cloud

Forced cohabitation

We've just put all our hens in together for the first time. The two young one were in Eglu and the two 3-year olds in the bigger wooden coop with a run attached. We used Eglu netting to corral them in to one half the garden with big coop and moved the Eglu out the way. This is the first week we seen them all getting on well together and looking like a single flock - it's only taken 8 weeks! Then we crossed our fingers.

Amazingly they all went in to the run at about the same time, although the new girls were the last in and did pace up and down for a while. By now it was way past their bedtime as the youngster usually go to be hour before the oldies. The oldies went up to bed first, followed not that far behind by on of the new girls. Lots of booking, followed, but no flapping and it settled down fairly fast.

One more to go. But she was having none of it. She paced back and forth and squawking loudly. We tried the torch trick but it didn't help. By now it was dark. I don't know what the problem was. I wonder if she just din't like the steps, or perhaps it was because she'd just lost her bed friend. Whatever it was she was was making sure the rest of the world new about it.

Eventually, after about half an hour, we grabbed her and popped her in with the other. Barely a bok. She settle down almost immediately. I think the other were asleep (despite the squawking outside).

So, up early tomorrow to let them out before anything ugly kicks off.

And meanwhile the Eglu (after a good scrub) now has two newbies, who went to bed in their new home without any fuss or bother. #morehens

Lovely story. What are your newbies? Were the girls all happy this morning :)

Yes, mostly. No fighting in the coop or anything, but the young girls - one is a Welsummer (Goose) and the other is a Vorwerk (Mimi). Unfortunately Cocoa (Hybrid with lots of Cuckoo Maran genes) chases the the young girls from time to time. We're hopping shell settle down in while.

The newbies are a pair of Cream Legbars - they doing everything together, so they already have the nicknames of Thing One and Thing Two

onethingtwothing.jpg

Almost managed it. Everyone in bed except Mimi who wanted to roost in the lilac tree. She studied it from every angle, walked round it at least three time, even tried launching herself vertically in to its branches - I'm sure she managed nearly 6 foot - and, having found no way up, squawks loudly from on top of the coop.

Eventually with just a little encouragement from us, she walks in to the run and goes straight to bed.

She's turning out to be a right Diva.

Here is Goose and Mimi from a few weeks ago

new-hens.jpg

Edited by Guest

I've got a welsummer

How skittish is your Welsummer, Chickabee. Ours is very nervy. She does eat from my hand but it's more of grab and run.

She and Mimi are best of friend though, so Mimi being a little braver seems to encourage Goose to be braver too.

She's very calm with the other chickens, but if I pick her up she screams like I'm trying to kill her :D

Our Welsummer goes very quite and placid when we pick her up, but the only time we can catch her is when she's half asleep in the coop, so that might help. Around the the oldies she's quite nervy but does manage to snatch the odd morsel or tid bit from under their noses (although nine times out of ten then drops it in her eagerness to get away). She's often seen running round the garden, or getting in to trouble with best-of-friends Mimi. So I wouldn't describe her as 'calm'. Just shows how different hens can be.

I've just realised your CLB have the same names as my 2 bantams had when I first got them. Have you had this breed before, now they are skittish, they never seem to grow out of it :)

Goose, the Wesommer, got her name because she hoots like a goose, and the name sort of stuck. We do intend to think of better names for Thing One and Thing Two, but until then the names do seem to be rather apt. I have one of the CLB eating from my hand. The other is a fraction more shy.

Never had CBLs before nor Welsummer nor Vorwerk, so all new to us. I rather like how Goose has a distinct personality. It will be interesting to see how it evolves. Although I'm sure you're right, I don't think we'll get the skittishness out of her now.

Third night and they all went to bed without incident. Just as it should be.

I'm very jealous of your little flock :mrgreen: Vorwerks and CLBs are both on my wish list. Lovely pics. Hope they're all getting on ok.

That gives me a warm feeling inside 8) They all seems to be getting on well today, thank you. Although Coco is still chasing the young ones away when there's food involved.