merlina

(yet another) ebay rant/warning

About a month ago my SO bought a van via ebay.

He won the auction, went to pick up the van, handed over cash and was given the documents.

Last night he got a 'unpaid dispute' notice from ebay that he hadn't paid for the van.

Ebay wants evidence that he paid - and will accept copies of cheques or paypal receipts - methods that precisely no-one uses for vehicles!

He has a witness that he paid cash, and it seems to me that a seller wouldn't have handed over keys/documentation without it - but common sense isn't ebay's forte!

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

I....when your OH completed the transaction, did he actually mark the van as paid for?

Good question - no idea! TBH when I've paid cash (for things like washing machines etc that I've collected locally), I've probably never bothered. Altho I do usually leave feedback.

OH and DS have sold vehicles on eBay and they have always given the buyer a receipt saying paid with cash and sold as seen. They have both signed it and kept a copy each. Did your OH get anything in writing. Common sense would suggest that if you were the seller you would not let any one drive off with the vehicle if they had not paid. Did the seller sign the DVLA document that the seller signs to say they no longer own the vehicle (I think I am right but legislation may now have changed).

Hope you get it sorted

Chrissie

It wasn't an expensive van, so there wasn't a receipt (there certainly would have been if I'd been there!). Men seem to not like paperwork ;)

My SO did all the DVLA paperwork etc, so I assume things must have been appropriately signed (he has the new docs back from the DVLA)

And I asked him about ebay feedback etc - he marked it paid and left feedback the day after he picked it up, about a month ago.

Wit my legal hat on, I'm confident there's no legal case against him, but ebay so often seem a law unto themselves and some to some frankly weird decisions.

I guess this is a warning to anyone paying cash to get a receipt!

Maybe he hasn't marked it as paid as he doesn't want to pay ebays astronomical sellers fee's....not your problem though, maybe email him and ask him to mark it as paid and then you will know what he is up to if anything.

Apparently PayPal are getting something similar, not sure how it works but something to do with reversing the payment???

He's not just not marked it as paid, he's opened an unpaid item dispute.

That's what SO is worried about - he really doesn't need his ebay account damaging (and certainly can't afford for ebay to take the money again!).

The van was listed in the wrong category - hence SO getting it cheaply, I suspect

That means the seller will pay more fees than if it was in the 'right' one. So I think you're right, the seller just doesn't want to pay the higher fees.

SO has responded to the unpaid dispute with a friendly note asking the seller what's going on, but after 2 days had no response.

Well he called today and got the strike taken from his account - so he's at least happy with that.

They seemed OK, when he explained about the documents etc.

Annoying that it came to that - and that the seller will doubtless get away with no more than having to pay his fees after all.

Thanks for all your comments - much appreciated :clap: