redhotchick

Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge

I've been asked to join a group of people from work doing the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge. I've agreed, I love the idea of walking, but I don't get out and do it. My fitness level is pretty low right now, so it's something to focus me.

It's in 14 weeks time. I went for my first 5 mile walk tonight.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate training regime? And any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

sorry, dont know about a training regime, but how fab :D my brother did the Yorks three peaks challenge last year (I think) and really enjoyed it. Ill have a word with him and see what he did.

we dont live far from the Yorkshire Peaks, but ive never got round to going up any of them :roll: maybe I should before im 40 :shock:

good luck :D

just found this might be worth a look :D

cathy

x

Thanks Couperwife.

I'm thinking of doing a straight line graph with targets for distance and elevation, so I can aim my training walks at getting progressively longer and more hilly.

At this point in time I'm not convinced I'm going to be fit enough. I'm trying to go gently and get my muscles used to this unaccustomed activity! My joints are not what they used to be!

I'm no expert on training - but I do a fair bit of walking, so here's a few pointers that I hope will be helpful. 14 weeks ought to be enough to get you to a reasonable level of fitness. I'd suggest getting out and walking every day - little and often will be far better than trying to attempt 'warrior walks' at the weekends. A couple of miles every day will keep you at a decent level of fitness for longer walks at the weekends if that's most convenient. Build up the distance gradually that you can cope with. Hopefully with the lighter evenings there should be more time for you to fit walking around work and other commitments.

Try and walk at a pace that leaves you feeling just slightly out of breath as this will build up your fitness and stamina levels. Start off with walks on the flat and when you feel that your fitness is increasing, then you can start some hill/incline walks. You'll definitely need to do some hill walks before attempting your challenge as walking on the flat is very different (much easier!) to hill walking.

Definitely get yourself some decent walking gear - especially boots and socks! Good boots will make or break your 3 peaks challenge. Get yourself to a good outdoor store and ask their advice on boots, and make sure you break them in well. Blisters are a killer! Good boots will also support your arches and ankles and help to align your gait to avoid knee and hip pain which is really important, especially on a hill walk. Decent boots tend not to be cheap but are worth every penny. Good socks will also help to avoid blisters. Lined socks are fab (Aldi have some in at the moment for £2.99/pair, or you can get them from any outdoor store).

Walking trousers are good too, as they tend to be lightweight, nice and stretchy and either waterproof or quick drying in case you get caught in a shower.

Other than that, try not to push yourself too much, too early and enjoy it! :D Keep us updated on your progress.

ETA - I've just read that 3 peaks page with the training advice. It makes a really good point about boots, specifically toes being squashed into the front of boots when walking downhill. Don't be afraid to buy boots that are a bit big. I have size 4.5 feet but wear a size 6 walking boot to fit in thicker socks and also to avoid 'squashed toes'. Sorry to keep banging on about boots but - they really are so important!

Thanks L_B, I've just been to Aldi (I saw your other post), I got a base layer, a midlayer fleece, two pairs of socks, the long gaiters and a pair of boots in size 5. I'm a 4.5 too! I haven't tried them on yet. Will do so with a pair of the socks in case I need to take them back.

Yesterdays walk did set off a few twinges in my knees and hips, I was wearing a pair of flat moulded sole boots. comfortable but with hindsight, probably not suitable.

I have 2 weeks holiday in May so I should be able to get lots of walking in (I am going away)

I have a good pair of walking trousers, I might need some new waterproofs and definitely a decent daysack.

It's getting the hill walks in that worries me, I might be able to persuade some of the other participants to join me.

Definitely get others involved with the hill walks if you can, it's much better to tackle a tougher walk in a group as you encourage each other along. I'm walking Kinder Scout (Peak District) next Saturday with OH and a group of good friends. None of us do much by way of hill walking (pretty flat round here!) so we'll be able to keep each other going, which makes such a difference.

Take some energy snacks with you when you start doing some tougher walks. Bananas, dried fruit, flapjacks, even chocolate bars are good - anything to give you a boost when you start to flag.

Less than two weeks to go! I've been getting out a couple of nights a week and doing 4 to 6 miles. Hardly any hill walking though! I know I will struggle with the steep climbs, but I think I'll be ok as long as I can take it slowly on those bits. I didn't take any water out tonight, and didn't stop to buy any, I got toe cramp when I got in! I've had three pints of weak cordial in the last two hours in an effort to rehydrate!

Glad you updated, I was wondering how you were getting on.

This heat doesn't help with training does it? I went to the Lake District last week and did some hill walks but it was tough going in the heat.

I'd try and do at least one or two hill walks if you can in the next week or two, just to give you an idea of what it's going to be like. I can walk all day on the flat without barely batting an eyelid, but a 4 mile mountain walk creases me - it really is very different!

Take lots of Lucozade on your 3 peaks walk and snacks to keep up your energy. I find I feel really sick if I eat too much in one go while I'm walking but snacking little and often works for me.

Best of luck and take some photos to show us!

If I wasn't apprehensive it wouldn't be a challenge right! I climbed Pendle hill last year, with no preparation, so I feel confident that I can do one of the hills anyway! I went on a bit of the sandstone trail the other weekend, walked for 2 hours 20 minutes, climbed 250 metres. Felt ok after that.

It's difficult to find the time for long walks in the evening. I'm trying to walk every other evening for the next 10 days. Then it's D Day!

L_B I'm worried that this weekend will be too late to do a hill walk of any significance, in so much as I'm worried that I'll get an injury too close to the real walk, and also that it wouldn't be of any real benefit at this late stage....advice from anyone on that point would be welcomed. Many thanks x

I did it! It was tough going and I really thought I wouldn't finish. I just took it one hill at a time, kept positive and kept smiling. I'll write a full review this week for anyone who is interested in doing it.

I'm very tired today, and quite stiff, I'm resting, but getting up and moving around every so often.