Littlebitoginger

Fiery redhead!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm sorry but I have a question that's probably been asked before.

I only started keeping chickens around June last year (3 hybrids - light Sussex, speckledy, Rhode Island).

I picked up two more on Tuesday and have split the run/coop in two and all have access to sectioned bits of the garden. Yesterday and this morning I let the Sussex and speckledy mix with the new two and there was hardly any upset. A bit of very minor pecking. I felt quite positive as I had started to wonder if I should be upsetting the status quo.

Then I let Ginger in for a short time. She was evil! At one point she pounced on my Bluebell, pinned it to the floor and pecked its neck pulling a few feathers out. I'm a bit surprised as I wouldn't say she was the top bird out of the three and is the smallest.

I guess my questions are, are red chickens known for being more aggressive and what else am I doing wrong? Is it too soon to mix them together? How will I know when's a good time? How much aggression is too much. It's horrible to watch isn't it??

It's hard to picture everything will ever be peaceful at the moment and I'm wondering if I shouldn't have been greedy and just stuck with my three happy hens :cry:

Thanks for any replies

Jo

It's possible she is the bottom chook of your original trio, and she's determined not to stay at the bottom now there's new ones to smack down!

I would suggest that maybe it's a bit early for intros. Let them live next to each other for a while longer and give the new ones time to settle in a bit more.

It could be that you have rushed the introductions. I personally would have kept them apart for a week or two so they can see each other but are out of harms way. Then let them freerange together for just a few minutes.

Do they have enought room and distractions?

I don't think red hens are more aggressive and she may have just picked on what she see's as the weakest hen.

Edit

Haha we're on the same page Paula and posted at the same time!!!

Thank you for the replies :)

Have taken note and must learn to be more patient. Everyone is out in the garden at the mo, with the new girls in a smaller fenced off bit. They are constantly trying to get to the other three though. Gluttons for punishment or a case of grass is always greener?

Jumping forward a week or so, have people had the most success mixing them in the coop at night? Do I then still split them up during the day?

Sorry if this is frustrating questions as this must have been asked a thousand times.

It's a perennial problem so don't worry about asking questions!

I usually keep my newbies completely apart for a few weeks at least. There's always the danger if you put them together at night that the newbies will get pecked and won't be able to escape. Putting them together under supervision for short periods during the day is better, in my experience, because they can escape and you can distract the bullies (a water pistol is ideal :twisted: ).

Buff Sussex girls are the most ratbaggy. It isn't just me that's noticed, sad that the happy Light Sussex temper hasn't been passed to them!

Edited to add that my cuckoo maran was the evil monster when we introduced 2 newbies. She was bottom and determined to be higher up the chain. At the moment there doesn't seem to be any pecking order apart from my pekin now reduced from 2nd in command to floating around. The newbies are bossy to her but she will still boss the cuckoo around. She and the buff go around a lot though. She hides behind the buff for protection sometimes. Poor little thing - her pekin companions have now gone. But even then she hung around with our Queen bee orpington - it was like Little and Large! :lol:

I would just ask away, lots of these threads start off about one thing then go off on a tangent and become a totally different thread.....they kind of move organically from one subject to another....just read the thread 'where are you beantree?' and you will catch my drift :lol:

Digressing is normal on here! :lol: So yes, fire away with your question, it doesn't matter if it's repeated, "Ooops, word censored!"ody minds and sometimes you will bring up a subject that was going to be on the tip of the tongue or fingertips of someone else and so will still be of help.

Morning everyone,

Thanks again for the replies.

I think progress is being made. The three existing girls and two new ones have been free ranging in the garden everyday together for longer periods. There is still a "them and us" situation but the severity of the telling offs are reducing. The new girls just seem to keep out the way.

How and when do I deal with the next step please of putting them in the same coop at night? I don't think they would fair well if they don't have room to run and escape even though their run is 80' square.

I'm thinking pop them in at night when everyone is sleepy and get up at the crack of dawn to open the run door to the garden so they have room to escape?

Please feel free to say "not yet" or any other suggestions.

I'm also trying to deal with a rat :( Poison is out of the question as I have dogs and we have owls etc about. I've got an electric rat trap I'm hoping to try (saw that suggestion on here) or I may try the Eradibait, again suggested on here.

It can't get in the run as I've chicken wired the floor, but I have the awful feeling it's burrowed underneath that and is living there.

I would personally keep them apart a little longer, until they are happy free ranging together and they take are taking no notice of each other at all but I appreciate space maybe the limiting factor so if that's the case I would maybe try and see how it goes, if it goes badly then you can revert to the starting plan....just make sure your up early :lol:

As for the rat. it you can see a tunnel then get a hose down there quick smart!! I had a problem with one a few weeks ago and blocked it's point of egress....not seen him since but i'm sure he is waiting for an opportunity....dirty little...... :evil:

Oh yes there are tunnels! I keep joking it should get a job with Eurotunnel!

I'm assuming you mean flood it out? Every time I block a hole, it digs round it or digs a new tunnel. I swear I will go in the garden one day and vanish into a sink hole :?:shock:

Thanks for the chicken comment. I will keep letting them FR for a while longer then and watch to see how they are doing .