soapdragon

Can I wash a Kipling bag?

I have just bought a second hand Kipling bag from E Bay and it is, sadly, rather grubby :wall: ! I have tried to spot clean it but that didn't seem to work and I cannot find any cleaning instructions on the label.

Does anyone know if these bags can be machine washed on a delicates cycle? I do recall hearing somewhere that they can go in the machine but, at £25.00 inc postage, I don't want to risk it without better advice :think: !

Thanks, peeps :D !

looking at the FAQs on their website, I would guess machine washing is not a good idea.

Care instructions for fabric bags: Clean the outside fabric with a slightly wet cloth. Do not bleach. Do not soak in water. Hang in a shady place. In case of a deep stain, clean the fabric with a cloth or soft brush using water and neutral soap. A universal-use protective spray (i.e. Scotchguard – found in most shoe or handbag departments) may be used to keep the product looking clean. When your fabric bag is combined with leather, avoid moistening the leather when cleaning.

You could email them to check for your specific bag? Or ask on their FB page?

Thanks for that :D .....I had seen general advice not to machine wash but, equally, had heard someone saying that they always put theres in the machine - something to do with dog biscuits!!- and all was fine! Its a bit like the dry clean only clothes that do just fine on a delicates!!!

I'll try again with the soap and cloth!!!!!

If its a fabric bag, I'd wash it on a gentle wash. I washed my Fat Face one a few times, not realising in the lining of the flap was some card to act as a stiffener, which crumbled and went a bit funny. Still a useable bag and I'd risk it, as either way you've wasted £25 whether you do it or not, and the likelihood is it will wash okay.

Yipeeeee! It worked.........delicates at 30 degrees with a slow spin and a drip dry so now looks nice and fresh (and smells it too) and much less grubby!

Thanks for the advice everyone......whilst I have no doubt that washing too often will not be a good thing its nice to know it can go in the machine if the worst happens. I may even look at some more on E bay! They have so many pockets and are very lightweight :whistle:

Yay! :dance:

I was going to say try it on a delicates setting too.

I buy most of my clothes second hand so tend to ignore washing instructions...unless I see the words dry clean only and the fabric content includes acetate. Bought a stunning dress for a pound many years ago and ignored the dry clean only advice and it came out of the wool cycle doll sized :shock:

I also washed a lovely wool (alexon) jacket and the wool was fine but the lining was acetate, it needed a bit of lining adjustment before I could wear it!

Acetate is not my friend :evil:

I am new to the brand but love the less bulky, cross body bags like the Elizea or Alvar. Loads of pockets and very lightweight. Also, as I have just discovered, a breeze to wash! Very hard wearing too. You might like to try E bay for one to see how you get on with the brand before investing....QVC do them too but they sell out amazingly quickly...its also useful to have a look at reviews for them on QVC.

I have used Kipling bags for many years & have always washed them in a machine, as up until a couple of years ago, that was the advice on the website.

Then....disaster struck!

My very very favourite colour bag (I use the Defea bag & have a range of shades) was a gorgeous metallic blue. I machine washed it & all the metallic coating fell off.

So I checked the website to find that the advice had changed.

Some, like the bag I like best, have leather bits on the sraps too, which don't wear well in the washing machine.

All that said, I love Kipling bags & am determined to replace my favourite one at some point :lol:

Oh no Cinnamon! I bet you were spitting feathers! Have you managed to replace it yet?

The bag I have just washed is an Alvar and its a little on the small side but good for everyday. I also have an Elizea bought NWT from E bay and thats a bit bigger...perfect size but not bulky. Even my mum, at 82, is a convert tho, from the weight of her bag, it appears that she caries bricks :roll:

It seems that the basic nylon ones are fine on a delicates wash but anything metallic or with leather anywhere are not so good!

I have used mine now for a few days and am impressed.....the zips seem very 'solid' and the bag itself is very light (good job too as I fill it with all my junk!!!) Will be trawling E Bay for some more in diff colours but prob same design!