cloud

The hen that loves rhubarb

We have one hen that just loves our Rhubarb. Last year the hens ate everything in the garden, except the rhubarb. This year we put up a what we thought was a hen-proof-fence. Now at least one hen - Siouxsie - just cant get enough of it seems...

rhubarb.jpg

Hasn't seemed to have caused her any harm, yet. :shock:

My chickens are fine in the garden they only scratch about for worms they dont eat any of the plants,in fact i have given them cabage from the garden and they dont even go near it, atually i think they are scared of it.

Why wont they eat any greens?i also gave them an entire brocoli head once, they did not eat it. :doh:

They are pekin bantams, Sheela and Angie.

Last year was the first year I was able to grow any rhubarb, as they've managed to get to it every time and strip it bare ... it is supposed to be poisonous, but my hens haven't read that bit of the book and they have never shown any ill effects. Mine love anything green and tender, the more time I have spent raising it from seed, the more tasty it is, it seems!

I'm working on the theory that as long as they have a balanced diet a few green's aren't going to do any harm. No signs of runs or any other side-effect from eating the rhubarb that I've noticed. last year I got worried when red spots were appearing in their dropping - turned out to be all the rose hips they were eating.

They also ate several of my cauliflowers last year. Ignored them, then devoured each one as they became ready to pick. Hence the new fence. They get the flower garden. I get the veg garden.

Unfortunately the cats have just dug up my carrots :doh:

The lace effect looks great. :lol:

Yeh, I like it too :silenced: