libby22

Something is wrong

Oh gosh, just caught up on this thread, you poor things, what a worry.

Sending you big hugs as know exactly how you must be feeling. I can't think of anything to suggest that you haven't already tried, so am keeping everything crossed that the Baytril bucks her up.

My Vera still isn't right and sounds a lot like Pickles, lots of standing around puffed up, but then perks up and looks like her normal self. She is losing loads of feathers as well though, which I thought might be illness related, but with no other signs of anything wrong I'm starting to to think maybe its just an oddly timed moult.

If Pepper is eating again now, maybe they both had the same thing and Pickles will soon pick up too. The fact that she's feisty with you and Pepper is a good sign, so fingers crossed she will pull through this soon :pray:

They are such a worry aren't they - do wish they could tell me what was going on!

Thank you so much - felt really down about it all today as I feel that I will lose her in the end, but had to give myself a kick and say - if that is the case, you did everything and she had a fab life, but then you sink again. Thanks for the hugs - they are very welcome.

I do hope Vera picks up, they both have us at a loss I think. Hoping it is a moult for her, as it will right itself shortly if so.

We notice every tiny thing don't we when they are ill. I was watching Pickles today and she occasionally curled her right foot and either stood on it or held it up. I checked it and it seems fine but read it could be a vitamin B deficiency and as she isn't eating very well, could possibly be. I shall think of how to get some into her. I have Lifeguard tonic but she won't touch it in her water :roll:

Oh well, will see what tomorrow brings.

I was saying that to Vera today - please just tell me whats wrong and I'll fix it for you!

Everything you say is exactly how I feel, always hoping for the best but preparing for the worst at the same time, one minute feeling really positive and upbeat and the next, like you say, sinking again. Its such an emotional roller coaster.

I'll have a scout around online on the Vitamin B front, will let you know if I find anything. I'm really super sensitive to all my girls at the moment too, picking them up and checking them and watching them like a hawk for any unusual behaviour - one of them only has to stand still for a few seconds and I'm worrying.

I'm still thinking some of this with our girls could be weather related you know, its been so awful the last few weeks that maybe psychologically they're just really down and off their food cos of that :?

Anyway, try to keep your chin up, you're doing everything you can and hopefully tomorrow morning she'll have turned a corner x

Arrrr, Libby22 I am thinking of you. Interesting about the purple comb....I didn't know that. Cluck had purple comb, I just thought it was worn out it is chicken, which I suppose it it. She did also lift one of her feet every now and then and curl her toes. Anyway thinking of you and your girls. You are doing a fabulous job with them.x

Sorry if I'm repeating myself (I've had a bit of an eventful day :roll: ) But have you tried Nutri drops by nettex? They are great and I am never without some :wink: They are full of vits and help stimulate appitite. You can even add them to pellet porridge!!

They all so a product for moulting, but I haven't used it myself.

igobarefoot - what would we give if they could talk! I was chatting away to her - tell me what you want to eat and I will get it for you - I don't care what it is - just tell me. The neighbours in the garden next door very kindly ignored me :oops:

I do agree - you get paranoid with their every move. I am so tired as I fall asleep thinking about what to do, get up early to get on with it and realised at 2.00 pm that I hadn't eaten - who knew chickens could do this to us?? :roll: You just can't explain it to anyone who doesn't have them. It could be weather linked - they were happier today in the sunshine. Thank you so much for your help and understanding.

Thanks Clucker1 - I was so sorry when you lost Cluck - she sounded like a little toughie, really hoped my girls would last that long, as she was a trooper.

mimi5 - thank you so so much for that - I think either you or the Dogmother mentioned it earlier in the thread, but so much has happened I overlooked it. My partner had someone run into the back of his car last night whilst he was sat at the traffic lights and he hasn't been happy sharing his due attention with a chicken today! I have just ordered some nutridrops, as I should be able to get those into her. I have some watered down Lifeguard for tomorrow morning - she will drink most things if I add garlic :roll: The water/Lifeguard is sitting now with a garlic clove soaking in the bottle, but am not holding my breath! Do hope your day wasn't a bad eventful day - all seems to be going on at the moment.

Hi. Well, she was slow to come out of the house, but I chopped her some raisins into tiny bits and she stood and steadily ate for quite some time. She also ate some brown rice and had a drink of her Lifeguard with garlic :shock: Not much of anything went in, but she was trying very hard. She picked it up, dropped it and then tried to eat it.

I was at work, but my mom kept an eye on her and said she was doing that for most of the day on and off and also ate some sweetcorn. I checked her crop tonight and it is still quite empty.

I am hoping she keeps it up for tomorrow as she did this the other day and then went down hill again the next day. However, her comb was red instead of purple so :pray

How is Vera getting on - any improvement today?

Thats good news and a really good sign about her comb and thank goodness she's eating something and more importantly, trying to eat something too. A little bit is better than nothing and hopefully it will give her the energy to eat a bit more tomorrow. Bless her, its heartbreaking to watch them want and try to eat isn't it.

Vera is still standing puffed up and losing feathers like no-one's business so she must be having a mini moult. Her last one was in all that hot weather in the summer, so moulting at odds times seems to be her thing. I can't think what else it can be as she's eating OK, her poo is normal and she's talking, but boy she looks so miserable!

Its Hilda's turn today though to be unwell, odd sloppy poos and she doesn't want to eat at all. Lots of standing still with one leg behind the other, that typical stance that tells me something's up. Like you, I managed to tempt her with a few bits, some meal worms, sweetcorn and yogurt, but not much before she turned away. At best a tummy upset, worse an infection I suspect :anxious:

What a pair we are with our girls eh? x

It doesn't sound as if she's distressed or in pain from your description - just fading. At this stage, if you're happy to continue, then just try to feed her up, but do be ready to despatch her if she looks to be in pain.

I had one who just faded away quietly last summer - I made her a nest in an old washing up bowl, and popped her on the flower bed, in the shade.... she just faded away with her friends around her. If I thought she was suffering, I'd have culled her.

That is a shame, I do appreciate what you are saying.

I am watching her closely, as I want to do the best for her and wouldn't want any pain for her. Luckily my vet is open very long hours and weekends so I have that as back up if I do need to have her put to sleep. I was concerned with the purple comb but today it is back to normal. It all seems so strange. She even galloped down the run today and really took me by surprise.

I had one who just faded away quietly last summer - I made her a nest in an old washing up bowl, and popped her on the flower bed, in the shade.... she just faded away with her friends around her. If I thought she was suffering, I'd have culled her.

Its horrid saying goodbye to our girls, but that sounds like the nicest way, fading away in the flowerbeds surrounded by friends. I'd like to go that way myself when the time comes :)

igobare - I always think if their poo is normal - you have a really good head start. They do look so miserable when they are moulting and it must be really uncomfortable when you see the feathers poking through their skin bless them.

Poor Hilda - just as you get a break with one, the others start! I am sorry. I hope she picks up soon for you. Pickles was especially happy with a bit of cooked brown rice this morning and the poor thing chupped away for ages, she was so pleased to see it :lol: She is very talkative and if I sit in there with her, she tells me all about it - just not enough detail for me to fix it :lol:

Let's hope they both pick up a bit tomorrow - even if it is a little bit. :pray:

Yes I agree, normal poo is such a good sign, almost heartwarming to see dare I say it! Honestly, I'm like the Gillian McKeith of chicken poo these days!! :lol:

And so is talking I think. Olive went totally silent when she was ill and my old girl Dottie always goes quiet when she's been unwell in the past, so I always know its bad when they stop talking to me. Pickles is still talking so that is definitely a good sign.

Yes, fingers crossed for a better day tomorrow :pray: Thinking of you x

Yes, when they "chat" I always think that's a good sign....so does Sarah, my lovely chicken friendly vet :wink: All we can do is give them a chance. My Florence was at deaths door about this time last year :( She had some gastro thing, awful poos not eating etc.

Well, with a lot of TLC just like you ladies are giving your girlies....she completely recovered :shock: She didn't lay an egg with a shell on after that though :( Her comb would sometimes be a bit blueish too, but I reckoned if she had a summer in the sun that would be fab! Well, she did and also managed a total moult :shock: But, sadly developed sour crop and then some sort of infection and had to be PTS. She had almost a year longer :clap:

It helped me not to feel super sad.....as I hatched her under my Molly.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for all of us!!! :anxious: I'm off work now and going to spend sometime getting to know Max and Verity :D

Bit of a puzzler this Libby22. Not eating and an empty crop is something we have had before. It has been sour crop and it has also been a mystery. In the latter cases we hand fed ground up rearer pellets mixed with a little water into balls and washed down with more water three times a day. Sometimes they just picked up in a few days as if nothing had happened. The important thing is the water preferably with electrolytes. If they are dehydrated the skin is noticeably wrinkly.

The biggest head scratcher came from a case of Carbon Monoxide poisoning due to a faulty wood burner. That also came with total loss of appetite, a purple comb on some days and ruffled feathers as he was feeling the cold. Of course we put him closer to the fire!

igobarefoot I totally agree - did we ever think when we got our girls that we would be following them around checking on the colour and texture of their poo :lol: I am so relieved when it is normal and my stomach rolls when it isn't and not because it is just yucky :lol:

Pickles was brighter this morning - flew out of the cube with a thump :roll: She steadily tucked into her food, with much chupping with delight at the array of choice in front of her. She was picking the food up and dropping it, but after a while it started to go down and later in the day, she was really tucking in so hope she keeps going that way. Nice red comb again today - no purple but she still stands around for a while just looking about or snoozing. She seems old before her time which is such a shame. How is Hilda doing? I was thinking this morning, that you were probably doing exactly the same with Hilda as I was with Pickles.

mimi5 - you have hit the nail on the head - if we can just do all we can for them and give them as long as possible with a good quality of life, then that is spot on. I did wonder if Pickles was trying to come back into lay - really hope she doesn't - so much easier if not :lol: It must be very difficult to lose one that you have had from a chick, but really lovely. Hope Max and Verity are settling in. Great time of the year, just as we come to spring, to have newbies waiting for us.

The Dogmother - that is encouraging re the comb. It has been my main concern, but I feel better knowing it isn't always something that will just see them off straightaway.

Thanks Clucker1. She certainly seems a lot brighter today, but you know how they can fool you and change course :roll: So not taking anything for granted just yet. Trouble is, if she goes, I am left with a terrified girl who is in a run separated by a few inches from these two, and the remaining one is the bully so no way will they ever get together. Come on Pickles - we all need you :lol:

Beantree - it totally is a puzzler. I was just not ready for not eating and empty crop. I check their crops first thing each day and they have Avipro a couple of times a week, natural yoghurt twice a week and white maggots once every 10 days to strive to keep their crops in good condition - didn't see this one coming at all. Luckily, the one thing she will do is drink - not excessively, but steadily through the day so she has oreg-stim or lifeguard with garlic - she sometimes turns her beak up, but she is being very good at the moment - she loves garlic in any form. When my mom was watching her, she said are you sure she hasn't hurt her mouth or throat - she seems hungry but not able to swallow the food down - this is when we need them to tell us.

Poor you with the wood burner :shock: and what a good job you noticed what it was - the odds were stacked against you there - you do your best and something like that happens! Was he ok in the end?

He was fine in the end Libby22. Took 3 months to work it out and only because I eventually had symptoms as well. Went onto electric heating for 3 days and he started to recover almost immediately. Turns out Carbon Monoxide alarms activate at 50ppm but sickness from long term exposure is at 30ppm. Chickens are far less tolerant than that; my estimate is 10ppm. He is a house pet and will be 7 this year.

I know they get garlic but it is still worth checking the throat for fungal cankers (white lumps). We use chopped onion to counter cankers, which is a Polish remedy. There are two types of fungus, but no point in explaining that yet.

We stopped giving ours white maggots when I discovered they can get Botulism (I think it is) from them. It is mentioned in Gale Dumelows book 'Raising Chickens". Because maggots are bred on meat products. Mealworms are OK.

Oh Libby thats great news about Pickles today! Yay, so pleased she has been eating with gusto and making all those excited little chupping noises, she's clearly got her appetite back and thoroughly enjoying it! :dance: What a relief, bet you're feeling so much better today :) I reckon she'll pick up more now she's eating again, and will slowly stop the standing around bit and snoozing once she's got her energy back - how old is she by the way?

Hilda has also picked up over the last couple of days and is eating too, proper chicken food as well, not just treats, so am feeling relieved here too. Feels like the first time this year that I haven't had a worried/anxious feeling in my tummy about them.

I reckon our girls have been suffering from the same thing you know, and can definitely imagine us both doing the same thing with them at the same time. Although I wish we both hadn't been going through it, its really helped having your support and being able to talk about it and share, so thanks so much and hopefully we can both get back to enjoying our girls now like the Dogmother suggests :D