debbiedoobs

poorly silkie keeps falling over!

Can't believe that we are having to go back to vets tonight cos she's worse again this morning! Gutted, I honestly thought she was so much better I need not worry any more! :cry:. She's back in the front room with me, she's Sat in a box with mealworms and sunflower seeds scattered infront of her. Hope we can sort her out!

I've finally managed to calm myself down after goin to the vets. Claudia is spending the night there and week be having a xray and blood test to see if what ever it is wrong is treatable. So if its the egg peritonitis it can be treated with anti Biotics or an operation. He also mentioned mareks, he said that if it is that then we may need to report it and then have the other girls culled. At this point the tears had already arrived! :cry: Please don't tell me this is true! :cry:

Oh I am so sorry, I totally sympathise having had a girl poorly who I lost despite mine and the vets best efforts. Please don't think you have to cull your others if one has mareks, they can have it and it come out at times of stress but that doesn't mean you have to cull the others, that was certainly the advice of my vet. My girl was around three and had been treated for a cold before the mareks came to the fore, I think she had the slow burn type as she just got gradually more wobbly even though she was still eating and drinking. I am pretty sure it's not a reportable disease either but others may know better.

I really hope you have a good outcome but if not at least you will know you have done everything you can.

Sending hugs. Xx

Hi there again, it's very scary for you but just wait and see before you get too upset.

I really don't think mareks is notifiable, as it is fairly common maybe he was thinking of newcastles....if the girls have been exposed and indeed are carrying mareks I think there immune system would be compromised so they will become more susceptible to opportunistic infection.

Try not to worry too much until you know what it is then you can make an informed decision...again I am very sorry especially as i put the fear in to you when you started this thread /(

The thought of losing them all was what set me off. I don't know how people manage losing them to illnesses all the time, we lost one earlier this year and i still get choked up bout it. I've sorted myself out and ready for tomorrows outcome now. I've looked up bout it bein a reportable disease and I can't find anything, he said the guidelines change all the time. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a good day tomos! :cry:

Hello debbiedoobs. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Sounds a bit as if you have an over zealous vet as I'm certain Mareks is not repportable. If he (she) says anything about culling the others put your foot down squarely :talk2hand: because you may well find that the low level exposure has given the others some imunity. What it would mean however, I think, is that it would not be advisable to get any very young birds or un-vaccinated Silkies of any age, in the future (there is another breed too that is susceptible but I've forgotten which :doh: - don't think it is a common one though). I believe the time the mareks bug can stay around in the earth is 2 years.

I read that it's shed from their dander. The others may well have it but it may never materialize. I think it suggested not to add to your existing flock, but there was no mention of a cull, and I couldn't find anything that said it was reportable. :? It also said that it affects pullets up to about 20 weeks old, so maybe it's not the dreaded M word :| ( think that should say 20 months)

Edited by Guest

Hello everyone, Had a really cap day, had my phone with me at every moment and when it got to 4.30 I rang them. Was told the vet had gone home for the day but claudia was ready to be picked up. Have to say after me getting really peed off I finally had another one of the vets ring me from home to tell me what's going on. Some kind of mix up apparently! Anyway. .. her xray was clear, her blood showed no problems with her organs but a high amount of white blood cells. He's given her a week of different anti biotics and more metacam. He also wants blood test to rule out mareks sending off. He however knew the rules with mareks and confirmed that its not a reportable disease and that I would not need to lose the rest of my girls. He said he thinks it could be an infection from the egg peritonitis as he originally thought or something like ovarian cancer or leukemia. He wants to see how she is with these new anti biotics and wait for results on mareks. So she's home and I've put her to bed with the others so she's comforted by them. She's walking worse now than ever so I'm not expecting miracles. I don't want her to be in pain or getting stressed so will keep her well looked after for next few days. Looks like if there's no improvement then we'll be makin a hard decision. Please keep your fingers crossed for us x x

I so hope all is well. :pray: All the same I must admit that I think your vet is being somewhat incompetent and taking a lot more money off you than he need do :think: I get a bit annoyed about the way now so many vets do diagnostic test after diagnostic test so they can avoid giving a competent diagnosis based on experience. Perhaps they are scared of being sued :roll: I really miss the old style James Herriot type vet and yes they did used to exist.

I know what you mean shabbychic, I'm waiting for him to call me back at the min.

I'm gutted to say that I think we are going to be having our little Claudia put to sleep. Devastated! She isn't getting better and now can barely walk, her right leg seems to be up in the air most of the time and it's not safe for her to be out with the others. I sat out with her all afternoon yesterday and helped her move around the garden, she seemed so happy. Had to keep her in today as she was constantly falling over. Just been reading a post on backyard chickens and there's someone who keeps their part paralyzed chicken in bird cage indoors. Problem is I don't know if she's in pain. God this is like torture! Anyone any ideas?x