Patricia W

Ticks galore!

Used our tick remover twisty thing this morning as Neela had one of the blighters ears right next to her eye! She was such a good girl and sat with me holding her head still so hubby could do the deed. Came out very easily in one piece. Did make us go all itchy afterwards though :lol: Now had a dose of frontline to stop anymore, hopefully.

Our epidemic of a few months ago has subsided, but I now have 2 sets of O'Tom twisters, one of which I keep in the car! I swear by them. Holly also is frontlined regularly and has a tick collar. I've let her coat grow back though on the grounds it's nearly winter.

I suspect the epidemic died down when the stream she goes in dried up and the foliage on banks were cut down. Hopefully, no more now till the spring.

This was Neelas first ever one which I think she got on Sunday when we took her to the new forest for the first time. I can't imagine it came from the local park as we are there at least once a day for the past year. I know frontline won't prevent ticks, but it will be better than having nothing to try and kill them off. We are just so impressed by the tick remover. If I hadn't bought them after reading about them in this post, I think we'd be struggling with tweezers.

O'Toms are much better then tweezers; its' so easy to break the head off a tick, or to squeeze it and then the stomach contents empty into your dog.

My old lurcher had a tick, which I have to admit I hadn't noticed at the time; I only spotted it when she was mithering a bump which turned out to be an infected bite. She quietly allowed me to squeeze all the pus out and apply a poultice to draw it. I felt bad at not seeing it when it happened but she was really shaggy. The two I have now have regular grooming sessions with me when I give them the going over and check their feet... they really enjoy it, even Ruby who isn't keen on being fettled.