Hayleybug

They're here!!! with more pics!

What lovely girls!!!! you must be so pleased!!! :D

Guess who rushed home from the national to potter with the pekins in the garden??? Yip me!!! Not much time to potter with it getting dark so early, but I do love to spend a little time (or a lot!! :lol: ) with the gang each day!! :D:D

thanks everyone! we decided to leave them to it for a bit this afternoon and when i popped out to shut the eglu they had tucked themselves up- clever girls! they were roosting nicely together.

I could tell they had had a good look around and investigated everything as they had tipped over their flower pot and pooped EVERYWHERE :shock: so a bit of poo picking with torch in hand was required!

I have bought them some growers pellets so they will go onto those tomorrow- can i put the unused pellets from the grub on the bird table i wonder? :think: they had eaten a good amount and had some grit too so v pleased with their first full day!

Yep chickens are poop machines!! :lol: I poo pick everyday that I can and twice on my days off!!!! :D:roll: All in the vain hope of saving my lawn!!! But may have to resort to sitting the cube&run in one spot for the winter and putting down wood chip. :( The lawn just isn't doing very well this year......that will be all the rain in the drought!!!!! Always something to learn with keeping chickens!! :D:D:D

i think the use by date on the layers is march unfortunately, i might have to give them to my friend at work who has chickens that are laying. the grit ive got is a mixture i think of oyster shell and grit so hopefully that will be ok for them (they seem to be choosing what they want out of the galley cup anyway).

just when i thought i had prepared and read everything i find out its still a learning curve!

Lovely new ladies - hope you enjoy them :D

I have to say that I really like Clementine too! Gorgeous girl :)

x

she is beautiful isnt she! although a little bit naughty with the pecking of the others though i suppose thats just the pecking order and hopefully will settle down soon.

one of them seems to be doing squishier browner poops than the other 2, is this anything to worry about? i have ordered some lifeguard and was wondering whether some bokashi might help?

I wouldn't worry about their poos, they do weird and wonderful poos. :lol:

they certainly do! thanks, i will take the approach that variety is the spice of life then! i have been poo picking with rubber gloves on, and some are easier to pick up than others :vom:

i have pulled a sicky so i can stay here and get the girlies more used to m (shh dont tell!), ive got them a cabbage which i have put a hole through and im going to hang it from the run roof with a bit of old washing line i found in the shed. i wonder if big green swingy things are scarey??

will try to get more pics, its horribly windy out though which theyre not impressed by at all!

You'll get to know your chicken's poops!! :lol::vom: Definitely what they eat can affect the consistency!!! To much green stuff and runny poos is what you'll get!! But it could be just a change of feed and environment and also I learned recntly that they can get runny poos just before they come into lay! :D

Welcome to the steep learning curve!!! I'm just over a year in and still learning!! :D:D

You'll get to know your chicken's poops!! :lol::vom: Definitely what they eat can affect the consistency!!! To much green stuff and runny poos is what you'll get!! But it could be just a change of feed and environment and also I learned recntly that they can get runny poos just before they come into lay! :D

Welcome to the steep learning curve!!! I'm just over a year in and still learning!! :D:D

thanks mimi, i have only just given them a cabbage, which they havent even touched (too scarey maybe?! or perhaps just dont like cabbage..) so it may just be the change in environment/food. although i am very much hoping it might be Clementine and she may be thinking about eggs!! :pray:

i have only just given them a cabbage, which they havent even touched (too scarey maybe?! or perhaps just dont like cabbage..) so it may just be the change in environment/food.

Think you've answered your own question :wink: It's all new to them and lots of things will be a bit scary...they'll soon settle down though, just give them some time :)

i have only just given them a cabbage, which they havent even touched (too scarey maybe?! or perhaps just dont like cabbage..) so it may just be the change in environment/food.

Think you've answered your own question :wink: It's all new to them and lots of things will be a bit scary...they'll soon settle down though, just give them some time :)

thanks Cheeky Chooky, we have even had foam poos today :shock:

ive got woodchip down on top of the brick base, but now im wondering whether i should put aubiose on top too, to help soak up (though im then not sure how to change the aubiose without removing the woodchip accidentally too...)

also i had put a chair in for them to use as a step up to the eglu table and realised it isnt the best idea to have the back of the chair against the table as they just perch on it and poo all over the table! which they then walk in when they go to bed!! :doh:

I've only just caught up with this. After all the lovely pictures of your WIR it is so nice to see it filled and with such pretty girls too. Also I love the names, particularly 'Peggy Sue' :D

If you are worried at all about poos there is quite a lot on here about them . . . with pictures :lol::vom:

Click here for threads on the topic

and here for pictures

Edited by Guest

I've only just caught up with this. After all the lovely pictures of your WIR it is so nice to see it filled and with such pretty girls too. Also I love the names, particularly 'Peggy Sue' :D

If you are worried at all about poos there is quite a lot on here about them . . . with pictures :lol::vom:

Click here for threads on the topic

and here for pictures

thanks Shabby Chic! they are lovely girls, i knew the WIR wouldnt stay clean for long once they arrived!

and thanks for the link, i had no idea that there were so many 'normal' poos that i would think were not normal at all!! very helpful, tho probably a bit odd to be looking at it whilst eating my shepherds pie.