Snowy

Pics of Runner Ducks

6 ish weeks old now. Cuthbert (the one with the dark beak) is definitely a 'she' - when I picked her up tonight she let out the loudest quack, she even made herself jump! :lol:

Dibble (brown with yellow beak) and Grub (yellow) are still cheeping. I am hoping one of them is a girl, but they are still a bit smaller than Cuthbert, so either they are later developers or they are both drakes.

IMG_3932_zps54ef86a5.jpg

They have suddenly sprouted some proper feathers on their wings and bums!

IMG_3939_zps54c626a4.jpg

They love their water - they are still quite nervous of me, but even I can't scare them out of their water, they go berserk, splashing and washing and dabbling, they are so comical! Throw some salad leaves in for them and they go bananas!

IMG_3948_zps63c1ec72.jpg

IMG_3947_zps3169b0b8.jpg

They really do dirty the water very quickly. I filled this tray up for them this evening and by the time I put them to bed, it was murky and brown again! But this set up seems manageable - I just tip the water onto the tree roots and refill.

IMG_3934_zps2ecc73c4.jpg

Candy loves to stare at them, but they totally ignore her.

IMG_3935_zps9e953e05.jpg

IMG_3941_zpsbb3b1229.jpg

IMG_3943_zps68b31fa3.jpg

They are very entertaining!

Hi its about now you can start to listen to their voices but I always leave mine until 8 weeks for deffo the boys will be cheepy and raspy its hard to explain if you've not had them before and the girls will start to quack hopefully you wont have 2 boys or you will need some more girls by next spring or she will get to much attention from both as I find indian runner Drakes are very sex mad :lol: fingers crossed leanne :)

Yes I think they are going through a real period of change right now - more feathers appearing by the day, and I'm sure I heard another voice break this evening! Would be lovely to get the perfect combo of boys and girls right away :D

Chrissie they are separate from the chooks at the moment - but I will be splitting the chicken pen and putting them in one half, and adding an extra door so they will have access to the pond! Can't wait to let them have a proper swim 8)

Chrissie they are separate from the chooks at the moment - but I will be splitting the chicken pen and putting them in one half, and adding an extra door so they will have access to the pond! Can't wait to let them have a proper swim 8)

They are very sweet. When I hatched some chicks I was amazed at how quickly they changed and grew feathers, little ducklings must be the same. It sounds very exciting having a proper swim in the pond. We will need photos or video of that :lol: Please :D

Chrissie