counturchickens

Pre-diabetes

My OH has been told he has 'pre-diabetes'. He's in his late 50's, he's probably about a stone overweight if you go on the BMI measure, but by no means obese. He had an appointment with the nurse yesterday which by all accounts wasn't much help. She asked him what he typically ate - said it 'all sounded ok' - maybe too much pasta and handed him a photocopied general diet sheet which said carbs should make up a 3rd of your plate at each meal! They didn't weigh him, or suggest that he needed to lose weight so it's all a bit unclear.

I am keen to help with changing whatever we need to, I lost a couple of stones on Slimming World and have kept it off so I know what can be done. I have been trying to research what he should do but there's a lot of conflicting advice. At this stage should be just be trying to lose the excess weight or something else? Does anyone have advice?

Basically this means that while his pancreas is producing insulin (the hormone responsible for lowering blood sugar levels) his body isn't responding to it. High blood sugar levels are dangerous so need to be reduced by other means. This means altering the diet. Sugar and carbs are the main target but also reduce fat intake and an increase in gentle forms of exercise such as walking and swimming will help. In terms of sugar - reduce it (less cakes/sweets put sweetners in tea etc) for carbs go for less and better sources such as wholegrain bread/pasta/rice, swap chips for boiled potatoes. Increase fruit and veg intake. Such simple changes can help the body regulate its self better and prevent the need for diabetic medication.

I can understand reducing carbs, which is why I didn't then understand the diet sheet which said have carbs at every meal. To be fair we do eat lots of fruit & veg, we don't east fried food or takeaways (we have our own veggie garden so send to eat pretty healthily), and don't eat cakes and biscuits. I am planning on changing to wholewheat pasta and bread and try not to rely on carbs so much - I was confused about the advice to eat starchy carbs at each meal rather than having some meals based on protein & veg.

This is also known as metabolic syndrome; insulin resistance and other things.

The notion that people who have this should have much at all in the way of carbs is controversial - and much decried by people who challenge the 'traditional' view

My take is that what's important is to stick to low GI foods and completely avoid any kind of 'sugar rush' as this is what builds up problems.

Once one has the problem under control, then you can,if you want, go back to a more 'normal' diet, but ensure you keep an eye on the numbers

Dr John Briffa (i'm a huge fan) has written about this a lot on his blog - here's a starting point

http://www.drbriffa.com/2009/09/22/high-glycaemic-load-diets-associated-with-insulin-resistance/

The biggest problem with any diabetic diagnosis is that people automatically think they should cut out carbs which really isn't true.

Cut out all processed carbs and switch to wholegrain. So oats or shreddies for breakfast, wholemeal bread, wholegrain basmati rice. Definitely increase veg, watch fruit as it is full of sugar, bananas are good though.

It's all about keeping sugar levels constant so things like fruit juice which gives spikes need to be limited or watered down, whole fruit is better as you get the fibre that goes with it.

Regular meals with a little snack in between, a few almonds or brazil nuts.

Cinnamon is very good at regulating blood sugar levels.

As a diabetic, I can say that there is HUGE contradictions on the advice on what you should/shouldn't eat!!

What I have found works for me is:

* Cut out any sugary drinks - Pepsi, squashes, nice chilled coffees from coffee shops all have a shocking amount of sugar in them

* Severely limit fruit juice - equally very high in sugars. I will "treat" myself to an apple juice mixed with water when I cycle, but that's it.

* avoid all processed food (I've always done that but I know other diabetics that have improved by doing that)

* eat a lot of veg

* eat whole grain carbs and limit what you have. However, I find even brown basmati rice gives me a bit of a blood sugar spike, so I only have rice once or twice a week.

* seriously limit bananas, as they are also high in potassium which uses a lot in insulin to process (insulin has been used as a treatment for potassium poisoning)

* limit fruit! but berries are best. There is increasing evidence to demonstrate that fructose (fruit sugar) is as dangerous as sucrose (sugar)

* don't be scared of natural fats! butter and cream can lower blood sugar levels.

I personally follow a low carb, higher fat diet and my blood glucose readings are outstanding. So, be carb aware, it's amazing how high some things are in carbs. I also really think it is important to exercise a lot. In fact, on days when I cycle to work, I find I have to actually HAVE something sweet and carb heavy to keep my sugars at a decent level!!

Another option would be to get a blood glucose meter and look at the readings. When you wake should be below 6 ideally, before meals should be below 6 and 2 hours after meals should be below 8.5. If you can keep within these parameters then that's great!

Although I try and keep my readings a bit lower than that. I try and stay below 5.5 for the first 2 and below 7.5 for the after meals. If your husband does this (meters are cheap, although the test strips are quite expensive) for a few weeks he could learn what triggers him and what doesn't.

However, know that everyone deserves a treat now and then. If I go out for a meal and I want a dessert, I'll have one, but will only eat half. The important thing is to approach it sensibly. Many people go so strict on themselves that they can't cope and then go completely crazy on cans of coke and chocolate cake!!

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. Good luck to your hubby.

A fasting reading of 7.2 is usually enough to be sent for a glucose tolerance test to find out if it is actually diabetes. Pre-diabetes without further investigation is usually considered between 6 and 6.9.

As you have hens have you considered making your own egg pasta? We make our own... 1 large egg to 100g of OO grade flour. The egg helps the GI. I find I'm great with this, and that amount of pasta is ideal to serve both hubby and I.

There are some good diabetes charities which have forums to ask for advice.

That's actually a very good result then. The second reading being lower shows that insulin is doing it's job! Albeit not quite as well as maybe a "normal" person would!

When I had my glucose tolerance test my first reading was 7.2 my second was 14.something :shock: I actually fainted after my second blood test :oops:

However, I do have a rare type 1.5 diabetes. They know my pancreas is shutting down I'm just trying to eek what remaining life I can out of it :anxious:

I got type 1.5 after a bout of swine flu 5 years ago, as it is triggered by an auto immune response :roll:

They only formally diagnosed me a year ago though! I am on tablets, but know that I will need insulin injections at some point.... Could be 2 years, could be 8 years, "Ooops, word censored!"ody knows!!

So I carb watch, exercise and test my blood sugar levels regularly as I'd rather stay off insulin as long as possible.

Sounds like if your husband takes care he may be OK. I really would recommend getting a testing kit though. I don't give it a second thought now, it doesn't hurt at all and gives you really valuable information :D

This is really interesting and timely, as I was told I have pre-diabetes yesterday. Bit of a shock to the system as I initially went about an eye problem and was found to have dangerously high blood pressure as well, so I am now on pills for that. No resolution for the eye problem though!

I didn't even get a leaflet, just told to exercise and lose weight, so all the recommendations will be very useful. I have already been given two easter eggs, so I take it I will be able to eat a little chocolate at a time, just not overindulge? I admit I am a chocoholic, and don't buy it for myself, so the only time I eat it is when someone gives me chocolate - when I stuff the lot in one go :oops:

That's really poor Jennifer Jane. I've been doing lots of research online and downloaded a book on eating a low g.i. Diet. I think the key is diet and exercise, no white bread or rice, no chips cake etc. Whole wheat pasta, but smaller amounts than most of are used to and lots of veg rather than anything else. Like I say, I did slimming world which I personally found pretty simple, if you followed the 'red' days on that you'd probably be doing it right. As for the Easter eggs, I reckon a small amount per day. Maybe go back to the docs and ask to be referred to a dietician? Good luck

I had a fasting blood test last year and was told I was pre diabetic but that was it, I wasn't told to do anything or not do or do anything?

Previous to this I developed Granuloma annulare I was told by a dermatologist is common in patients who go on to become diabetic it disappeared by itself and is now back again worse than I had it the first time It looks awful and is really getting me down I'm not sure if I should go back and speak to my GP