Hello,

This morning one of our chickens was attacked by a cat. I heard a very strange noise outside - it sounded like a sea gull but it was so close to the house I knew it must be one of the chickens - and looked out of the bedroom window to see a cat on its haunches with a chicken's wing sticking out from underneath. I've never moved so fast; sprinted down the stairs and outside and saw the cat disappearing over the fence. The chicken had gone too, making me think she'd been taken by the cat, but then I saw her on the other side of the garden looking very dishevelled.

Physically she seems okay, bar some scratches on her back which bled briefly. But she's absolutely not happy, she wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink and just stands very still looking very unhappy. We went home at lunch to see how she is and found her standing exactly where we'd left her. She finally ate some mealworm from my hand which gave me some hope, but she's extremely out of sorts and we're very worried about her.

Our local chicken-friendly vet couldn't see her today, but we're booked in first thing tomorrow. In the meantime is there anything we could or should do to cheer her up?

Thanks, Rob.

She's been traumatised and may have some internal injuries Rob. Just make sure she is drinking. You may need to stand her next to the drinker to do that, if she won't go there herself. Don't worry about food. If she eats on her own that's good news.

Quite unusual is a cat attack. I would have said it was either ferrel with a litter, or you have bantam chickens. Pet cats normally avoid chickens like the plague, because they can turn really nasty in a flock. Even heard of a flock of chickens attack a young fox.

Oh poor little thing. Have you treated her scratches with purple antibac spray as cats carry some very nasty bugs and bites and scratches can easily get infected? (my mum was hospitalised following a cat bite!).

Must admit my three cats were VERY wary of our little bats as those sharp pointy beaky things seemed to be a bit too formidable for them. Imagine it was either a beefy tom or a feral cat with kittens

Happened here a couple of years ago. Saw buff and black rolling on the grass with all the other girls yelling. It was a neighbour's black cat - well known for hunting. I chased her away. Thing was she'd actually gone for the cuckoo maran and thankfully all she lost was feathers on the lower part of her neck and back. She has an abundance of feathers so I think the cat had a mouthful and then the buff Sussex pounced. Do not mess with the buff Sussex! She has been back in the garden since but not touched the girls - and they are well aware when there's a cat and will yell. Strange thing is I had pekins and she didn't touch those - perhaps her eyes were bigger than her belly and then didn't realise what an angry chicken was capable of!

Glad your girl is OK but I think that the vet will give her some anti b's to make sure cat bit/scratches don't go nasty. Hope she's back to her normal self soon.

Hello all,

Thanks for your comments and kind words.

We thought we were losing her yesterday evening. She was so quiet and inactive - not moving, not eating, not drinking, not talking, standing with her eyes closed, etc.

Our usual chicken-friendly vet wasn't available yesterday so we took her to the local late-opening vet, and she was given some anti-inflamatories and antibiotics. She didn't seem any better, but she survived the night (in the luxury of a cosy box in the downstairs toilet) and this morning she seemed a little better, drinking a tiny amount of water and nibbling at some mealworm from my hand. This morning she's been to our usual vet for a thorough check-up, and she's been kept in for a day of R&R and observation. Thankfully the vet thinks she'll be okay once she's got over her fright.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks, Rob.