Alis girls

Elderly cats and behaviour

Anyone got older cats who

1 wander round - dont want food, water or a cuddle, or to go out. What do they want

2 Meaow a lot

3 Go out , come in go out come in - you get the idea

4 spend ALL day outside and come in and c--p in little tray :vom:

They are aged anything between 11- 14 (rescue cats so not that sure) so not over the hill.#

Is this normal or start of dementia?

That is SO spooky because I almost posted EXACTLY the same questions earlier this week about one of ours who is 13.

Almost like he's bored. In addition to all of those except the litter tray one he'll go absolutely mental tearing around the house.

From what I've read with dementia they are unhappy because they don't recognise where they are, and I don't think that's the case with Smudgie. But I do wonder whether it might be the early stages...

The meowing is mostly because they go slightly deaf.

iPoes is somewhere between 8 and 12 years and getting on in age and behaviour. But then again, she isn't the most intelligent kitty out there. She does meow a lot, especially at night.

Not much to do about the wandering, but you could try different foods, specially made for aging kitties. Something with a stronger taste and smell, because I also believe their smell/taste deteriorates and makes them less interested in food.

We've had one who did this when he got to about 15/16 years old - the meowing seemed to be when he first came in and was trying to work out where everyone was - we all got very used to calling his name very loudly from wherever we were in the house - goodness knows what the neighbours thought was going on :oops: In Max's case I think he was losing his hearing - though it did appear to be selective - he could still hear the fridge door open even when he was upstairs! He also stopped caring about being caught on kitchen surfaces, and would 'shout' loudly each morning, in a very stroppy way, demanding breakfast :roll: Didn't have any litter box issues though - he'd always been a lad that ran home for a wee and then went straight out again to continue s"Ooops, word censored!"ping with the neighbours' cats :wall:

We have an elderly rescue cat who suffers from anxiety triggered cystitis.

She would constantly be wanting to go out and then come straight back in again. She went off her food too and the vet said to change her diet to wet food which she now devours. It seems that she was desperate for the water content from wet food and wouldn't think to compensate by drinking water :roll:

She's now on a tablet of Cystophan once a day which we sprinkle on her food and is starting to settle down a bit.

It may be a completely different situation with your cats but just thought it was worth sharing :)

Gosh, must be something in the air as we are having a similar problem with Mr Yoyo. He is 13 and is meowing a lot! He is eating and drinking fine, so I'm not worried about that aspect. But he is following us around a lot. After a little bit of google research, I think he is at the start of some form of demetia and just needs reasuring. After a few days of just saying hello to him a bit more, giving him a bit more love, he is quieter and I think feels more secure. I do wonder if his eyesight is not what it was as they are seeming not quite so bright. Not cloudy as such, but just not sparkly clear.