libby22

Something is wrong

My two girls have stopped eating their pellets - they are just not interested. One of them has runny poo which is light green, but it looks like bile because her crop is empty. I have tried everything. They will eat small amounts and if you bring that item to them again - they aren't interested. As a result, they look really cold too.

I took Pickles to the vet yesterday but he said she was a very good weight and in excellent condition other than the runny poo. He gave me a charcoal preparation to settle her gut and a probiotic for her water. He said he was reluctant to prescribe an antibiotic, as he couldn't see there was an infection and the antibiotic would wipe out all the good bacteria and this could really cause problems.

I managed to get them both to drink plenty yesterday, but very minimal food went in. Pepper doesn't have runny poo, but she isn't eating at all well. This morning I gave them both scrambled egg - usually they fight for it but they weren't interested.

Their tails are high, eyes bright, they aren't running around, but they won't have very much energy to spend.

The vet told me to worm them when I got home and I have mixed the pellets with Flubenvet but of course they won't eat them! I am really at my wits end now, as I am so used to the things they will eat and they are refusing them all. I am even giving them cat food and they have taken some and left the rest.

Is there anything else I could worm them with? It isn't going to work with the pellets and I am wondering if that is the problem.

This is exactly the problem I have been having with Agnes. I posted in Chickens here and mimi suggested trying her on a pellet and warm water mix made into a sort of porridge. This worked very well for a couple of days and Agnes poo went back to normal, however I know she is not eating as much of this now and her poo is a bit watery again. Maybe worth a try.

I ruled out worms as I do worm regularly, although I would worm them again if I could find something Agnes would eat consistently just to make sure. Are yours eating corn or mealworms?

I believe someone on my thread had posted about Panacur but I have never used that, maybe someone here will give you some advice on that.

I think you may be right and I could kick myself for sticking to the worming routine rather than bringing it forward.

They ate a little corn/mealworms, but left the rest and I have had to rake the pen out because we have a rat trying to get in at the moment. They won't touch greens, had white maggots today and left half :shock: - never heard of.

Usually there is a free for all as soon as I put food into the pen, now they just stare at it, do a gentle peck and walk away. Did manage to get them to eat a tiny bit this morning, but not much.

My vet did say that now he had Pickles' weight and was happy he had seen her, as long as I ring in the next three days, he would be happy to prescribe further if it would assist. I wonder if he may prescribe something for worms??

Well, just gave the vet a call, but he advised to introduce the feed without the Flubenvet and then, once they are eating, introduce the medication. That didn't really help as they won't eat the feed and probably because the need the Flubenvet!

Are any of the spot on treatments effective against worms? I can't think of what else to do.

I think you may be right and I could kick myself for sticking to the worming routine rather than bringing it forward.

You have me a bit worried now.

I worm mine every three months. Is this not correct anymore ?

Should I be worming them more often ?

Libby, I hope your girls start picking up soon xx

Just a suggestion :D When I had my dear Monty we thought he might have gape worm and was off his food :( So how to get the double dose flubenvet in to him :eh: My lovely vet Sarah said well we can mix it in to suspension and syringe it in to him daily for the weeks treatment :clap: So she had to workout the dose ratio (which I sadly can't remember :oops: ) Well he did recover :D Although syringing is a whole other task :roll:

You could ask your vet?

Hi Luvachicken - don't worry at all, I am the one in the wrong here. I worm my girls in the autumn and spring and thought that would be ok as they don't free range, but obviously not. I nearly changed the routine but thought I was worrying too much - how wrong I was :evil:

You live and learn I suppose.

Mimi5 - thank you for that - I will do anything at the moment to help them as it is both of the girls now and they have stopped eating completely. They are drinking and I managed to buy some wormer that is added to their water and checking with the vet, they are happy for me to go ahead with it. I have paid extra to have it delivered today so fingers crossed.

I have someone at home now who is just adding it to the water for me and some to a small tub, as they girls will run to us and drink from a tub if we hold it - don't ask me why - so a good way to try and get it into them.

Thank you so much for your help and advice - it is really appreciated.

I'd get back to the vet with a poo sample so they can run a worm count, as the hens aren't eating, the vet might recommend dosing them with Panacur (which they would prescribe off-label as it's not licensed for use on poultry in the UK). This is a suspension, so needs to be shaken first and administered with a syringe... from memory it's two doses a week apart.

In the meantime, I'd syringe some NutriDrops into them and lace their water with a good poultry tonic to ensure they are at least getting some nutrients.

I hope they pick up.

Hi Luvachicken - don't worry at all, I am the one in the wrong here. I worm my girls in the autumn and spring and thought that would be ok as they don't free range, but obviously not. I nearly changed the routine but thought I was worrying too much - how wrong I was :evil:

Thanks Libby, I just assumed you did the same as me.

I hope your girls start to feel much better really soon xx

Hi all and thanks for your help and advice. I had already started the ball rolling with the soluble wormer and although they wouldn't eat, they did drink quite a bit yesterday.

Today, I fetched them both in - cat baskets side by side - and sat with them for a couple of hours, offering tubs of the treated water and added some Avipro to it to try and get some electrolytes into them too. They were obliging and drank some every 10 mins or so, then dozed inbetween. After an hour or so, they were more lively and looked into the tubs - I think looking for food. Offered them some pellets and they very slowly ate. For the next hour, I held either the water tub or the pellet tub and they slowly took from each - was so relieved.

I have kept a note of the Panacur for future reference - thanks Dogmother - and I shall mention it to my vet when I next visit as it would have been extremely useful this time around.

Thanks Chuckmum6 - I have never tried cheese so that is again worth knowing for medication times.

Whilst they were in the house, I raked their run out, then put them back in and they did seem brighter. Sat with them again for an hour or so - got nothing else done today! They have steadily been eating so I mixed some vitamin powder into yoghurt which they enjoyed. The medication stays in the water for two days, so nearly done. Once they are eating 100% properly, I shall read up on the break I need to give them and then do the Flubenvet for good measure I think.

They have - just before bed - wolfed down a good amount of sweetcorn each with their usual vigour, which I have missed so much so fingers crossed.

Luvachicken, I too shall now be worming every three months - so this had been a good lesson! Thanks for your support.

Today, I fetched them both in - cat baskets side by side - and sat with them for a couple of hours, offering tubs of the treated water and added some Avipro to it to try and get some electrolytes into them too. They were obliging and drank some every 10 mins or so, then dozed inbetween. After an hour or so, they were more lively and looked into the tubs - I think looking for food. Offered them some pellets and they very slowly ate. For the next hour, I held either the water tub or the pellet tub and they slowly took from each - was so relieved.

Well done libby , you really deserve them to recover after all that effort :clap: . It certainly sounds hopeful.

I have started worming mine again, even though I do it regularly I have decided to bring it forward in case that is the problem with Agnes. I am lucky as she is still eating the warm pellet porridge in the mornings so hopefully this will be enough.

I have the safety specs too :lol: I had to wear them for a time, as Pepper took a shine to my eyelashes and as I bent down, she jumped up and I got a black eye from a peck and pull of the eyelid :roll:

Thanks Eggasperated. I thought I was doing so well - Pepper is back to her usual self and eating well but Pickles was very quiet again this morning. I fetched her in again, but she wouldn't eat. I had boxes of everything going and she eventually ate 5 or 6 pieces of sweetcorn and a quarter of a grape. She is drinking, so have avipro and garlic in her water. When she moulted in November, her comb flopped to one side and it has never righted itself. Now and again it is a bit purple at the back of the comb and I wondered if it was her heart? Today it is purple on some of the tips too.

I have just taken her back out, as I have removed their clear covers to let the sun in. Pepper is sitting, but Pickles is a bit puffed up and standing with her eyes closed - she has been walking around for a while though. They have just had a row - Pepper challenged Pickles' top hen status and they had a staring match for around 3 minutes :roll: Eventually Pickles stamped at Pepper and raised her head above her and Pepper ran. That is as vicious as they get with each other - horrid with other girls but not each other. So Pickles is well enough to take the challenge.

I am worried now whether it is something I haven't thought of. Her belly isn't hot and I don't think it is swollen but she never came back into lay and has laid two small pink lumps about 2 weeks ago and that is it. Although at two and a half, I wasn't expecting a Gingernut Ranger to come back into lay to be honest. Her tail is up nicely, her eyes are bright, when she isn't dozing and she looks in good condition. I am hoping it isn't peritonitis. She still has runny poo which smells very acidic and is often watery urates. She did poo better over night and it was the colour of the pellets she was eating.

I don't know whether to phone the vet again and ask for antibiotics in case it is an infection. Gosh they are a worry.

Well, no luck with the eating today and she is very quiet, so have just been to the vets and fetched a bottle of Baytril.

For all she isn't well, she put up quite a fight when we tried to give it to her. Managed in the end, but she is going to know what is coming next time so heaven help me!

Have you tried wrapping her in a towel? Keeps them a bit more under control :wink:

Blue tinged comb would indicate heart, perhaps it's old age catching up on your girlie? Baytril is very good and if there's an infection it should sort it out! They are a worry :(

Let us know how she gets on?

Thanks very much - I will do. I tried everything with her today, but she wasn't going to eat, then she spotted a sultana in the mealworm/treat bucket and ran off with it at full pelt :shock: Went and got her a few more and she tried her best to eat a few. The interest seems to be there, but she gets tired halfway through and gives up. Fingers crossed with the Baytril - I will keep you posted and thanks for your support.