Alis girls

A reminder for Freshers!

Sorry got nurses hat on here. Don't forget your ACWY vaccine (meningitis ) before you go to uni. See NHS choices website for info (cant do links sorry) and your HC1 ( help with NHS costs)form needs to be filled out for free presc and NHS dental care - dont assume you'll get free presc with a student card you won't. Also be prepared to stand your ground once you have your HC2 cert (what they send you) they are not well known and I had words with dentist recp yesterday when she tried to make me pay for ES - the dentist intervened and you dont pay. If you pay before you get your cert you can claim back from where you paid at. ES has epipens so needs regular scripts. And good luck to all those on first year. And to their mums - its a stressful time - this time last yr I was in your shoes. Hugs Ali

Must admit, I was surprised that my boys were always charged at the dentist, despite being students. We just assumed that was the way it was. Thankfully, they've never had more than a scale and polish so haven't paid very much at all.

I've just had a look online but it's impossible to find the blinking forms, I'm just being sent round in circles from one site to another so have given up :wall: . May be different south of the border but it seems you only get free dental care up to age 18 if you're in full time education.

Handy advice though, Alis girls :) .

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about the prescription and dental payments. I just assumed if I said she was still in full time education then that was okay. Will get on those soon. She has however had her jab, about the second day of the surgery doing them so the nurse was still a bit cautious about it all.

I've just turned 19 so no longer get free NHS treatment (I'm not entitled to the HC2 certificate) so I'm looking into getting a prepay prescription thing. Also not looking forward to having to pay for dentist checkups, as I have to go regularly due to my heart valve disease.

Being an adult isn't as fun :(