Mars

No-Crow Rooster Collar

Today I heard my young white leghorn rooster crowing for the first time, "according to the seller he should be 6 months old now". trying to guess his age I googled "rooster crowing age" and I found a site selling device called "No-Crow Rooster Collar". I have no problem with rooster crowing as I live in a rural area. but I wonder if anyone used this collar or anyone is interested in trying it.

I've seen a device designed to reduce the volume of their crowing Mars. Basically a velcro collar which is adjusted to limit throat expansion, whilst still allowing room to swallow. Don't like the idea of it myself as I can't see a cockerel being able to swallow normally with it on. They certainly won't like wearing one anyway. I can see a lot of damaged feathers and some appreciable discomfort.

So I'm basically agreeing with Redwing and Egluntyne.

If it is uncomfortable for the rooster it shouldn't be used. but if it is just preventing normal behaviour that shouldn't be a problem, we prevent normal behaviour of animals all the time, we cage broody hens, we spay and neuter animals. we prevent them from having sexual life. "I don't have cats or dogs or broody cage".

I had a lovely conversation with a lady NOT :lol: who makes and sells these collars in the uk she was asking for all comments so I gave her one which wasn't rude but she got very defensive and personnel in her attack I haven't heard of her in ages so I think this project went down the pan as beantree has said I have seen people who are making them out of Velcro strips if the bird still crows they tighten it :( .A cockerel is suppose to crow like a dog is suppose to bark leanne :)

At least you can train a dog to not bark constantly (although my nextdoor neighbours have failed to do so...)

A rooster will be a challenge!

If you don't want your rooster to crow, then don't get a rooster. I'm not even allowed a rooster according to the council, crowing or not.

They don't appear to be available in the UK at present. If you like, you can add a bow tie accessory to it. :roll:

The only advantage I can see is that it may stop people trying to rehome cockerels via the forum. :lol:

there's at least one web site that lists the UK as a shipping destination for them. they've got to be bordering on cruel at the very least

as a keeper of Cockerels in an urban garden there's no way I'd fit the things even if my 3 would stand still long enough to fit them

I just found the device and I thought someone may find it useful. when it comes to noise I am totally outnumbered by my closest neighbor's three dogs and 2 roosters. I feel my rooster is not making enough noise. anyway. I have two young Buff Orpington cockerels who aren't crowing yet.

What I can't understand is why someone would consider having a cockerel when their circumstances dictate that it's not prudent. I 'could' keep one here, but I doubt that my neighbours would be impressed - I have already had to catch and rehome one that some clever dick let loose :roll: - my flock doesn't need one, and it's not wise, so why dwell on it?

BTW, you can have a cock neutered (removal of testes) to stop it crowing and performing, but why on earth would you want to?

Just for the record 'caponising' was originally removal of the testes by surgery so that the cockerels grew large and tender for the table. Problem was that it was done without anaesthetic to birds about 8 weeks old, because that was the highest survival rate at about 75%. I suppose the survival rate depended on the skill of the operator though. The testes are located up inside between the wings so it is a massive operation. I have an old poultry book (1947 Complete Poultry Keeper and Farmer Handbook) which details the process. Barbaric is an understatement!

Just for the record 'caponising' was originally removal of the testes by surgery so that the cockerels grew large and tender for the table. Problem was that it was done without anaesthetic to birds about 8 weeks old, because that was the highest survival rate at about 75%. I suppose the survival rate depended on the skill of the operator though. The testes are located up inside between the wings so it is a massive operation. I have an old poultry book (1947 Complete Poultry Keeper and Farmer Handbook) which details the process. Barbaric is an understatement!

Beantree that was my understanding of the process to I thought I'd seen an old grainy black and white photo of a bird strapped to 'table' having this procedure done and I think the photo dated to the early 50's it was part of an article but I can't remember were it was