mrsrobinson

? free range in bad weather

Hi - I have been searching the threads but cant find an answer to my question which is....when the weather is bad, like this morning it was tipping down, is it best to keep the hens shut in the run or leave the door open and leave it to them? I let them out this morning and they did shelter under a chair, a table, one stayed in the run and I don't know where the other two were. They looked pretty hunched up but as soon as the rain stopped they were out on the lawn etc. So far ( I have had them for 7 weeks) they have not stayed in the run but free range all day so I think they might be stroppy if I keep them in the run - they are ex-batts after all! There are lots of bushes and hedges in the garden so there are lots of places they can shelter.

I also would like to ask your opinion about - is it better to put the cube and the run onto a hard surface with wood chip for the winter and keep the cube and run off the grass? I do reposition the cube every week and move it a foot or two every day to stop the wheels damaging the grass which is working well. But I guess in the winter the grass is often wet and never really dries off. Is that bad for the hens?

My girls have a large enclosure with a half covered area so they can come and go in the rain as they please. They usually choose to stay under cover but i am sure if they choose to go out in it then it wont actually hurt them.

As for moving the cube on to a purpose build run, you might find it easier in the wet winters we get but as long as the hens have a dry area then I'm sure whatever you choose will be fine. I have read on this forum of a very ingenious use of a pallet as a dry platform for the hens winter before last when the rain was particularly long lasting and heavy.

When I'm home, they are allowed out. Depending on the type of rain (short shower or hours of rain) they will venture out. They actually stay driest near my back door. I have an overhang from a balcony of the upstairs neighbours.

They will be perfectly fine and will find a dry spot somewhere.

I really would recommend putting the run on a purpose built floor rather than the grass for winter. They will eat all the grass and it won't recover quick enough to have some fresh to move them to, and as you say it never really dries. Unless you're going to fastidiously poo pick then it can build up into a thick stinky mess, and the girls will dig big craters for a dustbath even if you give them one. All this gets worse if it snows.

At least, this was my experience and we're all much happier with a permanant run that stays reasonably dry! I don't free range mine all day though as the fox would get them so perhaps the grass decimation and poo buildup would be lessened in your case.

I free ranged mine all winter and now i have no grass what so ever just a huge mud bath when it raind and a dust bath in the summer.so built a wir and now going to do garden up for a second time.love my hens but want a lovely garden to.