bluekarin

Exam results time is here again/ Off to Uni

So we have As and A2 results tomorrow for ED and DS! ED will be on track from about 6am at a guess as she is already counting down the time till its open. DS doesn't seem that worried as he is only expecting two results (his school do them a year early) but for ED it matters for her getting into uni!

Then next week its GCSE's! The joys of having kids 14months apart :wink:

Good luck to you all if you are in the same boat as us :pray:

Good luck, hope all goes well for anyone waiting especially those with uni places riding on them.

This time last year I was a wreck waiting to see if DS had got his place and was going to be able to join his American girlfriend at St Andrews. A year on we are looking at the logistics of getting him back to St Andrews for his second year and making it into a holiday for us too. :D

We have GCSE's for YD next week and she is far from confident that she will get the grades to stay at her current school for sixth form, so that will be nerve wracking. :anxious:

Well done everyone :clap: !

Mixed results for niece and nephews here.

Niece did better this year but still not good enough for her first choice of career. She's sorted for a gap year though, so plenty of time for thinking and she will be applying for uni this coming year with actual results.

One nephew did less well than expected, not a career deal-breaker but still upset :( . Identical twin other nephew did better than expected :D and is now in a tizz about whether he should be re-thinking his plans :roll: .

So glad I'm not a parent!

Well done to all - it's a horrible time of year, so unsettling not knowing whether you're coming and going and having everything dependent on three or four little letters in a sealed envelope.

For those who maybe haven't done as well as they had hoped - fret not - you are young, with your whole lives ahead of you, there is PLENTY of time to rethink, reflect and probably decide on something even better than plan A. Thinking of you all xxxx

Thank goodness! She has been offered Hiatt Baker for her accommodation! Just going through the reams of info she needs to do before certain deadlines. But she has accepted her accommodation offer, so that's one off the list. Any hints and tips from seasoned uni parents please do let me know. This is all new to me, and I don't want her to miss out anything vital.

I will say she got her reading list and the first book on there is £60! Almost fell over. She doesn't need to buy it though as they have some copies there, but it does come with an ebook as well as hard copy. Well, thats worth it then :wink:

Re books - you might well find there is quite a thriving second hand market when you get to uni, last year's first years will be looking to raise cash to buy their books for this year so will target the newbies with their books for sale!!! (just don't pay over the odds for older editions!!)

It completely depends on the course as to whether you buy books or not.

I did Animal Science and it was a waste of time and money buying textbooks as I could just use the library and online journals. On the other hand my brother did an American Literature degree and read dozens of books each week, though his could be bought online quite cheaply.

I'd wait and see what the lecturers recommend before buying any and then check Uni facebook groups for second hand books.

Student Loan isn't paid until after they've registered on the course :D

Ah I see, so she doesn't get the money until she has moved into halls and then registered on the first day. That seems a bit crazy tbh! I will tell her to hold off book buying until she is there, though it would be easier if she had everything before she goes. Its not very easy for her to get about to buy things. You say to wait until she is told what to buy. Do you mean the reading list, as this is where she got this book from. I hope its got gold pages for that money ;)

Ah I see, so she doesn't get the money until she has moved into halls and then registered on the first day. That seems a bit crazy tbh!

Otherwise everyone could register for Student Finance, receive the money and not turn up to Uni!

As I say it depends on the course, if there are a few cheap literature books on the reading list she thinks she'll need then get them but I'd hold off buying expensive text books until after their first lecture when they'll usually specifically recommend X textbook. Some societies will also give discounts on books too.

So pleased your daughter got her accommodation.HB iS lovely. ES didn't get any books till several months in. Depends on course i suppose. A friend asked me what to take. I asked my son the most useful thing and he said the clothes horse :shock: . oh and a lorry as

s they want to take every bit of clothing :lol: .

Clothes horse, or airer is on the list. I want to get her the plug in one from Lakeland so it dries them if needed. I will be making sure she has enough dried/packet foods for several weeks, just until she gets her bearings. You may think I am being all mother hen with her and not cutting the strings, but we have her health issues to deal with, as well as her leaving home :cry: Luckily we have a 7 seater car so the whole boot will be free for her belongings. We do have to fit in her wheelchair, cello and guitar (not sure if acoustic or electric but I hope its the prior as then no amp) plus bedding, clothing and the kitchen sink :wink: