Sue

Very pleased with this years breeding programme

Hi - and thanks for the compliments. Its taken a while, but each year the colours seem to get better and better. I need a name to call them, I thought the eggs looked like those sugared almonds, and cocoa covered almonds, and I wondered about Sugar'nSpice, but would love any suggestions.

These are some of the girls who lay them

coloured-egg-layer-9.jpg

coloured-egg-layer-10.jpg

coloured-egg-layer-7.jpg

Your eggs are beautiful and lovely hens too. Our pure breeds have turned out to lay mostly poor shelled eggs so got a couple of hybrids to boost them our columbine does lay blue eggs and looks wise is one of my favourites. Next year I would love a green egg layer and also a dark one as most of ours are pale/tinted I like being able to tell who has laid, it definitely helps to see if everythings well with them.

Hi zakjon-98 Thanks for the good suggestion, unfortunately as they are a mix of breeds it doesn't seem possible to predict what colour egg each one is going to lay, though the dark ones do seem to be more brown or olive eggs, and the beigey ones more blue and green eggs. I shall consult my neice and nephew regarding the naming, they are both very interested in my chickens and ducks.

I did also think the Sugar'nSpice name might be good as the old rhyme says

What are little girls made of ?

What are little girls made of ?

Sugar n' Spice and all things nice

That's what little girls are made of....

And I think my girls are rather sweet and nice. :D

UKMARCH - the eggshells so far seem to be extremely high quality, being particularly smooth and dense, and even after the hens have been laying all season I haven't had any broken in the nest, and the youngsters produced perfectly formed (though of course rather small) eggs from the very first. :D