bathroom again and I closed the door.

Unbelievably our rubbish bathroom light decided to give up the ghost at that moment (awful relic with fluorescent tubes in), so torch in hand I investigated. It was pitched on the wallpaper (another horrible feature but handy for bats to grip on). I opened the window and left. I have not yet carried out an examination of the room but I'm hoping it has gone back to its home.

Olly, my partner gives me endless amusements when we are out for walks with his misidentification. He often thinks tree stumps are cows, deer etc or brown patches in trees are owls or birds of prey!

Thanks CM, read the section on bats in rooms. It goes without saying that I would never hurt a bat (or any animal) and my cats didn't stand a chance of catching it (thankfully)- it was very quick! I thought it would be less stressful for it to leave the window open to find its way out rather than me waving my arms at it!

I have looked all over the bathroom but cannot see it. If it reappears I will contact the bat society to help free it. Our whole area is a bat feeding protected area and we are in a conservation area and SSSI.

I haven't seen any vampires either!! :lol: