Angie

Do i replaced the tarps or put perspex up ?

As I will be starting over .

I have cleansed the WIR, and sanitised the ground, washed thoroughly and it is stood empty , just waiting for new girls.

The thing is , I have used glass tarps every year and my last ones only survived the one year. I was disappointed with the quality of them so I am wondering if I should put clear Perspex up to weather proof the run.

Who has got Perspex up and how is it attatched ? Is it outside or inside the run panels ? And do they clean well , without soaking the wood of the run ?

Any ideas would be welcome, as I am planning on new girls next month , or the end of this even.

I have got clear tarp over the wire run connected to the cube, and 2 bits of mis-shaped perspex at one end of the wooden run. The other end of their run is protected by our shed. I would really like to buy some more perspex, but it is expensive, so that the first quarter of their run is protected by perspex from the roof to the floor.

The bits of perspex we do have are screwed onto the inside of the run. They don't seem to get that dirty but do offer some protection.

I ditched the tarps too as they didn't last more than one winter. I have perspex panels which I fit with rapstraps at each corner. For the exposed ones, I put a piece of wood or a cane across the middle too (held by rapstraps). Most are on the outside but some are inside - depends which was easiest for each particular bit.

If they are easily removed, they are easy to wash just with a bucket and brush or a powerwasher.

It does cost more initially but they don't need replacing so it's more cost-effective long term. I was lucky enough to get some heavy duty perspex free but the rest I bought from B&Q.

We have corrugated Perspex sheets on both runs, it is held by bungee cords on the Eglu and on the WIR but on that it also has a couple of fence posts strapped to it too. They clean up pretty well with a jet wash. They do need to be well attached though because the wind will get under them, half of one of mine sheared off in a storm and I found it at the side of the main road. :shock:

I had a couple of glass clear tarps in 2010, over the exposed part of my WIR. When I took them down just before the weather turned warmer for the summer (thankfully!), one was fine although in places had turned "milky" and the other had several holes. I won't be using them again to cover the run.

Perspex is the best, but I have a lot of corrugated plastic over the enclosed end of the WIR, roof and sides, and would certainly put this over the roof part of the exposed end of the run if needed, with the perspex saved for the sides. The corrugated plastic is screwed on to a wooden frame. I have used perspex offcuts in the past and there are some bits still in my present run, these are also screwed on to the wooden frame.

Thanks everyone, I know it will be expensive but fed up paying out for tarps that barely get through the winter, and there not cheap either when you have 3 up at a time . I have managed to put three corrugated panels (overlocking) to one end but they are not clear and do diminish light somewhat, so was thinking of the clear Perspex sheets and cutting them to fit inside the run panels....or maybe outside depending on the ease of fitting in difficult bits like the back which is almost up to the fence .

OH is home next week and I already want him to put up a new shed (a big one) so I want to get materials before hand and push on with it so I can get some new girls .

ANH ? Do you have any photos of the sheeting in place ? As a limited diy girl I need to see things so I can fix it in my mind what I have to do , I think I will have to put them on the outside so the rain doesn't come in all the time and drench the bedding.

The ground around it can have a good clearing now without damaging any plant life, and the pears are about ready to come in, surprised they aren't on the ground already with this awful weather we are having.

i have acrylic sheets on 3 sides of my run yes they are expensive but better in the long run also they look neater

DSCF8442-1.jpg

this is with the tarps which block the light out and flap about

DSCF8443-1.jpg

and this with the bottom 2 panels replaced with the acrylic sheets

DSCF8446-1.jpg

they are fastened to the run on the outside using turn buttons and corner braces which makes it easy to take off and clean i got them from a company called TRENT PLASTICS so just google it put your size and thickness in for a quote and they will e-mail you back but dont forget to ask for postage and packing included also if you do get any from this company remember to take the protective film off before fixing it to the run good luck :):)

ANH , Thank you so much. I can do that ! :D:D:D , will order the Perspex once I measure the panels and get on with it .

I am missing not having any chucks and I'm missing the fresh eggs , I have had to buy some :x and to be honest I didn't enjoy them at all , so tasteless . I am trying to avoid having to make a cake with them.

When the weather lets up I will drive over to the farm and buy some there .

I have some 2mm thick which is fairly flexible and some 4mm which I got free, which is very rigid. The 2mm is fine, I wouldn't pay for 4mm. I don't think the thickness matters too much but the thinner it is the more likely you'll have to put something in place across the middle to prevent the wind getting under it. I use a piece of cane, horizontal across the middle, held on with Rapstraps either end. Not got it set up for this winter yet but when I do I'll take some photos.

My corrugated panels from Wickes have gone milky but then so has the clear tarp I bought 2 years ago. But the Wickes panels are cheap enough to replace after a couple of years.

Yes, I think eventually the corrugated stuff does go a bit opaque (and certainly brittle). I don't mind though as it is mainly for letting light in, not for the girls to see out. If they realise there is a whole world out there, they will only want to go out and explore!

I was really disappointed in the tarps, they weren't cheap :x

I got inspired by this thread and bought two panels from Wickes at the weekend. they cost just over £14 and are almost spot on for the cube run roof. It's made it look so much lovelier to be able to see through the roof instead of ugly blue tarp. Thank you for your great idea!

I Put up my last new tarp left over from last year and in the winds last week it is torn to shreds, and i'm not in the Storm areas, so I quess that wouldn't have lasted the winter.

So to update I have ordered the acrylic panels, from Trent plastics, cut to my needs and paid the bill, ( expensive but i'm sure they will be worth every penny )

They will be here Tues or Wed next week. Got the rapstraps already.

Can't wait. Will worm the girls then they can be all nice and clean when I put the panels up and have a sheltered and dry winter. :D