clucker1

Dog carrier recommendations for small car

OK, well we are hoping to get a cocker spaniel in the Summer. My car (ie not main family car) is a mini ( new type one ie not a 20th century mini). So, not brilliant for carrying a dog and I do LOVE my mini so not looking to change it. Has anyone recommendations how to carry a dog safely in a small car? Was thinking of seatbelting it in rear passenger seat with doggy harness, though not sure if this would work with a puppy? Or a crate?? Won't be doing journeys longer than half a hour in it, mainly 15 minute drives.

I too would say a crate until puppy no longer chews leads etc and then use a harness with seat belt attachment. That's what we did with Neela, although naughtily I have her in the footwell for short journeys :oops: If you do t feel you are going to crate your pup at home, I would see if you can borrow a small one as you really won't be using it for that long.

Fab and thank you everyone. We are planning to use a crate for indoors, so I could either use the same crate or get one for the car. We do have a pet carrier which we have used for rabbits, guinea pigs, cats and chickens! for trips to the vets etc. It is a standard size wire carrier, but I think it would be too small for a dog crate. Anyway, from what I glean, do dogs like to see out of the car? If it is small it might not be able to from the back of a mini seat. So, could either put it on a booster seat or put in front or car?? Have just been given by my ys for my birthday a book on dog training which everyone seems to recommend by Gwen Bailey. All very exciting!!!!

I tried a couple of car harnesses with Tango - a Clix harness first (which she chewed through - and she wasn't a puppy!) and then an Ezydog harness. To be honest, I gave up after a white as she clearly didn't like bring restrained in the harness. She would spin round, get her legs tangled round the straps and all sorts. Several times it looked like she was in danger of breaking a leg. Now I pop her in the boot with a dog guard to stop her jumping over to the back seats. I use a boot liner to keep the boot relatively clean. This works much better for us.

I also used a soft dog crate for on the back seat initially and now use a hatch bag hammock which fixes round the headrests, both dogs fit in OH's estate with a divider but as I don't regularly take both dogs in mine apart from local journeys find the hammock good as its protects the seats and can be moved over to fit a passenger in the back too without them having a dog on their lap as I don't really want to upgrade to a large car.

Quite DM I got a dog guard for my last car when I was returning from the vet and looked in mirror to see my 9 stone St Bernard looking back.Eeek I thought if I brake you are going to break my neck.Def restrained crates,seatbelts or guards.I wonder what safety records are for each.Am sure dog could be killed hitting guard if impact was severe and also in crate perhaps belts are safer???

I think they all have their pros and cons Grandmashazzie, but it's especially important if you have smallsters in the car with you.

If you are getting a dog guard for the boot, do make sure that it is properly secured as opposed to those ones with the 'cups'... i.e screwed in. Just think 'will this hold if my dog is thrown against it?'