CatieB

crate training

Can anyone remember what to do or have any tips.

Coco loves her crate and through my rose tinted glasses I seem to remember she took to it well. Yesterday we bought home Scout and every time we put him in he yelps and yelps.....the house down. Poor hubby spent most of the night with him. Do we just ignore him or what should we do?

Thanks

As long as he has done his wees before bed, I would be inclined to ignore him. It is really hard, but he will settle down, he is just missing his mum. Does he have something in there that smells of you and his mum? We did that for Neela when she was a pup. I did have to get up at 5 am as she was wide awake and howling but if she cried in the night I put the pillow over my head. She did have accidents in the night, but this soon stopped once she matured a bit. You can train them to do their business on a toilet training pad, if your crate is big enough, and that way they don't dirty their bed.

Hope that helps, and can't wait to see the photos of him :D My pup is 2 now, and it has gone past so quickly :(

We also crate trained our two spaniels and they both sleep in there every night and when we are out. Yes, it's case of if you know they have been out to the toilet, just ignoring them otherwise they will expect you to come to them if they make a noise. Takes a little while, but if they have a blanket or favourite toy in with them it can help. It does get better though the first couple of settling-in weeks seem to last forever!! :wink:

Yes I too think crates are great,I used heat pad under bedding for warmth and the breeder had given us a fleecy blanket from litter smelling of mum.I also used puppy training pads in crate although I don't think I would do that again as it seemed to train my Schnauser to pee on mats,carpet etc.while sheis 99 %house trained she still will sneaky upstairs and pee,in my daughters room for some reason.Could you put two dogs together to cuddle in?

Did you get them together though or are they related? Coco is two and a half and has pretty much ignored new puppy scout. In fact she is quite standoffish and takes herself away from him.....until scout went near her food this morning.....growl SNAP! he has to learn I guess

Last night was a little better. He cried for half hour or so when we put him in but was quiet from about 11 until 4.

My spaniels go in together, they are different types, the older one is Cavalier King Charles and the younger one a Cocker. I think they were separate to start, but once they were friends they went in together. They often sleep next to each other anyway if they doze :) My Cavalier lets the younger dog get away with all sorts - she won't let him near her bowl, but will guard and growl , whereas he is much more submissive and lets her take anything. I feed them at separate ends of the kitchen so each has their own space to eat. All his toys became hers as well :shock: But he isn't bothered as long as he has a comfy lap to sleep on which she has learned not to invade! Guess it depends on the temperaments of your dogs.....

Yes CatieB I got them around same time,my sister has 3 yr boxer and new boxer pup and she put older ones bedding in and left door open during day.He went in to sleep during day and pup crept closer and closer until they were together.After couple days they just go in at night and door is shut.

We use a crate for Daisy and from what I understand they shouldn't be too big, just big enough for them to stand up in and turn around. I've never put a puppy pad in ours as it does tend to encourage them to pee in their crates and I think the whole point is that dogs don't like to mess where they sleep so maybe it can confuse them.

I'm not sure I would put 2 dogs together in a crate unless they are bonded as one of the things about the crate is that it's their safe place and unless they get on well with each other I guess they may not see it as a safe place.

It is very hard to ignore a puppy that is crying, but honestly it does get better. We were lucky with Daisy as she was already crate trained when we got her, so it was never a problem. Our last dog was a labrador and back in those days most people here didn't use crates so she had a bed in the kitchen. However she still cried and we made the mistake of feeling so bad we brought her up onto our bed and she spent the whole of her life sleeping in and on our bed :lol:

We used a crate from day one with Lara. The door is open into a small penned area with her water bowl. When she was little I put a box in the back of the crate to reduce the size available. She cried the first night but we ignored it and she didn't do it again (apart from about a year ago and I knew she had a tummy problem and needed to go out). I think we were really lucky with her though. I did not use puppy pads anywhere but regularly took her outside. She is a really smart girl and now rings her Poochie Bell, which hangs on the back door, with her nose when she wants out.

We have made progress. He still howls when we put him in it, especially during the day. But last night he was quiet from about half ten until 6! Think that's really good for someone so young.

Getting him toilet trained in another thing LOL. He thinks that outside is for fun and frolics around and plays. We then bring him in and he goes on the kitchen floor!! I know we will get there though.

Our other dog Coco has gone from being disinterested in him to showing a bit of dislike. She regularly moves away from him and has growled at him a couple of times. Do we just leave them to it or is there any way to nip it in the bud. We are making lots of fuss of her, treating her separately and keeping to her routine. So for example usually she comes and sits on my lap in the lounge every night without fail, now she takes herself away even if I place her on my lap :(

When we put Lara in her crate we always give her a tiny treat to make her think it is a great place to be. That may help reduce the howling :? I do not have two dogs but if your older dog is given a treat when she is with your puppy she may then associate good behaviour with puppy meaning nice rewards. Do you use clicker training? If so you could reinforce good behaviour around puppy by that method. I love clicker training :D

Getting him toilet trained in another thing LOL. He thinks that outside is for fun and frolics around and plays. We then bring him in and he goes on the kitchen floor!! I know we will get there though.

Ahh I remember that. I then read you should take them out on a lead to do their business and use a command word (ours was "do wees!" which was started by the breeder) and then once they are done, then bring them back in. Seems cruel, but that way they learn that they are outside for a reason. Once they get it, the accidents indoors stop and then you can stop having to put them on a lead every time. It worked for us with Neela so I hope it will help you.

As for your older dog growling at the pup, I would be inclined to keep an eye but I think your dog is just telling the pup enough! and letting it know who is top dog. I think for the time being, don't push them into sharing a crate. As has been said already, their crate/bed is their safe haven. I am sure in time, they will grow close, it's just at the beginning it can all seem a long way off from the peace and harmony you envisioned.

We use a crate for Daisy and from what I understand they shouldn't be too big, just big enough for them to stand up in and turn around. I've never put a puppy pad in ours as it does tend to encourage them to pee in their crates and I think the whole point is that dogs don't like to mess where they sleep so maybe it can confuse them.

That's interesting. I had read you should have one where they can have separate eating and sleeping areas. The reason for using the pad was so they didn't mess their bed, as they associated the pad with toileting, which then you could move away from their bed gradually until it was outside. Our crate is a medium one and wasn't big enough to put this into action. She did however wet her bed pretty much every night :roll: so I don't think she knows about this trait :lol: Eventually as she matured and stopped with the accidents *phew*

Sorry, no idea about crate training as I have never used one, but the theory behind not using puppy pads is that you are effectively telling pup that it's okay to toilet indoors, when that's exactly what you don't want them to do!

Although it's a pain in the bum to have to get up in the night with a pup, taking them outside every time to toilet teaches them that the garden is the toilet area, not the garden sometimes and the puppy pad sometimes, so it's more consistent for them.

I also agree about trying to make the garden totally boring until toilet training is established. And unfortunately that can also mean standing outside for aaaaaaages until pup toilets so that they don't play around outside and them come inside and suddenly remember they need a wee!

Toilet training is very tedious, and can be very frustrating, but at least it tends to be established fairly quickly!

I agree with L_B; my Ruby was crate trained as a pup; the crate was in my room with a blanket over it for the first couple of nights, then I moved it along the landing, then downstairs into the kitchen as soon as she could go through the night without a piddle. I have never used piddle pads for the reasons L_B used.

A crate is a great safe haven for a puppy when it gets overwhelmed with the new house, or visiting children. I would also restrict the area they are able to use until they are house trained.