chestnutmare

Putting silkie in broody cage

Can someone reassure me that my bantam silkie will be okay in a broody cage in this weather? Tinker is broody. I was hoping locking her out of the Eglu for the day might snap her out of it but not so. I'll put the broody cage in the run but she's obviously not going to be as warm and cosy without the others cuddling up to her. Will she be too cold?

It's a difficult one, but if she's not laying and the others are'nt too, I'd be inclinde to close the eglu. She needs to cool off. I've used my anti-broody coop in the summer with my pekins, but thankfully none of them is broody at the mo!!! :D

I'm sure you'll keep an eye on things. Could she be coming into lay? Silkies I believe do lay over winter. Having a desire to get a couple myself!!! Trying very hard to resist an attack of morehens!!! It's they're broodiness that puts me off TBH with the pekins this summer it drove me mad....well in to letting them hatch, which is a whole other story!! :lol:

It's a difficult one, but if she's not laying and the others are'nt too, I'd be inclinde to close the eglu. She needs to cool off. I've used my anti-broody coop in the summer with my pekins, but thankfully none of them is broody at the mo!!! :D

I'm sure you'll keep an eye on things. Could she be coming into lay? Silkies I believe do lay over winter. Having a desire to get a couple myself!!! Trying very hard to resist an attack of morehens!!! It's they're broodiness that puts me off TBH with the pekins this summer it drove me mad....well in to letting them hatch, which is a whole other story!! :lol:

She's been laying for weeks now, she's even sitting in an empty nest! No bedding, no eggs at times. As soon as I open the eglu for bed time she runs straight back into the nest box and doesn't come out in the morning. She is a lovely thing usually. I'm dreading my feisty pekins getting broody!! :twisted:

Oh dear that is a tricky one!! Could you move the Go to allow you acess? Then once she has laid you could boot her out and close the door? Broodiness is a real issue as they don't do themselves any favours not eating, drinking etc and leaves them a traget for mites.My pekins got scaly leg from sitting and hatching. Also if you work like me and aren't around during the day everyday to boot them off, you have to use an anti-broody coop for the other hens sakes!! My pekins really peck and swear and have drawn blood before!!!

Hope you find a solution! :D

Lily my Silkie is broody for the 999th this year :lol::lol: ( maybe I eggsagerate but not by much )

I alway use the broody cage but feel terrible about it this time of year, and as none of mine are laying at the moment, OH gets her out and locks the cube and we leave her all day gobbing to all in the garden and let her back in just before dusk. She goes straight back on the nest until the next morning :wall::wall:

She has been like this for a week now so hopefully not for much longer and I have to leave OH a note everyday to remind him to do this.

No not always! Silkies are apparently really bad and have been know to die whilst sitting on eggs, so my breeder told me and she has silkies.

My pekins were dreadful I had to make them get off everyday and check that they had snapped out of the "zone" enough to eat, drink and poop!!!! At first I left them and they didn't get off for 3 days!!! :shock: (pooing in the nest...yes over the eggs!!! Posted on here for advice!! You might be able to find those old posts!) My nerves were shot...so took over for peace of mind (and the eggs sake)!!!!

I haven't been able to stand over the !gored! all day (obviously) but I've been out there a few times today and broody silkie hasn't moved, not even for treats. And a big red and black sweeping brush doesn't frighten her either. :roll:

OK. So I'll shut her out all weekend, only opening the Eglu for bed time and then forcing her out at morning before closing the Eglu door. If this doesn't work, should I used a broody cage next week? *brr* it's so cold though!

Oh me too!!!!! Well I'd have to as I have 6 now!! :lol: Love their funny little ways and the funny noises....Molly makes duck sounds!!!! Oh and the little eggs are so yummy!!!! Can't wait for some more to begin laying!!! :roll: Molly my gold partridge is still laying, every othe day...bless her! :D She hardly stop even through her moult.....but then she did spend most of the summer broody!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Luvachicken,Yes the 3 M's were my originals, but sadly I lost Mandy back in June to a mystery illness :( Molly is my best layer and top chook! Milly is a bad tempered madam!!!! She picks on the babies if they so much as look at her :evil: but she was a lovely mummy to her chicks in the summer!! :D Shame 3 were boys and the only girl who is actually her daughter.........is a grumpy girlie too!! :roll: Would have loved a Molly baby girl, but her egg was a boy and Mandy's egg also a boy........a beautiful millefleur like her and Monty his dad.

How's Queenie doing? She sounds like a good layer!!! Fingers crossed she doesn't go broody too often for you!!

Oh shame about Queenie's eggs!! Molly is still laying too, but every other day and they are getting smaller! :( But hopefully normal service will resume sometime next year.......hoping my 3 babies are good layers..?? Dreading broodiness, but have my anti-broody coop, so much better prepared!! :D

Well my Molly always does that even after 3 days straight in the anti-broody coop!!! :lol: That's why I gave in and let her hatch in the end!!!! But to my amazement ......she's broody AGAIN Arggh that must be the 6th or so time this YEAR!! :shock: Did manage to distract her with free ranging today though :roll: They just want to be mummy's real bad!!!! Even if it is winter!!! :lol: