.... submitted planning permission for WIR today. 9ft x 9ft - either the Cotswold broadway or similar from local shed company! Had to do drawings; I'm not overly (at all) artistic but couldn't ask an architect to draw chicken run (or afford)! Still smarting I have to pay £160 to be told whether I can have a WIR but keeping everything crossed they will say yes!! Have to wait at least 2 months I think - will burst with impatience!!

I have learned something - didn't know you needed planning consent for a run!

Does it depend on whether it's a permanent structure/size etc?

I've been toying with the idea of one myself, but not sure I'm ready for the whole rigmarole of planning procedures

EDIT: PS - good luck!

Sorry, meant to say in the original post, this is only because I live in a listed building (and even then only really cos we have mean neighbours round the corner).... If you live in Scotland then under normal circumstance you are ok unless it is over 15sqm in footprint or about 8ft in height (there are a couple of other things as well but can't remember) - I assume England is the same... Basically I just like being difficult!

I reckon it did today... Got a PDF letter back to say that I had drawn elevations but had missed off a floor plan, please could I re-submit!! Document now re-drawn with square at bottom!! Seriously people, it is a shed! Did wonder about creating a whole load of rooms - chicken bathroom, pantry etc but decided perhaps only me that would find that funny!

All this for a WIR?!! We really do live in a nanny state. I'll keep fingers crossed for you. At least end of April should be a good time to get started on this weather wise. It has taken weeks for my WIR to progress due to snow, rain etc. and still not finished :( .

You're welcome - I can really understand your excitement!!

I haven't ordered mine yet but as yesterday was the first sunny day in a long time, we moved the eglu girls to the patio and started digging roots and such out of the area where the WIR will be. The next couple of weeks will be about digging, lifting and buying a LOT of concrete blocks for the WIR to sit on. Well, I didn't do anything physical as I can't due to my health, but my family are just amazing! I had an op a month ago and my dad took care of the chooks when my other half was at work - and he's come rather attached to the girls :D So I think mum & dad want to get back to the thought of wanting their own chooks which is fine with me, I like the idea of having more hens around :dance:

Ordering the WIR in about a week maybe, and the woodchip will be ordered in the next few days :D

x

arghhhhh, neighbours that we spoke to before we put in planning permission stuck a note through our door last night saying they had changed their minds now they have seen the plans! :wall:

They are direct neighbours so not sure what to do. Don't want to fall out with them, but a bit frustrated at change of heart and non-direct approach.

Thinking I will go back with a pleasant note with pics of the two alternatives we looked at (and website links) saying would either of these be better - why don't they come round and discuss at weekend.... The two alternatives were flyte so fancy and the omlet one......

:pray:

Sorry to hear that! It is always disappointing when people are controlling and passive-aggressive about it! I went to see Andy Schneider, the self-proclaimed "Chicken Whisperer" a couple of weeks ago. He started his talk discussing planning for chickens. He said, in the past, he used to recommend that people talk to their neighbors before getting chickens, but he heard many times that people who did so often found that a neighbor who acted like they were fine with it to their faces, reported them to code enforcement later. Now he recommends going ahead and doing it and they might not notice for a year and then you can say, "They've been here this long, why is it a problem now?" I guess you can't do that in your situation, but I usually follow the "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission" principle! :wink:

To be honest, if my neighbour did that I would still continue with the submission - and they will have the option to object the plans but it doesn't mean you'll get a NO based off them disagreeing. They've kind of put themselves in that position, it's not really your fault! If they turn around and say no to any WIR that's pretty selfish of them when they agreed in the first place :shameonu:

A family member of mine, owned two neighbouring houses, both with big gardens. So big that they submitted planning to build a third house. They had several neighbours rejecting the proposal, but it was still allowed - which is why I have a feeling you wouldn't get a rejection based off one neighbour's feelings.

Hmmm - so sorry to hear you have to jump through so many hoops for a WIR!

Good luck!

x

Permitted development rights do not exist for listed buildings. However, if you are having problems with the Council you might like to consider arguing that the chicken run does not constitute operational development. This might be difficult for a walk in run but if it is of a temporary nature (not fixed to the floor, collapsible, moveable, etc.) you might be able to convince them. I am not aware of any case law in respect of domestic chicken runs but this approach is worth consideration. You could certainly try it with the Omlet run. I don't know what your run is like so I can't advise on that one.

The main issue in your application is likely to be the impact of the run on the character and appearance of the listed building. I would have thought that your average chicken run would not have a massive effect in this respect as it is only a very lightweight garden structure.

Good luck. I am a planner so I know how hard it can be!!!!

Thanks! I don't envy you your job, seems v complicated! Have been enjoying watching 'the planners' though!

We were wanting a 9 ft by 9 ft cotswold wood company run. But regardless of permission don't want to upset out neighbours (who put note through) so have asked them if omlet WIR preferable for them.

Will let you know, seems like we have a constant battle on our hands to do anything for our girls!

If you can convince the planners that it is not operational development then they can't have any control over it. Probably the run that you applied for needs permission. I hope your neighbours come round. Most of my neighbours love the eggs and when I told my next door neighbour that I wouldn't get any more chickens he was really disappointed.

Glad you are enjoying The Planners, it is very realistic and well balanced. I used to work with John, the Conservation Officer. He is a really nice guy.

Good luck - the planning system is often extremely frustrating.

So, we have 3 comments from neighbours in against our WIR plans! One comment is from next door neighbours, none of the others can even see our garden as they are round the corner. Expected one from people that don't like our girls but no idea why other one as doesn't affect them at all. :cry: Feeling a bit persecuted. Would understand if it was a big extension or something but ultimately we are just wanting to put a 9ft by 9ft (about 2.5m in new money) shed with wire walls in our garden. Perhaps we should have gone with smaller, but much smaller and we couldn't fit cube inside!!

Can still get omelet WIR if refused but worried all our neighbours will hate us!

Oh no, you're joking! :( I really think people say 'no' just because they can. People are more likely to complain than praise - I am just gutted for you that a 9ftx9ft is such an issue for your neighbours (and others that do not even live by you!)

Have the Council advised what this will mean? I don't see how an Omlet WIR will mean your neighbours will hate you - if this is allowed by law, then they can't complain really. I bet if they were in your shoes they would have a different attitude to your proposed WIR. Is it the WIR or the chickens that the neighbours have an issue with? I've read that people think chickens are smelly and attract rats, but I just can't see why your WIR would be an issue :think:

Hope all this stress passes and you and your girls get this deserved WIR soon!!

x

Thanks guys, it's so good to have people that understand! Felt really down last night when I saw the new comments. Can't wait til I can actually see what they say! I think it is just "nothing new" but so frustrating over such a little thing!

Mrs_B - Strangely it is only one neighbour who doesn't like the chickens, the rest love them and one even comes to talk to them each day! Will find out about planning permission by 25th April, hopefully sooner as closes to public comments a week today.

Cheeky chook - it is your omelet WIR that actually makes me wonder if that would be easier. Would then plant bamboo and stuff for shelter around the run and block the neighbours view.

On holiday this week so I can at least get the girls out more and who knows Annette might even lay an egg - who am I kidding!

Thanks for your lovely messages.

as cheeky chucky says dont give up on your dream its your house and garden would you complain if they bought a new car and you did not like the colour of it and would they change it i dont think so i had the same problem when i bought the land at the side of my house with the neighbours that backed up onto the land they objected to the 6ft fence i had put up they were going to the council to have it taken down that was 3 years ago ok i didnt need planning permission but everything was above board and legal some people like to stick their nose in and it boils down to jealousy if i was you stick to your guns and sod the neighbours they will come round eventually when they need some eggs for breakfast

Had a really nice email exchange with the planner who is in charge of our case. Was about the comments and when they would be public but ended up being general chat about weather, gardening, planting veg and chooks. Still don't know anything but feeling more positive after that and chat with neighbour who is in favour - two normal people!