dancing cloud

Best way to help a blind dog? UPDATED Bucket off!

Herbie-dog has glaucoma and it is not responding well to treatment :( . He is having surgery this afternoon to remove his right eye, which is completely blind, and have a shunt put in his left eye to reduce the pressure and preserve what vision he has as long as possible. The vet is not too hopeful about him having any sight for long :( .

I'm sure there are people out there with experience, so my question is how best do we help him with his reduced vision? I know the very basic things, like not to move the furniture around and not leave things on the floor where he can fall over them, but what else should we be considering?

Herbie lives with his mother Kia and sister Halle as a very close family pack and both of them will help him if they can.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Edited by Guest

Sorry to hear this. Hope he recovers well.

You could try putting bells on the other dogs, so he can hear them coming and also maybe on your self when you are out walking. They can get very scared when you are "sneaking up" to them, because they didn't hear you coming.

If you want to have him walk off leash, you could try hooking him up to one of the other dogs, as a guide dog principle.

Poor thing :( I am sure his sense of smell will compensate for the loss of vision. Some things I remember from reading about blind dogs are things like making sure you keep pathways in the house clear and don't move the furniture around. He will learn the way round the home and this will help him. If it were my dog, I would be inclined to use a harness and a retractable lead when out and about so he can explore but can't get lost. I hope he recovers well from his surgery and that his remaining eye keeps working for as long as possible :pray:

Edit to say just found this with some excellent ideas to help out :D

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2085&aid=3620

I hope he recovers well. My previous dog had an eye removed because of a tumour. His sight was presumed good in other eye. Initially he had a tendency to misjudge things and would turn into side of sofa etc but he quickly learned to compensate and we forgot he only had one eye. Your dog has probably been compensating for a long time and hopefully won't find it too difficult. As you say don't move furniture and the other dogs will help enormously.

Thank you so much everyone - all excellent ideas and the website provides a link to a blind dog site too.

It was such a horrible shock yesterday, when my dad took Herbie along just for pressure checks in the morning and they rang me at work to say one eye had to go and a shunt needed to be put in the other. Logically, I had known from the outset that he would lose his vision, but that's a very different thing from it actually happening and so quickly. He does still have some vision in his left eye, but how much and how long for is unknown.

More than twelve hours later Herbie was back at home last night, so dopey from the drugs that he couldn't even decide which legs were his, let alone what to do with them. And somebody had put a bucket on his head when he was asleep :shock:! My dad was very stressed by the whole thing, so I was making soothing noises at both of them, and I'm not sure which of them looks worse this morning. Dad looks like a panda and Herbie looks like the boxer that lost the fight.

The right eye lids are stitched shut and that side of his face has been shaved. It looks swollen this morning, but is clean. The left eye is slightly swollen and a bit closed, but he can see out of it and managed to eat his breakfast biccies with no problems. The big collar (known as "mister bucket" or "bouquet" if we're feeling posh) is giving him problems but he will get better with that - and we will get fewer bruises.

Fingers crossed both he and dad get some sleep today and relax a bit, but at least Herbie's up and wagging his tail again :) .

Aww bless him, and your dad. I did laugh when you mentioned someone putting a bucket on him in his sleep :lol: I guess this is the case he needs the bouquet to stop him scratching his face and an inflatable collar wouldn't do. If he feels up to it, maybe a few tasty tidbits, just to make him feel better. He probably feels like he's been through the wars a bit. And possibly the same for Herbie :wink:

Thank you everyone for your support and good wishes - both Herbie and dad are so much better :D. Gave dad the information I'd printed off and he seemed reasonably reassured we're doing the right things.

Herbie's still struggling with mr bucket, particularly with steps and doorways, but he's back in the pack with his girls and that's cheered him up no end. The vet said we had to up his potassium level and suggested banana, which Herbie absolutely loves :drool:, so he's getting all his pills cunningly hidden in pieces of banana. No fighting to get them down his throat 'cos he thinks he's getting a treat! He's being really good with all the eye drops as well, even though his eye must be a bit sore :angel:.

Dad got lots of sleep yesterday and seems a lot more relaxed now Herbies's happier. Back to the vets for the first check-up today, so fingers crossed that all is as well as it appears.

How's Herbie today. I remember with Dexter I took Mr Bucket off quite early and he had no interest in pawing at eye socket. It does look awful doesn't it. I had forgotten that bit until I read your thread. It is amazing how quickly the swelling goes down and the hair grows back and he will look handsome again.

Herbie's doing well :D. The vet was quite pleased with his progress and slightly reduced the number of pills and drops involved. He does paw at Mr Bucket though, so no chance of removal yet.

He's getting much better at not bumping into doors and steps, but he's not yet good at avoiding people and doesn't understand why he can't just shove his chin up for a tickle as usual. We'll get there!

The vet did warn that she's not sure how much sight he has in his remaining eye, though he seems very good at identifying any treats coming his way :lol:

Herbie seems to be doing well and is back at the vets again tomorrow. I'm hoping they might take the stitches out of his right eye so the bucket can come off, but I may be being too optimistic.

This weekend he was full of beans and a very happy dog - bouncing around and laughing. He even rolled over on his back for the first time since his operation and squirmed round the floor having his ribs tickled :lol:.

Fingers crossed for good news tomorrow :pray:

:dance::dance::dance:

No more Mr Bucket!

All Herbie's stitches are out and the big collar is off :D. The vet is pleased with his progress and has reduced his drops again, though the pills have stayed the same. We have been told to keep an eye on him and take him back immediately if his eye looks cloudy in any way, as this may mean the shunt is not working properly, and he's still not allowed on walks, but the bucket is gone.

Herbie was bit phased, as the world suddenly got so much bigger and he's realised he can't see all of it, so he was rather clingy last night. He's more confident this morning and definitely enjoying not bashing into doorways and being able to scratch his own ears again :D