sparkysmum

Any librarians out there???

Hi, I retrained as a nursery nurse/ECE/ classroom assistant when I needed to work hours that fitted in with the school day. However I'm not totally married to the job (not at all in fact) and would love to pursue something else which I would be happy to do until I retire. So I have been thinking about library assistant type jobs which come up from time to time around here. I would like to do some qualifications which might get me an interview but have no clue where to start. So my dear friends, is anyone out there a librarian/assistant librarian ? If there is :pray: please could you point me in the right direction? Would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance. Axx

I don't think you need any special quals above 5 'O' levels to be a library assistant - a friend of mine did it (fully qualified nursing Sister) whilst bringing up her child as it suited her needs at the time. However, to be an assistant librarian or higher than I think you need a degree, you certainly do now to be a librarian. I know from my friend that you need a) stamina (being on your feet all day) b) boundless patience c) friendly and approachable nature d) deep interest in books/other media and a wide range of subjects and ideally your local area if its a public library e) willingness to help f) an eye for detail

And the ability to say 'SSsssshhhhhhh' really loudly!

Chap went to the library, walked up to the librarian and said - very loudly - ' a pint of beer and a packet of crisps please'. The librarian looked stunned and said 'sorry this is a library'. The chap looked embarrassed then said - whispering - sorry, pint of beer and a packet of crisps please'.

Sorry about that but its my all time fave joke and I simply couldn't resist! Would have worked better if I knew how to make the font smaller :oops:

On a more serious note, have you thought of going into your local library and having a chat with whoever is on duty? Librarians are unfailingly helpful and I am sure would be happy to give you a clearer idea of what is required!

I asked about this the other day as I had a meeting with the head of libraries at the local council. She said the actual librarian posts are becoming fewer and fewer as libraries are closing. Those that are staying open tend to be in the city centres and are being merged with town hall services such as meet and greet and receptionists. The roles are much more varied now with, as Daphne said, more being on your feet, helping members of the public with enquiries, very little sitting behind reception desks. All the book letting is computerised as well. It sounds like a great job still, but it has changed a lot recently.