sadietoo

Prague recommendation

Dd and I have just returned from a weekend in Prague. We went out to see Robbie Williams at the 02 (which was a great show. I'm neither a huge Robbie fan or a lover of live music (it was her chistmas present and I was along as the Bank! ) but the show was so fantastic that I would definitely go and see it again. Anyway I just wanted to recommend our hotel which was this one /http://hoteljewelprague.com/hotel. We chose it primarily because it was very near the metro line we needed to get to the concert and very central and it was very good indeed. I'm not sure about the four star rating but it was quirky with large rooms huge bathroom etc and a good price for the location. The staff were so helpful smiley and pleasant too which I much prefer to the corporate face of a large hotel chain. Unfortunately there is no lift and so it would not suit all as the rooms were accessed by a stone spiral staircase. Luggage was brought up to your room and back down by hotel staff.

It was my first visit to Prague but it certainly won't be my last. I can see why they used it for filming The Musketeers such a pretty city. But the charm comes at a cost. All those cobbled streets and pavements mean my feet are killing me even now and so are the Dd's and we both wore flat comfy boots. Personally I wouldn't attempt Prague again without some sort of shock absorbing insoles !

Finally(and sorry for the essay). If you haven't been before and don't speak Czech we found public transport a bit inaccessible. It's great and there is a lot of it but it's hard to find out how to buy a ticket! The airport express bus into the city costs 60 koruna (about two pound for us) and you can buy the ticket from the driver. For public buses trams and the metro you have to buy the ticket from a machine before you travel And the ones in the Metro we used only take change no notes and no credit cards. That said apart from getting to concert we didn't use the metro again as the city is mostly accessible on foot.

Do agree Sadietoo,we had lovely break there.Anyone going I would recommend the Circle Line restaurant in the centre for reasonably priced great food.It is French though :D When we were waiting to see the famous medieval clock chime the hour and the wooden figures move there was an American couple behind us.after about a 10 min wait the little figures moved and went back into the clock,the American woman turned to her partner and said is that it,' I thought they would do a little dance'! I so wanted to turn and say its not Disney love :roll:

Prague is lovely :D

But...

have you considered Czech Republic's 2nd (or 3rd?) city Brno?

It's even better, there are 2 parts to the city, the Old town is where all the historic stuff is, and its great. the pubs are all underground in the cellars and some of them are soo cheap its crazy, we even found one where you can serve yourself 8)

Definitely worth a look :D

Cathy

x