Lewis

Eagle Meet in Slovakia

I had the most amazing weekend at a Falconry Meet in Slovakia and thought I'd share a few photos.

I got into Falconry last year and love getting out with the birds, was great to meet up with people from all over Europe and learn more about the sport.

There were people from Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Germany and the UK. I spent both days hunting with 12 Golden Eagles and there were also groups of Falcons and Hawks out - we caught deer, hare and a fox.

blogger-image-1422527495.jpg

blogger-image-1014982563.jpg

blogger-image--825095930.jpg

All the meat used is eaten by the hunters or eagles and doesn't go to waste, if the birds don't catch anything they don't eat.

We had a great time and met lots of really nice people, we've been invited to stay at a centre in Salzberg and to another centre in the middle of Slovakia.

WOW :mrgreen: Lewis, thats just amazing...thanks for posting pics and sharing!

OH and I did a falconry weekend a few years ago in Gloucestershire with an intro to the birds and handling them on the first morning then flying them in the afternoon and same next day. Just amazing creatures.....we did even consider getting our own bird/s as we knew someone else (very experienced) locally who had them and could house a few more but sadly decided that it was more of a commitment than we could stretch to :(

There is a centre very near us (Wheatley, Oxford) and we have been there a few times.

I'm lucky that with the club we currently have 8 birds I can work and get experience with and we also get lots of rehab birds in from the clinic so we're able to help with surgery and treating ailments.

I'm sure you know but owning a Bird of Prey is as much work as having a horse - they have to be weighed and perched out every morning then flown in the afternoon which takes about an hour and then put away. I currently fly a Female Harris' Hawk.

I'd love to own a BoP when I move back home but still unsure what I'd get and how to manage it with a full time job - same with anything I guess, you make it part of the daily routine and it works out :D

I'm sure you'd fit it in somehow Lewis. Went down to one of the garden centres in Basingstoke the other month and there was a fellow with a female buzzard showing her skills. But she knew he had goodies in his pocket and as soon as he started reaching for it she was zooming up to him. He said she wasn't behaving properly though and should be flying further away but she did't want to. She was happy to perch on the plant trellises. I noticed she was also moulting so perhaps that made her not want to perform. He said it was the longest moult this year - I said I'd noticed the same with my girls. He was promoting a local teaching company for falconry. Murray was quite interested (I think he's jumping ahead to catching rabbits at the new house). The guy said the buzzards born in captivity are usually smaller than the wild birds - have you found that to be so Lewis?

I don't know of many people who use Buzzards for Falconry as I think they're quite lazy, not heard of captive birds being smaller than wild.

I read recently that first year mortality for wild raptors is 70% and 5 year is up to 90% :(

When not perched out in the weathering area (and all summer when moulting) the birds are free lofted in free-flight mews so they can fly around in there and then they're flown for food each afternoon.

Wild birds spend a lot of time perched out rather than hunting and wasting energy so they seem to do well.

Dunno about that, my lot just yell when there's a sparrowhawk and that'd diddy compared with the other birds of prey here.

Probably laziness is a buzzard thing - maybe kites too? Seeing as they are happy for road kill wherever possible. Plenty of that round here! Come across so many in our walks that are along the lanes and their wingspans just fill the path - awesome sight and we stop and catch our breath and watch them glide so gracefully up and away. Would love to have an eagle owl though.