gavclojak

Dog walker dilemma

Gosh I am having a dilemma. I had a dog walker/boarder for my two dogs fo several years, unfortunately my little dog was attacked by a rottie then a few months later my dog was lost on a walk (we found him) my dog walker and I parted ways that day, it was her decision, she said she lost confidence walking my dogs but carried on with her business. I text her and said I was sad it had ended like that but I didn't blame her, it could have happened with anyone!

I found another walker (that was a trauma in itself) she has been walking my boys for a year, for the last four weeks she has text at the last minute and said she was unable to do it but her 21 year old son could. I really didn't have a choice as I had to work and the dogs needed a pee!! Here comes the dilemma! I bumped into my old dog walker who said she regretted what had happened and she really missed the boys...blah...blah...blah...

Given the fact my new walker has been so unreliable recently I am in a quandary!! I think my new walker wants to give her son the job as he hasn't got a job, I would rather she just said rather than coming up with a million excuses but my boys are sensitive little chaps and I don't want another stranger walking them!!!

Apart from what happened, my first walker never once let me down, she was reliable and the dogs really liked her...what to do. I only use them once/twice a week maximum and dog walkers in this area are like hens teeth!!!! And so expensive...£15.00 per hour

I have to say, I think from reading your post, your gut feeling is to go back to your first dog walker? I wouldn't be happy with choosing a particular person to walk the dogs then to find at the last minute someone else was going to walk them - that's not fair, it's almost holding you to ransom. I'd go with your gut instinct - if that's to go back to your original dog walker, do it?

Wishing you luck with your choice - I wish I was closer or I'd walk them for you when available!!! I dream of jacking in my job and setting up a pet sitting/dog walking service!

You right bramble my heart says go back. OH isn't happy but as it isn't him who will be looking for a dog walker if she continues to let me down he can't really say too much.

The excuses so far are, hospital appointment, fair enough, mum hospital appointment again fair enough, covering for sickeness, inset day, school meetings and rain, she didn't want to get her hair wet for a presentation later that afternoon.

I would love to dog walk and if I lost my job that's what I would do. I just totted it up and she walks about 4/5 dogs per walk and does am minimum of 3 walks per day 5 days a week and boards. She charges £15 per hour so by my reckoning that's an average of £225 per day for three hours work...that's £1125 per week...phew

I have to say she is good at what she does and good dog walkers are like hens teeth around here. Thank god I only need her 1/2 days per week :roll:

A dog walker who doesn't want to walk in the rain!!!!???? :shock:

I know right!!! To be fair, she works in a school in the morning and walks my dogs on the way home from work, when she started walking my boys she was going to try to expand it as a business but it didn't seem to go any further, she is a very sweet woman and I feel a right b***h but unfortunately I have to work and I need someone reliable.

Why not give the original one a trial run (as it were), just to make sure you are both really happy resuming the arrangement and confident it will be good for you both? You don't need to tell your current walker anything unless and until you are certain you want to swap and then I would say be honest with her as to what the issues are.

Wish you lived nearer - I love walking dogs (even in the rain!) and would do it for a lot less cash :D

I'm sorry but the first walker stopped being reliable the day she lost your dog

Walking dogs is not rocket science and even the trickiest of sensitive dogs loves a good walk regardless of who is at the other end of the lead/ Me personally? I would meet properly with the second walker and her son and say that as the son doesnt have the experience you are happy for him to walk the dogs but at a lesser cost and he must make an effort to interact with the dogs and gain their friendship a bit, if the mother walks the dogs then pay full price

If that fails then you have the first to fall back on but remember you left her for a reason