sadietoo

Dublin

Last week we had a family celebration in Dublin (DS 21st Birthday - he is at Uni in Belfast so joined us there). It was my first time in the city and I thought it was absolutely charming (it probably helped that it didn't rain!). We visited Trinity College and the Book of Kells and Library (amazing!) and Kilmainham Goal which was very moving, and The Guinness Storehouse which was fun, and their Gravity Bar is the most wonderful place to drink a pint of Guinness that you have poured yourself (proud moment!) and watch the sun go down . The best of it was that for the Birthday Celebration on a Tuesday evening, everywhere we went was busy with live music and a really good atmosphere. I think it might be a bit too "busy" for me at the weekend but it was a perfect choice for a mid week break. If you haven't been there and are thinking of a quick break with lots of good places to eat , a nice river to walk along, great architecture, and friendly locals you could do worse! Just thought I'd share!

Daughter been there for the last 10 years and now her partner and my grandson who is 3 also. I loved going on the open top bus round the city and the night life as you said was wonderful with music everywhere and also good food. Wagamamas was ace, was the first time I had been to one, and I have been to the theatre twice - once to see Lord of the Dance - it is such a great city for just about everything.

Glad you enjoyed Dublin Sadietoo,there is a great atmosphere there.Hope your son is enjoying Belfast,I'm guessing Queens.Have you had weekend in Belfast?There is also lots to do here too.And no I don't work for tourist board :lol: just it's nice to see plenty of visitors after the long lean years.

Hi. Yes he's in his second year at Queens and we have visited him there and Belfast is also a great city. We had car hire that time so we were able to get around and we walked up Divis mountain and took in the view as well as a trip to Bangor and the picture perfect Donaghadee. However it was November and so we have promised ourselves a longer trip to do more of the area in better weather!