bluekarin

Exam results time is here again/ Off to Uni

You wait, you need an articulated lorry by the time they leave, not only that you have to find room in your house for it all, because they will need 'all' of it when they get a flat! My ED has just got a job with a fixed 12 month contract, she is looking for a room in a shared house, do no doubt most of her stuff will be staying here for at least another year :roll:

Karin, I need to buy a 7 seater for all of DS1's stuff :lol:

when we spoke the other day you never mentioned I need to buy a sink :shameonu:

Haha! Feels like she has that as well.

Well, the day is finally here and my 'baby' is off on her big uni adventure. I've already had a blub, and its only 9am. I am sure it will be fine, and as Cooks said to me, deep breaths!

Karin, I need to buy a 7 seater for all of DS1's stuff :lol:

when we spoke the other day you never mentioned I need to buy a sink :shameonu:

Haha! Feels like she has that as well.

Well, the day is finally here and my 'baby' is off on her big uni adventure. I've already had a blub, and its only 9am. I am sure it will be fine, and as Cooks said to me, deep breaths!

You will be repeating that to me next week when my DS goes :lol: big love to you and Bria, she will have a fab time.

I have been washing through all his clothes and getting them packed etc.. how does one teenager have soooo many clothes and obviously he needs ALL of them. :roll:

That is a question I am still one yr on trying to answer . we had to get Es to sit on his case to get his expanding wardrobe is. ES left for shared house yesterday. This is a whole new thing for me as I lived in a Spartan nursing home in the 80's and survived. However I wasn't impressed when II first saw the 7 bedroom abode they had chosen. Didn't help it was hissing down and had builders in. Fast forward to yesterday and ES and OH built him a storage unit as only a desk double bed and miniscule wardrobe in room. Sent them to source pillows and an ironing board whilst I gave it the female touch and I have to say it looked nice and cosy. I am shocked some landlords don't provide basics. Any tips on how to deal with landlords welcomed.

For Karin and Cookie they will survive,won't starve and make friends quickly. They have to decide early on on who to move out with 2nd year ( Karin don't know if this applies to your daughter) and this I think is difficult cos u don't know people till u live with them.

My lasting memory last yr was seeing my strapping trendy son with his hair cut too short (I thought worried it madebhim look "hard") chatting to some very posh young girls and wondering if they would gel. They did and a yr on are all good mates. Don't be ashammed to have a cry and just think in a few yrs we'll have to do it all again with the next one. :wall: Ali xx

When do they have to apply for second year accommodation then? :shock: I haven't even got over this round yet. :cry:

I have no idea if I have covered everything he needs but there is a Tesco just around the corner so I can pick up anything there, pretty much.

There will definitely be tears, I was just in the local shop where he has his part time job, one of the lads who he went to school with said to me "I am going to really miss him" I almost started then.. :lol:

Good luck to everyone starting Uni soon!

We're just coming to the end of Freshers Week and start classes tomorrow, I organised lots of Freshers this year and it went really well!

We signed for our second year house in the 3rd week of November and other had houses sorted before then.

Lots of people stay with the people they share a flat with in halls as you're with your course friends all day so nice to go home to a different group.

Most student rooms are pretty bare with a bed, desk and wardrobe as standard - anything else is brought or broken.

In my 5 years as a student I've never ironed anything! :lol:

DS got a B in his maths As but we are going to get it remarked as he is just 2 marks off an A.

Did you get it remarked ? Just interested to know success rate of remarks from REAL people.

We didn't get it remarked as we ran out of time. He is going to retake it this year, so all being well it will be the mark he wants.

They usually have to start choosing their 2nd year accommodation by November. Some student houses are dire but some are great, very much depends on the landlord. My ED was lucky with hers and struck ip a friendship with the landlord and his caretaker who was also his son in law. If they co e round to fix something make them tea that helps. Her boyfriend however lived in a horrible damp flat with thick mould on the walls, he now lives in a new build block with room the size of a postage stamp but at least it is clean and dry.

Soo true - practically settled and they have to start looking again. ES's room is in the roof and was very warm - hope this bodes well for winter. We found the radiator was on :shock: OH managed to switch it off. As for ironing ES does - hes a peacock and likes to look "the biz" when going out unlike mum who resembles a hippy but scrubs up well when push comes to shove :lol: Hope you have all stopped crying and your little un's are settled. :D

God I was a mess yesterday! Feel absolutely drained today, not helped by having to be up at 6 AM for YD to be in Southampton for steroid joint injections. However, today I feel abit more positive. Have been texting Bria and she has ventured into town with her across the hall roomie :) who also helped push her in her wheelchair. I do feel for her as she is only a small girl, and my daughter is tall and big boned (not fat, just sturdy) but I know how difficult it can be to push her. She is back in halls now having some dinner.

We are going to see her this weekend as she needs some bits and bobs for her room, and to bring things I have noticed she has forgotten. Can't wait to hug her, as that is what I miss. Even though she isn't a particularly noisy girl, the house is very quiet without her here. But I guess this is what its all about with having kids. You bring them jup to let them go.

Well it was our last meal as a family for a while tonight as son is working his last day at work tomorrow and then Thursday he wakes early to go away until Saturday with all his workmates to of all things a gaming convention... we wil leave that there. :roll:

Then on Saturday he is catching a train to Nottingham where we will pick him up at the station with his stuff and go onto his accommodation.

I want him to have this experience but when its the first child it is such a shock to the system. especially when he only applied to Uni a few weeks back. Family bereavement and other issues meant that he didn't apply sooner, so now things have settled a little he felt he wanted to go. Good on him and I will support that through and through even if it makes me cry :wink:

Hey COOKS!!!!!

How're you?

Sorry to hear about family travails, and son off to uni :(

I was sad about Rosie being so independent, then a friend with older children told me that she always felt that she'd done a good job when her children were independent and confident enough to go off and do things on their own.

I still miss baby chub, cuddles and little fat feet to bite though :( all I get to kiss is the top of her head these days. :lol:

Madam has had a big think about what she wants to do; very good results at first year of A levels, has dropped Further Maths this year as she has done all she needs to on that and wants to concentrate on the others. Is continuing with Chemistry, Biology and English Lit, and has now plumped for Zoology (conservation research) at uni. She toyed with Medicine, surgery in particular, without any pressure from my family who are all either medics or finance people. We had a long talk and I made it clear that I really have no problem with what she studies, so long as it is something she enjoys, as she will be a long time at it, especially if she does a PhD. I think she will end up working in science in soma capacity, as she really enjoys it. She's now planning a gap year with plenty of proper work for the funds, and placements/internships for experience.

:lol: I heard you from Cambridge. I am good now thanks, it's been a rough year and actually even the year before but getting there now, how are you doing?

I am pleased to hear Rosie is doing so well :D I agree with your friend we haven't done too bad a job if they have that confidence.

I have just been in his room and fumigated.. I mean tidied.. :lol: that boy can hold clutter.. actually man but always my boy. :mrgreen:

His room looks like we have been robbed and I don't like it, I had to close the door.

I'm glad that I've found this thread, I thought it was just me who would be feeling bereft after dropping alihodg off at Bangor last week for his first year. The house is quiet and his little brother is missing him, as we all are. My parents have even gone to visit him this weekend :)

I take heart that we've done a good job getting him this far even though we climbed many a parental mountain and spent time in the parental valleys! I just want him to gave a great experience, he said he wants to end up with a first class degree in Spanish so I can't ask for any more from him than that.

I'm already looking forward to his third year as he spends it in Spain. Guess where I'm planning on holidaying that year?!

ahh Jules, no your not alone. I wouldn't sleep last night. Silly I know as he often slept out when here at home but I just couldn't sleep at all. :roll:

I have been told it gets easier! He is my oldest so its all new to me. Youngest (DS2) is in an apprenticeship programme and is adamant he wont want Uni "at those prices!" but we will see in a few years what he decides as I believe he has 4 years of this accounting to go through first.

It does get easier, ED graduated this year and DS has just started his second year 400 miles away, but it is worse for his girlfriend's parents because she is 4,000 miles away! Skype and Facebook messenger are a great way to keep in touch. We used to play Words with Friends, which is Scabble type app, with ED when she was away, she would play as she settled down for the night and we would know that she was safe, even if that was in the wee small hours. :roll: . Our son won't play that but I keep in touch on messenger with him and we Skype every few weeks often with his girlfriend too which is a nice way to get to know her better.

We now have just YD at home, who has just started sixth form, we enjoy our smaller family unit and spending more time together as a couple, it is important to remember what got you together in the first place.