Mrs Frugal

What's in a name.......?

Hi Graham

If you don't need to clip your bantams wings for containment purposes then you could clip the left wing on one, the right wing on another and leave one fortunate young lady unclipped. Or you can buy soft coloured rings to put on their legs - try any of the chicken equipment suppliers mentioned in the topic on hen food. One thing I did see on an american forum was coloured nail varnish on their claws!!!

Alternativey train them all to come to the call of 'M'. :D

How about putting up a photo in the album. I suspect 3 black Pekin bantams have a real 'Ahhh' factor.

Hello all.

Well chickens have arrived and I have named them after the herbs my hubby was growing on the spot that now belong to the chickens.

I have three chickens and they are called...

GNR Rosemary.

GNR Sage.

PP Parsley.

There was an egg in the box when they arrived and it was still warm. We think it was laid by GNR Rosemary.

Sammi-x :D

Hi Sammi

Congratulations. Hope you are really enjoying your herby girls after your long wait.

If you have ever visited my website you'll know that it started as a diary of my return to the joys of hen keeping. Now that computer literate son is home from uni I'm going to get him to ditch the forum (not needed now omlet has the best UK garden hen one goind) and hopefully set it up so other people can use the website to post their own diary 'blogs' (I think that is the term) I had to go back through mine to find a reference for someone and it was fascinating reading about my girls early days. If you are interested, try logging on in a few days (suspect son will need a couple of days in bed before I can get any work out of him!)

Thanks everyone. :D

Lesley - been so busy watching them that I have completly forgotton to take any photos. :?

Motherhen - Will take a look in a few days time, give your son time to sleep, I remember my days at college and the long sleeps when not working. :)

Take it easy

Sammi-x- :D

:? We let the boys chose the names, Black as in the family name, coming fisrt as is common in Asia. Ball for the silkie, which is what she is, and Rip for the leghorn because :?:? I find the mind of a 4 year old a bit 'different'.

We will be geting more...........................

Hmmm....yes, 4 year old boys! I've been through it once and now have grandchildren 7 yr old girl and 4 yr old boy! Luckily we didn't ask him what he would like to call any of the chickens or else they would be called 'Bottom', 'Smelly' and 'Willy' :roll:

Lauren didn't want Ellie to be called that so she calls her 'Star'

Since he started school his favourite word is actually f**t (no - not foot!) and he sings non-stop, making songs up as he goes. you can imagine his songs at the moment. He particularly likes singing in the bathroom and he will sing all sorts of rude words in there.

When he was about 18 months old he was asleep in his pram near the back of the Church. He obviously woke up during a hymn and thought he'd join in - as everyone finished singing this loud voice echoed around the Church - "Jingle Bells - Jingle Bells" and he carried on.......and on..... we had snatches of Twinkle Twinkle and Wheels on the Bus and everone was in stitches - prayers have never been quite the same!

As I'm seriously off topic I might as well carry on - He hasn't been to Church with us for a while - last time he helped Lauren with the collection and was trying to take all the money out! I was taliking to Lauren about Easter and asked if she was helping out and Jake suddenly announced "Easter - I'm coming as well" His eyes all big! I wonder why?? Nothing to do with the Easter Egg hunt afterwards? :roll: Only problemis - with glue ear in both ears he is quite deaf at the moment and he will be shouting in his 'stage' whisper - "When can we have the eggs" - his Daddy won't come with us any more because he can't cope with the embarrassment :oops:

Since he started school his favourite word is actually f**t (no - not foot!) :oops:

Luckily, I haven't managed to work out what it is..I might have to ask an offspring.

Loved the image of Jake in the church...what a darling!

As this is "chickens", I'm off to start a new thread in nesting box before I recount my next tale... :wink:

As you can see from our signature, we have named ours Trinny and Susannah. Sarah named them, it seemed such a good idea. It is always amusing to see the different people who immediately know what the significance is and which do not - my Dad didn't know at all, now everytime the original Trinny and Susannah are on TV my Mum shouts 'Look, it's Matt's chickens.' Yes, she is a bit nuts.

Can you tell I'm a big fan of the Victoria Wood comedy "Dinnerladies"

Our girls live up to their character names too... Jean is big-bummed and a bit stroppy, Dolly's quiet but obliging and Twinkle is a bit mental and twitchy !!!

Can't wait to get a bigger place and get the rest of them (Anita, Philippa, Petula, Brenda, Stan and Tony....)

Since he started school his favourite word is actually f**t (no - not foot!) and he sings non-stop, making songs up as he goes. you can imagine his songs at the moment.

Reminds me of my landlady's granddaughter at the same age (she must be in her 20s now :shock: ) - after hearing the word 'pen**' she sat on the kitchen worktop, swinging her legs and chanting it over and over :roll:

Back on topic - Morag (bless her) was named by OH after a hen in a Knorr soup advert that was on TV years ago, and Migsy is short for Mrs Miggins, Morag McAdder's rival in Blackadder III.

My plan is for their successors to have the "female" herb names I'd started lining up before we got Morag and Migsy - Myrtle, Cicely, Angelica, Rosemary and Lettice* :D

Anne

* OK, that one's a pun :lol:

Henrietta-As she behaves most like a hen and she pecked us the first day we had her.

Muddles-As when they were exploring their house for the very first time, Henrietta sat in the nest box and Muddles sat on top of her.

Starlet-As she has blonde feathers and is very fluffy-A bit like a feather boa pillow!

Mine are Tuppence and Ha'penny. I was inspired by an Agatha Christie on TV which featured a character called Tuppence. I thought it would be a great name for a hen, and Ha'penny was a natural follow on! Tuppence is a Marans so is the bigger of the two. Ha'penny is a little Araucana. I guess if I got another she would have to be Penny or Threepenny. I also thought of Tickey, which is a Southern African (where I come from) word for what I think was sixpence. Public phones there are known as Tickey Boxes. So that's my next few chooks lined up!

Mine are Tuppence and Ha'penny. I was inspired by an Agatha Christie on TV which featured a character called Tuppence

:lol: I'm so delighted to read that. I love the name Tuppence, and immediately thought of the Agatha Christie character (but from the books, er, some time ago! :wink: ) Then, thought, no, obviously following on from the traditional hen name Penny. So, really pleased to hear of the connection, I think they are lovely names. 8)

ours are all named after things that grow in the garden hence Briar and Bramble! :)

Willow and Rosie were the original two and the naming tradition started because the initial eglu site was under a willow tree next to a rose bush, we also have Hazel and Jasmine and Blossom and spent a happy hour wandering around the garden before christening the new girls Sorrel and Daisy, Mizuna was a strong candidate with the younger generation but think the next name we have lined up is Saffron although that might be stretching it a bit :roll: