Luvachicken

Can anyone help my daughter's hamster ?

I just had a worried phone call just now from my daughter about her hamster.

She said he has a little cut on the back of his head and a little bald patch near his cheek. I told her to bathe both areas with some salty water for now. He is still eating and drinking.

She is in rented accomodation in Guildford and weirdly on Thursday last week she found what she thinks is dust mites in her bedroom - but the hamster lives in the lounge in a big rotastak house.

Could he be affected by the mites even though he is in a different room ?

Or could he have something else wrong with him ?

I have told her to tell the landlord that there is an infestation of some bugs in her room. They cannot find the bugs anywhere else in the flat.

Years ago we had a male hamster who developed a bald patch. I am trying to remember what the vet said at the time. I think it was that all hamsters have mites but they do not cause them any problems unless they become ill or stressed and then the mites can start to cause baldness. We were looking after a friend's female hamster at the time and although it was in another cage there was some thought that our male could smell her and maybe that was the cause of the upset. I think the hamster got an injection :? He certainly recovered. Sorry I cannot remember much more.

With regards the mites in your daughter's room. I don't think you can see dust mites so she should try to get someone in to check them out. Hope she gets it resolved.

With regards the mites in your daughter's room. I don't think you can see dust mites so she should try to get someone in to check them out. Hope she gets it resolved.

Thanks LolaLayla, whatever the bugs are they are teeny weeny.

My daughter showed them to me when we visited on Friday - armed with our super strong hoover and the chickens red mite powder.

To start with they were on her phone charger which is black and they showed up well because they were white.

They have since moved on to other things.

But they are the tiniest things I have ever seen - no bigger than the smallest pencil dot if that.

She has phoned the landlord but no reply yet.

Hamsters can and do get mites so it's entirely possible this is the cause of the baldness. Equally, it might also be something like age - they do thin as they get older. That wouldn't explain the cut though.

Hamster Central is a good place to start for remedies - the advice can sometimes relate to America and American products but the advice is normally good.

I think whatever is in her room is unrelated to her hamster.

Yes I would agree with you about that as I believe anything on the hamster would be microscopic. I cannot think what is in your daughters room :? I would be tempted to buy some flea spray from the pet shop too and give that a blast round to kill anything in there.

Hi you can get ivermectin drops for hamsters from Pets at Home or similar places for mites, fleas etc and as mentioned previously hamsters do get balder as they get older my daughters developed cushings which started with baldness but this was round the back end though. Maybe it got caught on something which caused it and the cut?

Yes I would agree with you about that as I believe anything on the hamster would be microscopic. I cannot think what is in your daughters room :? I would be tempted to buy some flea spray from the pet shop too and give that a blast round to kill anything in there.

Make sure hamster is out of room before you spray :-)

I know someone who sprayed air fresher in room with pet rat and died soon after spraying! :shock:

Make sure hamster is out of room before you spray :-)

I know someone who sprayed air fresher in room with pet rat and died soon after spraying! :shock:

Awww poor ratty.

I already sprinkled red mite powder all around the edges of her bedroom floor hoping it would kill them.

I think the landlord is sending someone round to have a look.

I told my daughter to catch some on some sellotape, video them or photo them just in case they are all hiding when someone comes.

I'll let you know what they find.

The landlord has been very good so far.

He has got my daughter a dehumidifier for her room and bought her some kind of spray.

I haven't spoken to her for a couple of days though so don't know how she is getting on with it all.

I have told her to look on here so she can see what you are all saying.

I guess if they don't clear up then Rentokill will have to be the answer.

Thanks everyone xx

I think the critters have mostly gone now :D

The spray and dehumidifier seemed to do the job - and my daughter had great fun squirting the critters whenever she saw any.

Her hamster is completely recovered now and all his fur has grown back - don't what caused it though, and he will be coming here for Christmas :D

Don't think it was bedbugs though as she didn't get any bites.