pam771771

Wasting food. How much should they eat.

Hi all,

So, my naughty chickens have started wasting food and it's driving me crazy!!

I give them layers pellets in a feeder (and this is always full up for them to have as much as they want), and I also give them approx. 2 mug fulls of corn a day in a small feeder (trough type) that hangs on the inside of their run.

They eat the pellets (without much mess), but the corn they spill everywhere (and refuse to eat any once it's on the floor), yet they make a racket demanding more corn in their feeder!! I think they like certain pieces out of the mixed corn and the rest they simply discard.

Am I spoiling them? Giving them too much food/too much choice? I only have 3 chickens, am I giving them enough corn for more then that?

The coop is on concrete slabs & wood chip and needs cleaned out a couple of times a week and I'm sick of cleaning up/throwing out loads of feed.

Any thoughts welcome

Pam :)

I would definitely limit the mixed corn. Mine were the same when I used to feed them mash - they made a damn fine mess with it, picking out all their favourite bits and wasting loads of it in the process. I managed to wean them off mash in the end and they are happily back on pellets. Mine get and handful of mixed corn or mealworms in the morning and another handful in the late afternoon - mainly used as a bribe to get them to go back into their run :!: Other than that, treats should be limited as much as possible because they soon learn to be very naughty if they think they are going to get some :!::roll:

Ditto to all the above, my 4 get pellets during the day and towards bedtime they get a small cup of corn or mealworms, or whatever treat I choose to give them and the like lee, mine will eat them from wherever they can get them.

I think it's time to reign your fussy girls in and show them who's boss.....I still haven't managed it yet :lol:

too much corn - I read that you should not feed corn in a feeder, but scatter on the floor for them to scratch for.

My 2 big girls get 250g of mash in morning with 1/4 cabbage or broccoli hung up in run. I think this gives them something to do during the day.

Then they get some mealworms daily as a bribe - after free ranging to get them back in run or onto my lap!

Then usually a handful of corn or defrosted sweetcorn at about 5pm.

They do love spaghetti but I know this is bad for them so now a weekend treat, and occasionally some toast and marmite.

Our mixed corn treats are scattered in the run. A small handful is sufficient for 4 of them. Too much maize or sweetcorn and they get fat and stop laying. If any corn falls into the feeder containing their pellets they dig out the pellets to get to it, so I have to be careful to scatter the treat away from the feeder. As Dogmother says, if they spill food I take the feeder out until they have eaten the stuff off the floor.

A large fowl laying hen eats 120 -150 grammes of pellets each day. Our bantams eat half that. A none laying hen or a cockerel eats about the same, 60 grammes.

I have never measured what they eat as it varies with laying and seasons; I just keep the feeder topped up during the week, and run it down towards the weekend, then what ever's left is put in a bowl with some warm water (they will scoff it if it looks different!) while I clean the feeders and drinkers.