chuckmum6

Poultry breeders

I am looking to add to my flock as a couple of my old girls have moved on to the great nest box in the sky. What do you know about Newland Poultry and Mini Meadows stock quality?

Also my girls aren't vaccinated, how long would I need to leave vaccinated girls before introducing them?

I went to Mini Meadows last summer. Their flocks of breeds are laid out nicely and seemed to be fine. However wasn't so keen on the hybrids and mixed flock kept together as some seemed to be unwell. To be fair they seem to be trying to set it all out nicely and the pure breeds had nice enclosures and new housing - all renovating things going on. But the nagging thought of the visibly unhappy birds left me rather uneasy - although other people were buying up poultry from that section without batting an eyelid. Again I would say go and have a look to see if it's different now and if you have any doubts then don't buy from there.

Am going to be doing the intro thing myself next weekend. I think it's at least 2 weeks but 30 to 60 days is better. I was lucky last time - I had the birds separated but the bad weather - snow and freezing conditions some years ago - made me put all the birds in the cube to keep each other warm at night. During the day I separated them to reduce pecking as there was nowhere to free range or escape to with all the snow. Once it had melted I let them all free range and they were fine. But I was lucky they didn't harbour viruses.

I bought my buff sussex, wyandotte and cream legbar from Mini Meadows 18 months ago. Hilda was really ill within a week of getting her home and we discovered Beryl had bumblefoot which to this day we are still trying to eradicate, poor thing. Betty has been ok though.

Not sure if all of that was just bad luck, but I'd be reluctant to buy any other girls from them based on my experience.

Newland Poultry on the other hand I think is a fab place, great setup, nice people and lots of lovely chooks in a good environment. Just a shame they don't do many pure breeds.

Hope that helps.

Sarah and Shaun have an amazing set up at Newland :D

Their care is amazing and they are always so helpful.

We will be getting a few hybrids later this year and without question we will be going to Newland :D

(Even though it's a 5 hour round trip :wink: )

I also love Newland Poultry. I would never go anywhere else to get birds now - they're so helpful and their birds look fantastic :D I got my eglu and most of my chicken keeping items from their shop.

Sarah is also licensed to sell Flubenvet which is handy :)

Huge recommendation for Newland Poultry from me! :dance:

x

I know what exactly what you both mean...when I went there to get some Lavender Orpingtons I nearly came home with some Serama cockerels too! They're just sooooo sweet and are funny little characters :D

Took a lot of will power to walk away... :lol:

x

It used to be sweet shops - now it's chicken breeders! Oh well good for the weight, bad for the finances but oh yummy eggs.

Quite so. :roll: Chickens and greyhounds are just like chocolates in boxes - I keep having to try one more just to see what that different one is like so I've got 9 chooks but have plans for 12 even though I always swore I'd only ever have 6 :anxious: Luckily chickens take up less room than greyhounds and don't cost quite so much at the vets.

Interesting reading about Mini Meadows! I was looking to buy from them as struggling to find any silkie breeders near me :( but reading this thread has made me think twice!! I did notice 1 hen hobbling about but just thought it was a one off.

Just adding to this.

We went to Newland poultry on Friday and bought three hens to add to our flock.

Amazing as always.

I can't see me buying hens anywhere else ever again!!

With having a choice of hybrids or pure breeds they really are a one stop shop.

We took the van and also stocked up on Garvo and Aubiose too (our local Garvo man is a bit flakey and we can't get Aubiose for love nor money :anxious: )

Sarah was her usual friendly self. And where else can you see a Silkie feathered Serama cockerel walking around like he owns the place :lol: Hubby was very taken with him :P

Hi Chuckmum6

I am also on the lookout for more chickens. I seem to remember you live in the same area as me so let me know where you decide to go! I can't decide whether to go for hybrids or some cute little pekins or sablepoots for our smallish garden. Bet my other girls won't like it! There doesn't seen to be many places close to us. I would love to have them from chicks but I wouldn't know where to start! They're really for my 5 year old as we lost our 12 year old rabbit last week. Keep us posted on what you decide- what breeds do you think you will go for?

Back to your original question Chuckmum6, "if I get vaccinated how long should I leave them". The answer to be safe is two years. They can shed IB for a year and ILT for two years. My advice would be not to get vaccinated at all, otherwise you could end up with the disaster we had with all our old birds sick with ILT and IB simultaneously. We then had to run two separate flocks, infected and not.

Good blue laced Wyandottes are quite rare, the main reason is that they don't breed 100% true. In any hatch you will get the derivative colours which are Buff and Gold. So from a hatch you can expect 50% Blue and 25% each of the derivatives. As far as I know there are now only 3 active breeders on the Laced Wyandotte Club register in England. There were six and we and bought a replacement cockerel from a breeder in Wales who was packing up. Both in Staffordshire have ceased trading. There may be people offering stock that are not breeding to show standard, but that still look nice birds.

There is a breed club for most breeds and those that have no club are covered by the Rare Poultry Society. These clubs often have lists of breeders or can pass your details on. I would always recommend that anyone looking for a decent example of a pure breed start with the club. Thats not to say that retailers dont sell nice birds but you can normally source better examples for less money by going straight to the breeders

On the subject of Blue Laced Wyandottes Richard Rowley has some of the best blue laced in the country, both large and bantam and I think he may still breed Australorps which are lovely birdsand who knows what else he has hidden away. a great character and fab poultryman - he lives in Leicestershire (or southern Notts) Kerry Wilson has fantastic blue laced bantams (amongst other colours) but is further south in Herts. A Google will throw up their telephone numbers I feel sure. Cheshire Poultry (again a bit of a drive) breeds large blue laced too, he has a 'retail' type set up but his birds are great quality.

Its not really the best time of the year to buy and as Beantree says there is a lot of wastage in breeding blue laced, this can make them pricey as well as hard to find!