Hi everyone. I posted a while back about getting some hens and was given some great advice and anecdotes so thankyou. I am in the process of trying to find a suitable second hand coop and hopefully a largish WIR (husband wants to build one but not sure I can wait that long :roll: ) Anyway, the area of the garden that would probably be best to base it on is concrete. The hens would be able to come out into a penned off part of the garden for periods of time when I am home, for five out of seven days. Would this be ok with the floor being concrete for them to stay in at other times? It would be all day on my two work days. Obviously we would put something else down, I was thinking wood chips or the aubiose stuff. If so, how deep should this be and how often should it be changed?

My next run will likely have a purpose built concrete base, currently mine is on slabs. Plenty of zoos have concrete bases in the animal houses presumably because it is easy to hose down.

I would say go for it, chicken ankle deep with the woodchip maybe? Do have a lip or "skirting board" in the run or you will be forever sweeping woodchip up from around the run.

I'd say concrete will be fine but you will certainly need a deep retaining border around the edges to contain the wood chip or whatever you put down for them to scratch in and spray around. I like the idea someone posted about recently some time ago of filling some shallow trays with rolls of turf cut up to fit and then rotating these so the chooks can have something green to nibble/scratch at until they've destroyed it (as they would your lawn!) and then putting in a fresh tray to start on again. That might make it nicer for them. Our 3 girls are on bare earth when in their WIR (but free-range most of the day) and they dig for England (well, actually heading more for Australia I think!)

the concrete will be fine many on here put WIRs on concrete or slabs mainly for the easy clean out but also fore security to stop anything burrowing underneath but my tip is if you want extra depth for aubiose/wood chip for the run is to lift the run off the floor by building a breeze block plinth for it to sit on this also stops any rain water from seeping in between the floor and the base of the run this can only be done if it is a wooden run

DSCF8292-1.jpg

my run sits on the blocks

DSCF8298.jpg

sorry for the big photo its the way only you can see it any way good luck in what you choose

Hi - yes mine is on concrete slabs and I think it's the best base ever! We had a rat problem when the run was on the grass - yuk! They dug under the run. I use horse bedding - either he core, aubiose or easibed whichever is the cheapest that month really.

I would second the use of a skirt around the bottom to keep in the bedding in - I use thin pieces of Perspex held on with cable ties - so that can still see them in their scratching about!

Hope this helps.

Chickabee if you are looking for Perspex Google trentplastics you will find that many people on here have purchased from them for the border you will only need 2mm thickness you will just have decide on the lengths and widths give them a ring and ask for a quote they might even pre drill it for you if you explain what it is for just ask ANH for an opinion of them