gavclojak

Lurcher owners are the new hipsters

What a lovely idea - I've never thought of them as fashion accessories... more as supreme hunters and lazy, thieving tykes :lol:

I used to foster rescues, and would do so again if I had more time; they have always been my type of dog... fit for purpose, loyal, loving and very norty! As a lurcher friend says, they are a way of life, not a fashion accessory.

Here's a photo of my two (in the front) in the boot of my car with their best friends, Lupin and Teasel, off on a 'working expedition'

20141203_152030_zpslqoafrk0.jpg

This is my favourite photo of my old boy Cyrus; a rescue from Ireland, about 10 or 11 years old. He came to us at least 1.5kg underweight, stinking and with gum disease and black teeth... we managed to save most of his teefs, and he now loves lazing in the sun, and running full pelt after my other dog, Ruby. He repays our care with the most unstinting love and devotion.

cyrusspring_zpsfd25058b.jpg

LLB on this forum owns and trains gundogs, and her observation on the difference between them and hounds was interesting; she says that labradors are always looking to please their owner, whereas hounds are more autonomous... they largely do their own thing, and get you to thinking that it's what you wanted them to do all along! :lol::lol::lol:

Hey, sorry to hijack the thread,

How are your lurchers around you chooks dm?

I have a beagle, and he modtly ignores them, unless the do a particularly tasty poo... But my friend's lurcher, who i have 3day a week when shes at work, i going bonkers! The second she hears the cheeping (the girls are11weeks old) it's like short circuit in her brain. Ladt wed she chewed through a lead to get to them, the next day she chewed 2 of the hook of the cover tarp... I'm at my wits end. And advice?

I always counsel folks to be very wary of their dogs around chickens, regardless of how well trains/stock trained they are. This is especially true of lurchers, which are hunters, and are hardwired to respond to flapping, squeaking, or anything which looks or sounds like prey.

Mine are workers, but are trained not to chase pheasants... To keep the local game keeper happy, but I never let them out in the garden when the birds are free ranging. It's a simple precaution, and I wouldn't want to put them in a position of failure if their instinct kicked in and they went for one of them. Please, also, don't let the dog run up and down the run; birds are easily frightened.

Even though mine are stock trained to a certain extent, and will ride out with my friend's horses, I always keep them on lead around any other livestock.