SarahGlymond

Help and tips needed

I have a very broody chook. She has been in the nest box for 2 days now, yesterday I just kept removing her from the best box but she just kept going back. Today I have dunked her in cool water a couple of times to cool her off but that hasn't worked either . She has plucked all her feathers from her chest and I'm worried she isn't eating much (she will eat if I remove her from the nest box)

Do I just let her ride it out and hopefully she will get bored that the eggs don't hatch do I keep dunking her or is there anything else I can do ?

There are lots of tips on here re broody crate but I just let them get on with it. I turf them out beside the food and water four or five times a day and remove any eggs. They do get very thin. I don't think I would put them in cold water. I did read about it cooling them but I also read somewhere it could shock them too much.

if they sit on eggs even duds then 99% won't give up. if I've got a broody that I won't use then I just keep turfing her out of the nest box and remove any eggs as soon as possible I don't isolate nor dunk in water personally I think it's a cruel practice broodiness is a hormonal not a temperature triggered event

I've got 2 broodies sitting on eggs and 2 wannabes most I've had at one time ones a first timer and about 6 years old to

Another one here for just removing from the nest box several times a day, have six broodies at the moment, I have pekins. I have tried dog crates before with no success and don't believe in dunking either. For me it's just part of having broody breeds so I just make sure they come out to feed.

I pretty much let mine get on with it as well. My Araucana is having her second broody spell this year it goes on for about 5 or 6 weeks each time.

I turf her out of the nest box and as soon as I can I shut the coop door so she can't get back in. I have to watch out for the others in case they want to lay later in the day though. It's a bit of a bind having her broody for so long, but she's good tempered about being evicted every day and runs off into the garden to forage quite happily. I know some chickens turn into evil pecking machines when they're broody so I guess I got off lightly with her!

She seems to eat enough and doesn't noticeably lose condition or weight and I don't have a broody cage set up as yet, although I may consider getting one later if she's going to be broody every couple of months.

She refused to look up at me for the photo - I think she was hoping I'd go away if she didn't look!

b5d49274-fdcd-4b96-8e7c-ab76223efa3b_zpsd4lbjdho.jpg

Thanks guys I only dunked her a couple of times and it didn't work I don't have a broody cage as I have never needed one before this is my first time with a broody hen.

I just keep turfing her out its didn't realise it could last that long

I feel bad she is missing this lovely weather and free roaming round the garden I'm back at work in a week and they will be confined to their run so she will be in the nest all day then ! :wall:

You can use any kind of cage, doesn't have to be a specific chicken broody cage. Small dog/cat or bird cage and depending on size of your chicken I think even a hamster cage (sure someone on the forum uses one for bantams). As long as cool air can circulate. You can put the cage in your run up on a couple of bricks as shown by Lewis.

hamster cage (sure someone on the forum uses one for bantams)

That'll be me :D

Sometimes it works completely in 3 days and nights, other times they still are 'slightly' broody and i need to kick them out of the nest box a few times and at night, but only for a few days.

It has a solid bottom (which is like a litter tray really) do I just use it upside down and on bricks as per Lewis' picture. Was less than £15 from Trago.

I had problems with my silver Sussex when she was younger and lived in the Eglu, it was dark and comfortable in the nesting area, she has been fine since she moved to the larger wooden house, but that may just have been a coincidence as she got older anyway, but she still lays regularly.

I just used to turf her out regularly until she got bored, it is a battle of wills though.