paulad

Help - got one maybe two feather eaters :(

Hi Paula,

A Friend of mine has two girls who feather pull and she has not yet found the answer after nearly a year ..sorry .. :(

She has found that it is not done in a nasty way no blood etc., they just sort of preen them selves and others as well.

One of them looked like one of those bare necked chickens .I know you can get purple spray etc., but nothing seems to work but she has not gone down the bumper route.

She has talked to her vet about it and reckons that once they moult they should get their old feathers back but that's not certain.

Is there any blood or nastiness and bullying ?

I seem to be all doom and gloom but don't mean to be ..I am sure someone will be along with better advice .

no blood yet !!

nastiness, sometimes, we have only just introduced new birds just over a week ago. So its partly that.

BUT i think it was going on before the new hens arrived as one hen has got feathers missing.

Im just more worried now because the new hens are ex bats and they dont have many feathers anyway !!

we r spraying with anti pecking spray and it does seem to work for a while but then wears off.

think i will up their protein but dunno by how much and how often ??

thanks for the reply. all info /advice is good x

yeah doing the pecking spray twice a day already x

think im gonna up the protein for a while and see if it makes a difference - just don't know how much - every day ?? once a week...I give them sunflower seeds, they aren't really keen !! They have had tuna - gonna do the boil eggs thing next !!!

I've got two Polish bantams, one a frizzle called Shirley Bassey (she's got black and gold feathers) and the other smooth feathered pure white called Madonna. They are the very best of friends to the extent that if one can't find the other, they call till the other appears ( very sweet really). BUT. ... Every summer for the past 3 years, Madonna has plucked Shirley B till her chest, head are more or less bare. The first year, I used Anti -peck, nettex, the lot...Separating them just caused both distress. Nothing worked. In the autumn, Shirley B grew her feathers back and she was absolutely pristine by the following spring. Next summer, the behaviour started again. We are now into the third year, and this year I have just left them. Sure enough, now the weather is getting colder, Shirley B is getting her coat back.

Now this may be a result of some deficiency in Madonna or simply that she is " preening" Shirley B too enthusiastically. I don't know and have decided to let live. It hasn't harmed either in the long run so until it does I'll also live with it.

Wow thats weird !! haha

Well we think Matilda has been doing it to Gwen for a fair few months - just the ones on her back - but she has plenty of feathers for us to not worry too much,

She is now defo doing it to the exbats and our worry i guess is because they dont have enough feathers to start with so losing more isnt good !!

BHWT have suggested smearing the exbats with vaseline or sudocream ??

Might try the cottage cheese too - but how often shud i be giving extra protein ??

thanks for all the replies