HennyPenny59

Should I get more? (Piccy just added)

Hi everyone, being relatively chicken problem free, I havn't posted on here for absolutely ages, but I do check in at least once a week to see what everybody is up to :D

Anyway, a problem has just arisen that I would really like some advice on.

We lost the last of our original four at the weekend :( which had left Rosie (who we integrated last year) on her own.

Yesterday we popped over to our local supplier and purchased one chicken, a beautiful Gold Speckled we've named Buttons.

When we got home we popped her into the coop, left the door open and observed. It was apparent right from the start that Rosie (who has always been very docile) was not going to accept this newcomer as easy as I thought she would, and when Buttons decided to come out of the coop and have a little explore, Rosie pounced and she really meant business.

Buttons jumped onto the table that covers their dust bath, and there Rosie held her prisoner. After quite a while Buttons was still up there, and night time was coming, so I decided to put her in the coop.

Rosie eventually joined her in the coop, but sat in the furthest corner away from Buttons ... I put the Wildlife Cam in there, shut the door and decided to leave them.

In the morning, when I opened the coop, Rosie jumped out, but Buttons stayed inside .. I checked the contents of the camera card and there wasn't any activity on there, and they both obviously had a peaceful night.

So far, Rosie is more relaxed today and isn't making all the awful alarm calls and growling noises that she was yesterday, but upon saying that Buttons hasn't come out yet (ive left food and water in there for her).

Anyway, this is the question .... Do you think I made a mistake in getting just one Hen? Im contemplating popping over to the supplier this afternoon where I got Buttons from and getting another one from the same Barn .. What do you think?

Edited by Guest

I probably would have got 2 newbies. Because if you lose one you are back to a lone hen.Can you segregate your two a bit more for now until they get used to each other. I have just got 2 newbies and have divided the run so they can see but not touch. I let them FR yesterday after 4 days and there was a bit of agro,still apart in run.If you can divide your run I would get new one for Buttons and introduce slowly to your lone hen.

Yes 2-1 ratio will be better, as Rosie can't target both of them at the same time. Also add extra feeder and drinker.

Intros are often tricky and also it's advisable to segregate newbies within sight for a couple of weeks first.

It's a stressful time, so maybe add a tonic to their water. Best wishes and give us an update on how things are going :wink:

Thanks to you both for your replies ....

Just after I sent my first post I went up to the run and found it was time for Rosie to lay her egg .... She was really agitated by the fact that Buttons was in the coop and decided to get her out. Once Buttons was out, Rosie was pure evil towards her, and I had to separate them.

I let Rosie calm down and then put her in the coop where she laid her egg. Just after that, I decided to put Rosie out to free range where she could still see Buttons in the run.

Ive just this minute decided im going to get another youngster this afternoon from the same barn that Buttons was in, which hopefully will mean that because they will know eachother, they would have already sorted out their own pecking order (fingers crossed here).

Well before dusk I will put Rosie back in the run, which I will divide into two, and then when dark comes I will put her in the coop with the other two, put the wild cam back in again and shut the door, then I will repeat again tomorrow.

Wish me luck!!

Yes, I got a beautiful Light Sussex Hybrid who I have named Crystal .... Thankfully Buttons has welcomed her with open wings and its all looking good on that front. Hopefully as time goes on Rosie will decide she wants to be part of the gang, but ive got a feeling ive found one of those rare hens who is quite happy with her own company.

Ill have a go at posting a couple of piccies on here of the new girls. Ive tried in the past and failed miserably as im rubbish with computers. Watch this space though, just in case :)

Thought I would let you know the latest :)

Rosie is still (now and again) having a go at the other two, but it has calmed down a lot, and I feel confident now in that I can walk away and leave them to it without any fear of it getting overly nasty.

What I have ended up having to do though, is to put another coop in the run for Rosie, as it was obvious she didnt want to go to sleep with the youngsters. She seems really happy having a coop to herself (strange little hen) and lays her eggs and sleeps in there at night. Ive also put two feeding stations in the run too.

This morning though, Rosie surprised me. It was tipping down with rain here in St Albans, and the youngsters went into the coop to get away from the bad weather, and Rosie followed them in. Five minutes later they were all sitting on the perch and having a group preening session, so im hoping that this might be a turning point, and that tonight she will go in there with them to sleep.

The youngsters are a funny pair ... For some reason when dusk comes, they sort of go into a little panic and dont know where to to go to bed. Its not until I enter the run, pat the ramp with my hand and say "come on, in you both go" that they will go into the coop, and yet during the day they are in and out of it all the time.

Chickens are such funny little animals!

Have the same problem Hennypenny and I know we both got our girlies from the same place. They dont know how to roost. Prudie the grey/blue one sits on the branch and Demelza sits on the corn bin. Both look uncomfortable but they came from a huge barn - where I dont remember seeing perches and they slept I assume on the floor. Last 2 nights put them in with Madam Maggie May who;d gone to bed in the Eglu pod and not had the good grace to show them the ropes. I have put them in the pod and shut the door - they were none too pleased and I wondered whether to leave them out - WIR is built with fox proof wire but I know that doesnt always guarantee safety in this day and age. I am at a loss as never had this prob. I know Redsunset in Scotland has girls who sleep in the trees. Prob I am being over anxious.

Alis Girls .... It sounds from what you say that your girls are trying to find the highest place in the run to roost. Is your Eglu on the floor?

Your Maggie May sounds like my Rosie with no interest in showing the ropes to the youngsters :(

Blackie, my Rhode Rock who died 2 weeks ago was wonderful at this, and taught Rosie and Roxy everything when they arrived last summer. I miss her, and maybe she is the sort of hen our girls need!

Anyway, its 9.00pm and ive just been up to the run. Rosie had taken herself to bed, thankfully in the original coop, but Buttons and Crystal were there again waiting for instructions from me to go in. So again I patted the ramp with my hand and said "come on girls in you go" and they went in straight away. I think they both got a bit of a surprise when they saw Rosie in there (I think they thought she was in the other coop). I closed the door and listened carefully. There was a lot of movement as they sorted out their positions on the perch, and then it went quiet... Phew!! I will go up there again in about 20 minutes to see if it is still quiet.

So, did you get your girls from Stagenhoe? There are perches in the barn, and ledges all around the walls of the barn.

Yes my Eglu is on the floor - then theres a branch and the food bin in the corner. I didnt notice the roosting bars etc - I need to eat more carrots :shock: but I confess I was mesmorised by the feathery bodies flying past. OH said I looked like the woman in a designer shoe shop so much choice so little time.

Demelza had found the Eglu last night and was in with MM but Prudie had to be put in protesting crossly. I think I might leave her to do it herself.

I remember being really excited when I got my original four from Stagenhoe back in 2011. I clearly remember telling myself to calm down and take stock of the all the lovely birds in there so I could choose the right ones for me ... Its difficult to believe they are all gone now. They have such short little lives don't they :(

Im contemplating leaving my two to get on with it tonight as well, although im a little worried they could fly over the electric fence if they got really panicky about where to roost, bearing in mind I know that a Fox visits during the night. I think I will just have to keep popping up there every 15 minutes or so to see what they are up to.

I wonder the stroppier the chicken the longer they live. Maggie replaced one of my Omlet girlies and then became top hen but she was picked on herself - not for long shes a bog standard GNR from a local farm and is sturdy. I got 2 from Stagenhoe - gorgeus they were. I would love to take one of each colour.

Last Saturday pm - were you the lady who argued all the way there with her OH and then backed into a post? We didnt argue but sat nav sent us thro the countryside and OH a London Lad doesnt like roads which are the size of pavements. A flock of sheep or combine harvester is likely to send him off with the guys in white coats. Me being up from t'sticks loves a ride out - town traffic gives me the vapours. But it was worth it in the end. :D

Nope T'was not me, whoever she was? ... I collected my girlies the week before you did :)

Next time you go up there, take your OH to Emily's Tea Rooms which is on the same road as the farm ... That might just convince him that the country life really isn't that bad.