PoachedPlease

Columbine eggs supposed to be colourful?

my columbine is called Curie after Madame curie cos I hoped she would give me a green/blue egg (geddit?) :wink:

But her much awaited egg this week was a stoney/grey/sage colour. It looks like it could come straight off the farrow and ball counter! No sign of the egg changing colour as we have had identical ones for three days in a row.

Curie is a gorgeous looking ginger bird but she cost £25 as apremium because columbines have a 80% chance of laying blue eggs. Feeling slightly miffed :eh: has anyone got a columbine that does produce blue eggs? Is it worth another go or should I just cough up for the delicate auracanna? Just worried it would get beaten up by my tough hybrids.

Xx

I have an araucana that lays (or did when it bothered to lay) cream eggs - so it seems there's never any guarantee!

I was actually looking for a columbine when I got her, but a lot of breeders said they had stopped breeding columbines for the very reason you describe - people were disappointed when the eggs weren't as expected (and many were demanding their money back)

My araucana lives with 7 hybrids. She's pretty much at the bottom of the pecking order, but moves so quickly (and loudly!) that she doesn't seem to get bullied at all

I have 2 columbines one lays a bluey green egg the other lays a greeney blue egg (trust me there is a difference).

Truly beautiful eggs but they colour does fade as they get nearer to going out of lay for winter.

Good egg, they do sound lovely, and I see the blue eggs at sainsburys in the posh section, promising myself I must get them. But not sure if there is a breeder nearby me. Are they expensive? Do you think I could get some fertilised eggs? My broody will be bored by spring and I would love to Give her something to do.

X

There's someone on here that sells fertilised CCL eggs.... She also does Maran eggs which I lust over.... Oh no, I've just googled the website and she has stopped :cry:

You should be able to get hatching eggs ok, but I would see if anyone else recommends a breeder, always worry about unreputable eggs or not pure breed etc... I got Connie at 6weeks with the other 3 - was a replacement for a previous girl that died so don't know exact price - sorry....

Good egg, they do sound lovely, and I see the blue eggs at sainsburys in the posh section, promising myself I must get them. But not sure if there is a breeder nearby me. Are they expensive? Do you think I could get some fertilised eggs? My broody will be bored by spring and I would love to Give her something to do.

X

Hi,

Never seen blue eggs in shop before. But you gave me an idea... Some of those might be fertile. (It looks like my araucana cockerel won't recover from fox attack and OH won't allow me to spend too much on chickens... Might have just found a way around it) :-))

We have 80 Columbines/Heritage Skylines and colours vary from a fabulous light blue to dark green. Apparently a single cross with an Araucana will produce light blue/turquoise egg as desired but further crossing muddies the Araucana gene so the colours get darker and more green as the breed is more and more mongrelised. I guess it keeps the cost of breeding down while the price of hens very high for a more and more diluted version of the Araucana gene! Caveat Emptor!

We only get about 60% from them (as opposed to 85-90% egg laying from our other hybrid breeds) of which probably 50% are the pure blue we really expected, a couple of creamy white then the rest ranging from light green through to dark, dirty green. Poached or scrambled of course makes the shell colour irrelevant!

In our experience they are a far more hardy breed however and they are supposed to lay for a great deal longer.. But our jury is still out on that as we have only recently bitten the bullet for a more expensive breed.

I had sage eggs from my Columbine - I seem to remember the colour brightened up a little after she'd been laying a while.

Same here! My girl's first few eggs were a little dull but suddenly became brighter and the blue tint came through more - I also love the shape and the size is really lovely :)

I heard that they aren't as regular laying as many hybrids but I actually find mine lays most days, I get 5 eggs a week on average.

I don't need to add anything about more about other colours that the Columbine lays as others have covered everything!

(Oh, just noticed another 'Mrs B' replying to the thread...that confused me a bit :lol:)

Edit: My Columbine's eggs are a mix between blue and green but more on the blue side!

x