SallymaySteven

An unexpected chicken Maggie

Hi

Sorry this is going to be a long one. I'm need some help please. A chicken suddenly appeared in my neighbours garden a few weeks ago. At first I thought he got a chicken no big deal but strange. Then we realised that he had no idea that this chicken was in his garden. We think it got in through a broken fence panel and couldn't get out. So mission save the chicken took place. We waited till he went out (he's a weird old guy that is a total slob and collects things. Got the chicken and set her up in our empty shed with a run outside. Got her a feeder and a water thing. Put some food down she was starving. Talked to neighbour it wasn't his. Asked round and no one came forward. So we've decided to keep her. We have since ordered her a coop which should be delivered soon.

So what I am hoping is you can tell me what else I need to do? I've sent a picture of her to a breeder and he says she's a warren? We call her Maggie. There hasn't been any eggs at all. Do I need to get her checked out? She looks good alittle skinny but her feathers are all clean and fluffy. Her feet look fine too. If I'm doing something wrong please tell me. No experience with chickens at all. Got a book but advise from an experienced person would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Maggie. She may have escaped from a local poultry farm or a local poultry keeper. Unlikely you will find the original home as the owner will assume a fox got her or has so many one won't be missed.

She sounds in good health. Just keep her fed (layers pellets) and watered for now. Perhaps think about worming her soon because that may be why she is thin. I suggest Marriages premixed with Flubenvet in the 10Kg bag is easiest. Unfortunately that will result in 9 Kg wasted because she will only eat 1 Kg and then the bag will go past its use by date. The alternative is to use the 1% Flubenvet powder, but it is a bit fiddly.

Hi and welcome to the forum! As Beantree says, just keep on with the food, water and shelter - it sounds like you've already got a good idea what to do. This time of year they moult and drop their feathers; it takes a lot of energy and they stop/slow laying so maybe that's why there's been no eggs yet.... or you could have a cockerel :shock:

Chickens are also flock animals so consider getting her a couple of friends soon. If you want to post your general location I'm sure nearby Omleteers will be able to offer advice on where to get food/new birds/general help etc.

Are you sure Maggie is a 'Maggie and not a 'Michael'

I guess you would have heard her crow by now but I have seen this abandonment before in cockerals....if its a little lady she will need a friend or two;)

edit

haha paula and I obviously replied at the same time and had the same thoughts :doh:

This is what's known as a 'chicken of fate'! :lol: It sounds as if she is in good form, if she is eating and drinking and looking active then there's not much wrong. Laying birds are often quite skinny - they are not bred to put on weight like 'meat' chickens, so she may not be as underweight as you think.

She will really need some companions though, as hens are happier in a flock, even just a flock of two.

Unfortunately, as noted above, she could be a 'he' and have been abandoned for that reason, or she could be past her laying years. On the other hand a friend of mine acquired a chicken in very similar circumstances (it wandered down the drive of the garden where he was working) and she laid regularly for two years.

Hahhahah! Sorry but this is exactly what happened to us more or less! :lol:

Last November, about this time, we were walking the pooch in the fields and hubs spotted what he thought was a pheasant in a ditch by the side of the road. Turned out to be a Pekin. Very rural area, only house near this spot was a long way away, so we finished the walk and she was still there. I'm a sucker for anything in perceived distress so I picked her up, wet, bedraggled and a few tail feathers missing and we took the long walk to the nearest house and asked if she was theirs. Answer was no.

Chicken comes home, I feed her whilst deciding what to do ... you know where this is going. ...

After deliberating for a couple of days and looking at Eglu's on the internet (secretly I thought!) I realised I couldn't let her go as she was clearly destined to be with us! I begged hubs to let me keep her as we'd always wanted chickens but never really thought it possible and the next thing a Go was on order, Milly (as we named her) was holed up in the shed in the meantime with the door rigged with chicken wire so she could have air and a view and with the arrival of the Go 3 days later so joined another 2 Pekins at point of lay, Lilly and Tilly. The Go was traded very shortly after (about 5 weeks in total!) for a Cube and another 2 Pekin bandits, Dolly and Ruby, arrived in January to complete the clutch of 5 ... there's no going back now and I maintain it was fate! Good luck :clap:

(cube green)GNR(white chicken)PPGNR(Bluebelle)

Maggie update

Firstly a big Thank you for all the help and information.

Maggie has settled in nicely and is in love with her feeder lol. Got her some worming stuff and so vitiams stuff that goes in her water. I think who ever had her before was a women as she seems to love me more then my hubby. She talks alot (well makes noises) when im about and runs out if shed when i call her name. She also takes food out on my hand. Is this normal? Maggie also likes to be stroked before bed. She lays there while i stroke her back then stretchs and goes to her bed. Its very funny. She tells me off if i forget lol.

The coop was suppose to be delivered in friday but the delivery company forgot to put it on the van. So hopefully it will come today. We are goung for maggies friend this week and have been trying to come up with a name. Still have no idea.

Any ideas?

Sallu

This is such a lovely story! What a lucky hen! And it seems you've fallen hook, line & sinker for her. They are just the best pets!! I have great chats with my two every morning.

Now, with regards to their names...

I never knew my Grandmas; both had passed away long befor I was born.

But one was called Maggie.

The other was Annie.

xxx